Away from the Dome... | Syracusefan.com

Away from the Dome...

corpjet

Board Prophet
It's no secret we have struggled away from the dome under Dino, whether its been because of bad weather or simply we haven't played as well...

Is our offense that susceptible to "non climate controlled" conditions...

It's no secret we have struggled away from the dome under Dino, whether its been because of bad weather or simply we haven't played as well...

It seems we struggle on the road, but who have we lost to that we were supposed to beat? Had road wins last year at UCONN and BC and have been competitive in all four road games this year, three against ranked opponents, the other a team loaded with 4 and 5 star players (traveling more than 1000 miles and to a very different climate 3x).

It seems we struggle on the road, but who have we lost to that we were supposed to beat? Had road wins last year at UCONN and BC and have been competitive in all four road games this year, three against ranked opponents, the other a team loaded with 4 and 5 star players (traveling more than 1000 miles and to a very different climate 3x).

Yes, this.

What team doesn't "struggle on the road" when playing Top 25 caliber teams on the road??

We were IN ALL FOUR GAMES until the end. All single-digit losses.
I'll take that sort of "struggling on the road", over eviscerating blowouts like we used to enjoy under the prior regime.

there's a noticeable difference between losing at FSU by 3 and say... Georgia Tech a couple years ago.

To this day I am still amazed that our HC out-sourced the defensive gameplan for that week. Here we have a guy who was given the head coaching job based on his success as a DC, and he brings someone one to assist with the defensive game plan that week.

To this day I am still amazed that our HC out-sourced the defensive gameplan for that week. Here we have a guy who was given the head coaching job based on his success as a DC, and he brings someone one to assist with the defensive game plan that week.
I never thought about it like that but good god what a trainwreck. I hope our current staff sticks around because my heart and my liver can't take another staff like that.

The worst coached game/week in SU history was the Georgia Tech week.

IMO. And we all know there has been some bad ones lol.

I think we’ve played better on the road this year than we have in a long, long time.

It’s too bad we caught Miami in an “up” year on the crossover game and scheduled LSU in the same year.

I really don't think it's a "thing", more like it's just inevitable, that when you're rebuilding a program in college, you reach milestones slowly.
Milestones:
win a game
win a game on the road
win a game vs. a ranked team
win a road game vs a ranked team
win 5 games
win 6 games
win 10 games
etc.
Have been reaching milestones at a very acceptable rate considering it should take 3-4 years to change a program.
We've checked off a lot of boxes, but beating a ranked team on the road isn't one yet. It will come though. Dino didn't just say it to hear himself talk. Patience.

I don't have the data, but it seems like teams struggle on the road in college football more than any other sport. Probably makes sense given the combination of age of players and raucous atmospheres of the stadiums.

Glass half full says we should be thrilled that the average margin of defeat is 7 points considering how poor of a start we've had in each game. We've outplayed all of them in the 2nd half. So many teams fold when it starts going bad. Even happened to Ohio State this past weekend, who pretty much has owned road games over the years, more than any other program.

there's a noticeable difference between losing at FSU by 3 and say... Georgia Tech a couple years ago.

Absolutely, we are playing really good football on the road. The one road difference is the fact ED doesn't get out of the gate on road aa he does in the dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom