Incredibly Frustrating For The Coaching Staff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly Frustrating For The Coaching Staff

One of the things I mentioned before the game that I was concerned about was whether Judah would focus more on outplaying Joe versus helping the team win the game. 0-4 from 3pt hurt. He's now at 29.3% for the year. He's a red hot 23% from 3pt the last 5 games.

Judah last night: 8-21 FG; 0-4 3pt; 4-7 FT; 3 Reb; 4 assists; 1 TO; 20 pts
Joe last night: 5-8 FG; 4-7 3pt; 7-7 FT; 3 Reb; 4 assists; 1 TO; 21 pts

Joe was better in just about every aspect of the game. He was much more efficient, played within the flow of the game, and did what was needed to help Clemson win.

Someone should tell Judah that he wasn't the replacement for Joe. JJ was.

so many tweeners on this roster

almost everyone is, really

having players suited to their roles would really help next year
Injuries have been the biggest cause of this and a certain player getting kicked off the team. Think about it, Brown wouldn't have to play the 5 if Jesse were still here and/or wouldn't have to play as much if McCloud were not injured. Brown is so good at playing the way he's asked but I think he has more offense than what we've seen. JT is playing out of position because of dude that couldn't act straight and is no longer on the team. That's two positions right there.

I think Judah could be we suited for PG, if he would look for others more. I think his issue is more decision making and/or desire than ability. For whatever reason, he's chooses to play more hero ball than a facilitator (which he could do). I see Cope as a PG, but he's plugged in at other places due to other limitations on the team.

Last edited:
Injuries have been the biggest cause of this and a certain player getting kicked off the team. Think about it, Brown wouldn't have to play the 5 if Jesse were still here and/or wouldn't have to play as much if McCloud were not injured. Brown is so good at playing the way he's asked but I think he has more offense than what we've seen. JT is playing out of position because of dude that couldn't act straight and is no longer on the team. That's two positions right there.

I think Judah could be we suited for PG, if he would look for others more. I think his issue is more decision making and/or desire than ability. For whatever reason, he's chooses to play more hero ball than a facilitator (which he could do). I see Cope as a PG, but he's plugged in at other places due to other limitations on the team.
a lot of these guys wuld be tweeners no matter what the roster looked like

judah - playing PG - not really a PG
Brown - was playing only center when mcleod was healthy...we dont even know how he would look as a PF, really
Taylor - what position is he? not a PF, at best he is 3rd best SF, too (ok, not really a tweener ...I guess he is basically a small forward...but playing him out of position hurts a lot...and he isnt playing at a starting level at any position)
Bell - not really a forward not really a guard
Benny - was a shooting guard in a PF body, with PF skillset..or whatever he was...wasnt truly a PF
Cope - I guess he's really a PG...but he plays forward for this team

part is playing guys out of position, part of is trying to play "positionless" basketball

problem is there are serious gaps in the roster's skillset...no inside scoring, weak PG play, very poor rebounding, weak 3pt shooting etc

if youre going positionless...you cant have no presence inside and you cant not be strong from 3...being strong from 3 can mitigate lack of inside socring a bit...

a lot of these guys wuld be tweeners no matter what the roster looked like

judah - playing PG - not really a PG
Brown - was playing only center when mcleod was healthy...we dont even know how he would look as a PF, really
Taylor - what position is he? not a PF, at best he is 3rd best SF, too (ok, not really a tweener ...I guess he is basically a small forward...but playing him out of position hurts a lot...and he isnt playing at a starting level at any position)
Bell - not really a forward not really a guard
Benny - was a shooting guard in a PF body, with PF skillset..or whatever he was...wasnt truly a PF
Cope - I guess he's really a PG...but he plays forward for this team

part is playing guys out of position, part of is trying to play "positionless" basketball

problem is there are serious gaps in the roster's skillset...no inside scoring, weak PG play, very poor rebounding, weak 3pt shooting etc

if youre going positionless...you cant have no presence inside and you cant not be strong from 3...being strong from 3 can mitigate lack of inside socring a bit...

I think Brown is a pretty solid 4. He's also shown he has some range, but we don't know how consistent because that's not his role right now.

Taylor isn't really a tweener. He just lost his way. If he was shooting the 3 like just about everyone predicted/expected, he could be a very effective small forward. His issue is more lack of talent that he's showing.

Bell isn't a forward? Huh?? What is he, a center? Of course he's a forward and could be very good in his role if he would exert more energy on the other stuff (defending, rebounding, driving) which he has shown he is fully capable of doing.

A lot of our issues right now are due to injuries and how the roster was constructed prior to Red. Some of the other issues we have are due to a talent deficiency.

I think Brown is a pretty solid 4. He's also shown he has some range, but we don't know how consistent because that's not his role right now.

Taylor isn't really a tweener. He just lost his way. If he was shooting the 3 like just about everyone predicted/expected, he could be a very effective small forward. His issue is more lack of talent that he's showing.

Bell isn't a forward? Huh?? What is he, a center? Of course he's a forward and could be very good in his role if he would exert more energy on the other stuff (defending, rebounding, driving) which he has shown he is fully capable of doing.

A lot of our issues right now are due to injuries and how the roster was constructed prior to Red. Some of the other issues we have are due to a talent deficiency.
regardless there are a lot of players on the team unsuited to their roles...good players but either out of position or they literally dont have a position

you can say brown is a good 4 but when has he actually played there and proven it?

judah runs the point - but also is kinda more a shooting guard.

bell is more of a guard but doesnt really have a handle and i dont think ive ever seen him get an assist...his defense is pretty poor...cant guard a guard and cant guard a lot of forwards...his rebonding is very low ...but hes a great shooter. point being - what is his position? well hes a "tweener"...or someone who doesnt really hav a position...like a lot of players on the team.

it can still work - as long as at least one player can carry out the different roles needed...but i this case the forwards are too small, the center is tool small, the guards dont create enough, and the 3pt shooting is hit or miss...and bc of all that the team often has to rely on ios on offense and gets demolished by body teams in the paint.

your center is a PF/C
your PG is a combo guard
your 2 guard is ...idk...a very passive support player most of the time
your 2 forwards are both small forwads who struggle to rebound and guard the post.
no PF

idk...what are you saying? you dont think the team has any tweeners?

regardless there are a lot of players on the team unsuited to their roles...good players but either out of position or they literally dont have a position

you can say brown is a good 4 but when has he actually played there and proven it?

bell is more of a guard but doesnt really have a handle and i dont think ive ever seen him get an assist...his defense is pretty poor...cant guard a guard and cant guard a lot of forwards...his rebonding is very low ...but hes a great shooter. point being - what is his position? well hes a "tweener"...or someone who doesnt really hav a position...like a lot of players on the team.

it can still work - as long as at least one player can carry out the different roles needed...but i this case the forwards are too small, the center is tool small, the guards dont create enough, and the 3pt shooting is hit or miss...and bc of all that the team often has to rely on ios on offense and gets demolished by body teams in the paint.

your center is a PF/C
your PG is a combo guard
your 2 forwards are both small forwads who struggle to rebound and guard the post.
no PF

I'd change C to "is a PF". Mailq is doing an admirable job but he is not a C by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree about Judah. The criticism of Judah by others is way over board based on their idea of what a PG is supposed to be. I agree Judah is not that. But he has been called the "best scoring guard in the country." Whether that is true or not its sad so many want to criticize Judah for what he is not instead of enjoying what he is. Judah is 100x better as a PG than Joe was.

I'd also suggest that both Taylor and Bell are better equipped to play the 2 than either is at the 3.

I think Red has done an amazing job considering he is playing with only one true frontcourt player and only one true shooter. How do you win 20 in face of that?

If Tennessee hadn't picked up the best player in the country as an unheralded transfer I think we beat them that game in Maui I was there second row and he was the only one that was anything special just abused Taylor and shut him out. How do you get someone that good as an unheralded transfer from Northern Colorado?

Wonder what the season is like if we get that win.

If Tennessee hadn't picked up the best player in the country as an unheralded transfer I think we beat them that game in Maui I was there second row and he was the only one that was anything special just abused Taylor and shut him out. How do you get someone that good as an unheralded transfer from Northern Colorado?

He’s going to be a top five draft pick.

21 wins

your center is a PF/C
your PG is a combo guard
no PF

Meh

I'd change C to "is a PF". Mailq is doing an admirable job but he is not a C by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree about Judah. The criticism of Judah by others is way over board based on their idea of what a PG is supposed to be. I agree Judah is not that. But he has been called the "best scoring guard in the country." Whether that is true or not its sad so many want to criticize Judah for what he is not instead of enjoying what he is. Judah is 100x better as a PG than Joe was.

I'd also suggest that both Taylor and Bell are better equipped to play the 2 than either is at the 3.

I think Red has done an amazing job considering he is playing with only one true frontcourt player and only one true shooter. How do you win 20 in face of that?
these guys are still very talented basketball players...even though it is a hodge podge group - talent trumps almost everything inbasketball...so that's why they are able to overcome these issues - but when the talent is equal...it rears its ugly head - I honestly feel these guys are talented to a man to be on par with the UNC's and Duke's...its just this kind of incomplete, areas that are kinda missing etc where the difference comes in...if that makes any sense

thing about Judah is that - at least from where I am sitting - especially, for example in the Clemson game, people see the ball hogging and iso offense...but I think it was be necessity, not choice...I think that Clemson D shut down almost everyone and without a socring threat in the post there wasnt any way to open it up outside of isolation plays. I could be totally missing the plot but that's how it seemed to me when I watched the game -Bell couldnt get separation, Brown couldn't either. JJ was locked down more than usual. Taylor was non-existant - the d was too good. What's left? Judah and Cope making special plays - it was odd how they didnt try to feature Cope more...and thats where my criticism comes in...it seems they have options i games they dont use...but Judah Iso was ALWAYS going to be a big part of any game vs Clemson, imo

problem with both taylor and bell is that they cannot create their own shot or get separation. bell seems to be developing that and has the athleticism but not really enough off the dirrble yet to be a shooting guard in an iso offense, perhaps...at least bell'sshooting is good enough to keep him out there...and his defense is getting better...slowly...not really sure taylor has a postion he can play well, tbh

id like to point to knecht as exhibit 1 when people say you cannot pick up talent in the portal or even that you cant get good players to come unless they are promised minutes...knecht showed up n tenn campus and was instantly their best player - if that happens - you play...if it doesnt you have to know your role

there is ALWAYS talent in the portal and via transfer

id like to point to knecht as exhibit 1 when people say you cannot pick up talent in the portal or even that you cant get good players to come unless they are promised minutes...knecht showed up n tenn campus and was instantly their best player - if that happens - you play...if it doesnt you have to know your role

there is ALWAYS talent in the portal and via transfer
True but he’s hardly the norm. Pretty sure JJ was ranked way higher as a transfer.

The dude is so good that he makes the rest of the team which is a preseason top 10 roster all 4th and 5th year guys look mediocre.

these guys are still very talented basketball players...even though it is a hodge podge group
I tend to agree - kind of like 6 corner pieces for a rectangular or square puzzle.

This team has one shooter and you can’t win with only one shooter. JJ is not a shooter. Not even close. Anyone who thinks Moore isn’t playing next year is not watching. Who on this team could score 67 points in a thirty-two minute game? I’m not sure anyone could score that much with no defense on the floor.

I remember Red being such a smart player. These guards must eat away at his kishkes.
Red the player would have physically dominated every player on our roster including Maliq.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom