Axe has been axed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Axe has been axed

Mark is a big time radio host in Pittsburgh. Covering all the teams. He just put out this tweet. Expect to see ALL of the radio hosts in the big markets put out similar tweets in the coming hours. This story is about to BLOW UP!

Too negative? Anyone see the selection show? See UCONN get that 4 seed? Remember when we got 4 seeds? Now we don't even get NIT. Negativity is deserved. SU sports are a shell from the BE days. We probably can't survive without the ACC but it also killed us competitively, not sure why but I don't think it's coincidence either.

Reading between the lines it sounds as if Levine felt like Axe wanted the program to do poorly. Though I wouldn’t go that far, that is the risk one runs if they are consistently negative all the time; it starts to come across like they want the program to fail.

I do agree it would have been better for Levine to not say anything at all, almost sounds like a bit of bad blood.
Axe did NOT want any SU program to do poorly. He correctly pointed out when we stunk in the sports we stunk in(a lot right now). He went after JB harder than anyone locally and it didn't happen until the last year.. Late in my opinion.

Levine has a box and courtside tickets for SU basketball while his company broadcasts the big 3 sports on his radio stations.

If Axe had some substantive reporting on the team and stats and trends and breakdown of relevant team performance info then fine go after the coaches - but make your case that you’re an expert in your field and then you’ve earned the right to blow as hard as you want. My opinion

Cuse fans may be beautiful
and Axe may be grand, but
James Arthur Boeheim is the big boss man.

What recent results from the Athletic Department deserved positivity? Ever since the football team started 6-0 everything has been garbage.

Frankly, it's embarrassing why he was fired.

It's the reason people don't trust media.

We have a national championship in men's soccer that was pretty awesome and the women's lax team looks NC worthy.

We have a national championship in men's soccer that was pretty awesome and the women's lax team looks NC worthy.
I don’t disagree, but he primarily covers football, basketball, lacrosse. Everything there has been a dumpster fire since October.

It’s also the sports that broadcast on Ed’s radio stations.

If Axe had some substantive reporting on the team and stats and trends and breakdown of relevant team performance info then fine go after the coaches - but make your case that you’re an expert in your field and then you’ve earned the right to blow as hard as you want. My opinion
If you miss the NIT two years in a row after decades of tournament appearances, elites 8s, etc then you don't need to be an expert to see that something broke up on the hill. My opinion.

Thedotcom is 100% going to give him a pay bump to do a podcast, right? No brainer

Or I could listen to someone behave in a toxic fashion and consistently criticize the program, while lobbing softball questions to coaches irl. That was my experience watching/ listening to Axe.

No thanks.

Not sure you have the right guy……

Axe consistently asked probing questions that Syracuse University didn’t like.

Including the questions at the presser on Wednesday for JB.

This was an issue with JB and him and now has tarnished the integrity of this radio station.

Clearly this radio station is a mouth piece for Syracuse University and only things can be reported that are positive.

Imagine being a worker now there? You’re not going to say anything negative, whether it’s true or not, about Syracuse for fear of your job.

If you’re the person replacing him, you know you can’t be critical of Syracuse and if you are, you will be fired.

That’s the issue at hand here. Not so much Axe and his show but the fact that galaxy media just put their integrity on the line

What recent results from the Athletic Department deserved positivity? Ever since the football team started 6-0 everything has been garbage.

Frankly, it's embarrassing why he was fired.

It's the reason people don't trust media.
Wasn't there a Soccer National Championship? Isn't there a track All-American? Were 5 teams ranked at some point in fall sports? Yeah FB went to a bowl game...oh no. They started the new wings for athletics at Manley. Dome is done. They retired two jerseys with no mispellings ;). Aren't they getting a crap ton of donations? Jalen freaking Hurts was at a meaningless regular season game this season. Red got a Sportscenter interview.

Why are we negative?...What is going on? lol Sometimes it's hard to guage some of you on what you want to be happy..you know...sports wise

Wasn't there a Soccer National Championship? Isn't there a track All-American? Were 5 teams ranked at some point in fall sports? Yeah FB went to a bowl game...oh no. They started the new wings for athletics at Manley. Dome is done. They retired two jerseys with no mispellings ;). Aren't they getting a crap ton of donations? Jalen freaking Hurts was at a meaningless regular season game this season. Red got a Sportscenter interview.

Why are we negative?...What is going on? lol Sometimes it's hard to guage some of you on what you want to be happy..you know...sports wise
The b-ball team to be in the top 25 and NCAA tournament pretty much every year, and the football team to go to more bowl games than they miss.

Most of the stuff you named is meaningless.

The b-ball team to be in the top 25 and NCAA tournament pretty much every year, and the football team to go to more bowl games than they miss.

Most of the stuff you named is meaningless.
Yep...

Football - Be in bowl more than not; be in big time game every once in a while and maybe win that game once in awhile; not be embarrassing, in general. To me, this season hit the bare minimum where we are at, so COOL

Basketball - BE IN THE TOURNEY. 1 time in 4 years is bad despite the sugar coating. "Be happy we have a team" isn't good enough for me.

Axe did NOT want any SU program to do poorly. He correctly pointed out when we stunk in the sports we stunk in(a lot right now). He went after JB harder than anyone locally and it didn't happen until the last year.. Late in my opinion.

Levine has a box and courtside tickets for SU basketball while his company broadcasts the big 3 sports on his radio stations.
I admit that I never listened to Brent Axe on the radio.

But I followed him on social media.

And I have read him for years.

It seemed to me that he really went after Jim Boeheim this year. And, he has gone after other coaches in the past.

I have no issue with sports opinion. I actually enjoy it when it is well founded.

But, I do have a problem with radio sports hosts/sports writers who attempt to sway public opinion, but who have no expertise or insight into the subject matter.

I could be wrong, but that was my impression of Axe.

I admit that I never listened to Brent Axe on the radio.

But I followed him on social media.

And I have read him for years.

It seemed to me that he really went after Jim Boeheim this year. And, he has gone after other coaches in the past.

I have no issue with sports opinion. I actually enjoy it when it is well founded.

But, I do have a problem with radio sports hosts/sports writers who attempt to sway public opinion, but who have no expertise or insight into the subject matter.

I could be wrong, but that was my impression of Axe.
So you had no issues with, Doug Gottlieb, for example...because he played? or Seth Greenberg...because he coached?

(Both said Jim should retire, fwiw).

So you had no issues with, Doug Gottlieb, for example...because he played? or Seth Greenberg...because he coached?

I tuned him out years ago because he thought it was funny when Robinson was fired during an interview with Boeheim. Coach didn't appreciate axes' take and told him so. I happened to catch a comment by Axe after a fb loss last fall, and sent him a response saying his criticism was over the top and a got an arrogant snarky response. Right or wrong, it seems some fans have had enough.

I never suggested that an opinion host must have played or coached to offer insightful or fact-based opinion.

Bob Costas provides thoughtful analysis though he never played or coached.

Ray Didinger in Philadelphia provides very strong football analysis - as good as you’ll ever hear - though he never played or coached.

Bob Ryan. Dan Shaughnessy. Mike Francesa.

There are any number of sports journalists who build their knowledge base - learn the sport - and develop a substantive understanding of the issues.

Brent Axe provided little evidence of having done that.

By the way, I felt that Jim Boeheim should have done what Jay Wright did - leave a bit too early rather than a bit too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom