b williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

b williams

I don't know what JB's asked the kid to do, but here is what I see with Benny:

A kid that has raw tools that eventually could create a good basketball player that once in a while we'll see flashes of.

But I also see a kid that appears to be trying to be something he is not - Kevin Durant. He's not the first, won't be the last, a million kids that are wings think they are. But the rub is that it's simply stripping away everything he should be focusing on. He should be able to defend 1-4 with his attributes and maybe small bigs (I understand we're not playing man) and / or cover tons of ground in the zone. He should be able to high point rebounds above a lot of other guys. On offense I wish to god he would focus on living above the rim, scoring close to the bucket and grabbing O boards.

Also, I'm not sure what the deal is with him getting into it every time he's in a scrum for a loose ball. It appears performative at best and will kill us in a close game at worst.

He is below 40% from the field, at 20% from three, he's at 63% from the line, his TS% and eFG% are only ahead of JT's, and I won't touch his other stats because it's still early.

Board, defend, be active, be smart on O, set monster screens, own the baseline, just stop trying to be a jump shooter my man. NBA Avenue is not down that road for you and someone needs to convince him of that.

A kid that has raw tools that eventually could create a good basketball player that once in a while we'll see flashes of.

But I also see a kid that appears to be trying to be something he is not - Kevin Durant. He's not the first, won't be the last, a million kids that are wings think they are. But the rub is that it's simply stripping away everything he should be focusing on. He should be able to defend 1-4 with his attributes and maybe small bigs (I understand we're not playing man) and / or cover tons of ground in the zone. He should be able to high point rebounds above a lot of other guys. On offense I wish to god he would focus on living above the rim, scoring close to the bucket and grabbing O boards.

Also, I'm not sure what the deal is with him getting into it every time he's in a scrum for a loose ball. It appears performative at best and will kill us in a close game at worst.

He is below 40% from the field, at 20% from three, he's at 63% from the line, his TS% and eFG% are only ahead of JT's, and I won't touch his other stats because it's still early.

Board, defend, be active, be smart on O, set monster screens, own the baseline, just stop trying to be a jump shooter my man. NBA Avenue is not down that road for you and someone needs to convince him of that.

Yep, I said he should start out being Terrence Roberts and then grow from there. He could have productivity while getting comfortable. He’s never getting comfortable with the style he’s trying to play now, then he’s pressing and the results are what we see.

I think this is a fair assessment. There is a role for him, but it certainly is not a KD role.

Do you remember last year when he got pushed around during key moments of the game. He wasn't ready to contribute. This year he is more aggressive and has seem to insert himself into the play more often. Still has a long way to go but is heading in the right direction.
I do remember a play last season (Duke?), when he had inside position for a FT and the opposing player hit Bennie in the back and pushed him to the floor, got the rebound and scored. In FB it would have been called a foul, but in non-contact BB it was not called. To add insult to injury, the announcers agreed that it was Bennie fault because he needed to get stronger.

I do remember a play last season (Duke?), when he had inside position for a FT and the opposing player hit Bennie in the back and pushed him to the floor, got the rebound and scored. In FB it would have been called a foul, but in non-contact BB it was not called. To add insult to injury, the announcers agreed that it was Bennie fault because he needed to get stronger.
I think you are thinking of the Indiana game.

I think you are thinking of the Indiana game.
I thought it was FSU (LOL!!!). But regardless, there were a few times he just didn't anticipate when he needed to. Hopefully his Hoop IQ will increase as his minutes do.

The kid has the worst shot I have ever seen. It is like a pitcher on a mound throwing down to a catchers mitt. His shot as a 0.03 arch range.

He’s not very good.
Leave Benny Alone.jpg

The kid has the worst shot I have ever seen. It is like a pitcher on a mound throwing down to a catchers mitt. His shot as a 0.03 arch range.

This is going to sound like a dumb comparison, but at times he reminds me of Cooney when he shoots. I remember Cooney seeming to have two entirely different shooting strokes at times. One form looked ugly and like he was pushing the ball. Then once in a while he'd catch it in stride and put up a smooth shot that looked like perfect form and you just knew it was going in or at least going to be real close.

I've seen that type of difference in Benny and it seems to be tied into where he receives the ball and if there is a defender in his face.

The way he flails at the ball when it comes his way makes me think the game is still moving too fast for him. See his missed defensive rebound on the missed Richmond FT at the end of regulation
The overhead view showed Williams flailing at the rebound like he didn't know where the ball was....as much we all want Bennie to be successful l don't think it's going to happen here. l fully expect his shot to get blocked 1-2 times a game when we start playing better teams with length ...way to flat....jmho

Last edited:
I was begging for him to do that last year, because I felt that a dunk like that would change his whole game. He is so fragile mentally, that he needs something like that each game to get his confidence up.
Sorry, one dunk isn't going to turn this kid into a consistent contributor.

...and Moyer was better rebounder.

Hope Benny shuts us/JB up tonight with big effort on the boards
If he’d put up 8-9 boards a game(if he’s playing 40 minutes), with good defense and stop shooting from outside, I’d shut up and be content with that.

Benny is a spaz -- my friend told me yesterday that he's never seen a player move more and do less. That's pretty accurate.
He had a play in the second half yesterday where he caught it in the high post and kept swinging it low while he pivoted around multiple times. Like he wanted to make a move but his brain misfired. He then nearly threw it away but Bell saved it in the corner

Never forget the Moyer game against Uconn where Ollie said in his post game, “we got beat by someone who isn’t very good”
Did he really say that?! Yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom