Babers fired according to Thamel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Babers fired according to Thamel

Tough. Never want to see a man lose his job. Dino by all accounts is a great dude and represented the program well. So I wish him nothing but the best. Just wasn’t getting the job done in year 8. With a cupcake schedule next year, this year was the right year to make a move if we were going too. Plus Dino had lost the fan base, alumni, past players and seems he was starting to lose the locker room a bit. Not a good recipe. Wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Although I think we did need to move on, Dino did some great things for Cuse football we can’t all forget.
-6-0 for the first time in FOREVER
-Possible back to back bowl games this year in FORVER
-First 10 win season in FOREVER
-Had us ranked multiple years and all the way up to 12
-Put multiple players in the pros (some high end pros too
-Had multiple sellouts which hadn’t happened in awhile
-Can’t forget that Clemson win at home in 2017, that’s a memorable Dome win and will be FOREVER

The timing is right to move on. Dino has always represented the Program well. He understood the allure of the Syracuse program and the tradition of Syracuse. Was always a stand up guy here at Cuse. Although I think the move to fire him is the right call. I’ll tip my cap to coaches Babers, he’ll always be welcomed back to Cuse in my book, 8 years is a lifetime in college football speak so he’ll always be apart of the Syracuse football family. May not have been the ending we’d like. But hope nothing but success for Dino and his family.

Really well said. When the university wrote the program off nearly three decades ago, this wasn't going to be fixed in a matter of seasons. He should have left in 2018 with his reputation still intact. As Urban Meyer told him and David Hale notes, you cannot win here because of how limited they are.

The loss yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back and the "fans" of this program got a head for their pike. Reality is about to punch you all in the chest, because this is a place you cannot win at. Marrone realized that and left for greener pastures, Shafer found out the hard way they cannot compete in the ACC and Babers was hit with COVID then NIL.
Yeah, because this is the reason we don’t go for it on fourth down and commit 10 penalties every week.

No one sane is asking us to compete for ACC championships each year. Give yourself a chance to win 7-8 games each year and catch lightning in a bottle with a 10 win season every once in a while.

If Wake Forest can do that most years we should be able to as well.

Last edited:
I'll give Wildhack some flexibility to get creative with this hire. Perhaps he can save some cash & reduce the hit from this buyout & bring in a young up and comer.

Take some risks.

If we are ever fortunate enough again to seriously consider extending a coach, I hope the buyout can be a little more dynamic & performance based.

IMO the bigger issue was the length and not the yearly pay. Our next HC should only get a 3 year + whatever we can afford to eat contract. If we can afford to eat only 1 year then it is a 4 year total contract. If it is three years then you can offer a 6 year contract. IMO it is irresponsible to do otherwise. Same principles with any extension. If that limits our pool, so be it. You cannot be stuck with a bad contract. Really ever school should be doing this.

Hire Brennan Marion. Run the go-go offense. Win a million football games.

Right move but still sad. I'm only old enough to really appreciate this firing and Shafer. Oddly existential for me. I remember being at the Christmas tree farm, being so excited for this hire. Here's to the next chapter.
Nobody wants to fire people and have to reorganize. It sucks. In my line of work I usually start at a company in the aftermath of that. But it does show a vision and commitment from the ownership of wanting to be better. Now they just need to be serious in doing what it takes to be better and providing the resources to the new HC necessary to do that. And that’s where the jury is out.

Tough. Never want to see a man lose his job. Dino by all accounts is a great dude and represented the program well. So I wish him nothing but the best. Just wasn’t getting the job done in year 8. With a cupcake schedule next year, this year was the right year to make a move if we were going too. Plus Dino had lost the fan base, alumni, past players and seems he was starting to lose the locker room a bit. Not a good recipe. Wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Although I think we did need to move on, Dino did some great things for Cuse football we can’t all forget.
-6-0 for the first time in FOREVER
-Possible back to back bowl games this year in FORVER
-First 10 win season in FOREVER
-Had us ranked multiple years and all the way up to 12
-Put multiple players in the pros (some high end pros too
-Had multiple sellouts which hadn’t happened in awhile
-Can’t forget that Clemson win at home in 2017, that’s a memorable Dome win and will be FOREVER

The timing is right to move on. Dino has always represented the Program well. He understood the allure of the Syracuse program and the tradition of Syracuse. Was always a stand up guy here at Cuse. Although I think the move to fire him is the right call. I’ll tip my cap to coaches Babers, he’ll always be welcomed back to Cuse in my book, 8 years is a lifetime in college football speak so he’ll always be apart of the Syracuse football family. May not have been the ending we’d like. But hope nothing but success for Dino and his family.

Great post. Appreciate the good times with Dino but it's time

IMO the bigger issue was the length and not the yearly pay. Our next HC should only get a 3 year + whatever we can afford to eat contract. If we can afford to eat only 1 year then it is a 4 year total contract. If it is three years then you can offer a 6 year contract. IMO it is irresponsible to do otherwise. Same principles with any extension. If that limits our pool, so be it. You cannot be stuck with a bad contract. Really ever school should be doing this.
Exactly. If SU is working in a different reality than the A&Ms of the world, then let's be honest with ourselves & have buyouts that work for us.

If that limits our pool, then so be it.

I personally don't enjoy someone being fired but understand why the move was made. Thanks Dino good luck from here.
Well said. I take no pleasure in this. When Babers was hired, I said, “If this guy can’t win here no one can.”

How many coaches have I seen fired over the years? But the next one will get it right.

Here we go again. I hate this.

I don’t feel bad for millionaires but am bummed for some of these coaches who took a chance to come here. I think there are a few good ones in the group. Would’ve like to have seen Beck flourish here. Just don’t know how hamstrung some of these guys were having to follow orders from Babers, from scheme to personnel decisions.

Last edited:
Wow well this is surely some news to wake up to on the West Coast. Didn’t know if JW had it in him to pull the trigger. It is time to move on. Wish Dino the best and thank him for 8 season but so looking forward to getting someone different in here. Fresh ideas Fresh vision

Really well said. When the university wrote the program off nearly three decades ago, this wasn't going to be fixed in a matter of seasons. He should have left in 2018 with his reputation still intact. As Urban Meyer told him and David Hale notes, you cannot win here because of how limited they are.

The loss yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back and the "fans" of this program got a head for their pike. Reality is about to punch you all in the chest, because this is a place you cannot win at. Marrone realized that and left for greener pastures, Shafer found out the hard way they cannot compete in the ACC and Babers was hit with COVID then NIL.
Explain Wake, BC, Northwestern, Duke and even Tulane. All manage to field competitive teams.

Given that they're firing the coach again, they didn't make it this time around. You're a homer and I get it. You have your sources at the university and I have mine. You tell people who purely spectate on this board who take you for every word and for that, you get all the thumbs up because this board can't run off a "trusted source" anymore like Dean who took his ball home because people had the audacity to question him. I tell people the reality at hand and it's like throwing chum to sharks with how agitated and upset people get.

As I mentioned in another thread, the university had to be shamed into upgrading their locker rooms. There is a stink around the athletic department and SU as a whole. If they get this right, kudos to them. The last decade of decision making says they don't have that capacity.
I definitely don’t trust JW to make this decision, all I can do is hope

Bittersweet…
We really wanted him to succeed and our family has had some amazing interactions with him
Best of luck Coach Babers, I wish you nothing but the best in what you do next.
I feel like I did after Coach P was fired, both good men, and at the time it appeared that they needed to go, although in retrospect Coach P's firing was not necessarily a smart move.

Don't think the problem was Dino at all. The problem is SU's standing in the college football heirarchy.
Strongly disagree. Cuse under Babers was one of the most undisciplined teams in the country year in, year out. He was perhaps the worst in-game coach of any team I've ever played close attention to, and last night alone was a masterpiece of mind-boggling decisions.

SU definitely faces some underlying structural challenges in the current landscape, but Babers totally failed to control the things he could control.

Bittersweet…
We really wanted him to succeed and our family has had some amazing interactions with him
Best of luck Coach Babers, I wish you nothing but the best in what you do next.
Nice guy and the expectations were a lot higher than the end results. We really need someone who can bring Syracuse back to the glory days with speed, talent and an ability to connect to the football alumni to help stuff those NLI bags.

I don’t feel bad for millionaires and Babers needed to go, but I do feel bad for some of these coaches who took a chance to come here. I think there are a few good ones in the group. Would’ve like to have seen Beck flourish here. Just don’t know how hamstrung some of these guys were having to follow orders from Babers, from scheme to personnel decisions.
If they’re competent they’ll get an opportunity from the new head guy. There’s always continuity carryovers. Just because Dino wasn’t getting it done it doesn’t mean certain position groups weren’t.

Attachments

• IMG_7258.jpeg
    IMG_7258.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 46

Quick question. How does a program like Kansas State win consistently? Can you tell me about all of the great prospects in that state? Sounds like a lot of baked in excuses and excuses are for losers.

Given that they're firing the coach again, they didn't make it this time around. You're a homer and I get it. You have your sources at the university and I have mine. You tell people who purely spectate on this board who take you for every word and for that, you get all the thumbs up because this board can't run off a "trusted source" anymore like Dean who took his ball home because people had the audacity to question him. I tell people the reality at hand and it's like throwing chum to sharks with how agitated and upset people get.

As I mentioned in another thread, the university had to be shamed into upgrading their locker rooms. There is a stink around the athletic department and SU as a whole. If they get this right, kudos to them. The last decade of decision making says they don't have that capacity.
Huh to the first part ? And if you want my opinion, I think the athletic department is in the worst shape it’s been in in a very long time. They are cheap. They only care about raising money for stuff that is so far behind. I don’t like wildhack as AD one bit. I just don’t understand your first part. I’m a homer bc I support yes. But not because I agree with the university. I’m actually the opposite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom