Babers to recruits(vid) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Babers to recruits(vid)

I like the idea but what does he say to kids down south that might want to stay home and play?
Whatever he is telling them is working. He continues to recruit and sign kids from the south. I counted three just from North Carolina while looking at the 2019 roster. Not to mention Georgia and also South Carolina.

Dino won 10 games and slapped WVU with 3 star athletes across the board.

If we start landing 4 stars from western PA, the DMV, NJ, Connecticut and New York consistently for 3-6 a class we could do it.

I like the idea but what does he say to kids down south that might want to stay home and play?
That the same logic doesn't apply to them. Zero sum game, recruiting. Come here, don't go elsewhere. Period.

Let's look at the national champions since the BCS started in 1998. The champions north of the Mason-Dixon line are in italics:

1998 Tennessee
1999 Florida State
2000 Oklahoma
2001 U of Miami
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU or USC
2004 USC
2005 Texas
2006 Florida
2007 LSU
2008 Florida
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2013 Florida State
2014 Ohio State
2015 Alabama
2016 Clemson
2017 Alabama
2018 Clemson

That's 21 seasons. Let's look at the 21 seasons before that:
1977 Notre Dame
1978 Alabama or USC
1979 Alabama
1980 Georgia
1981 Clemson
1982 Penn State
1983 U of Miami
1984 BYU
1985 Oklahoma
1986 Penn State
1987 U of Miami
1988 Notre Dame
1989 U of Miami
1990 Colorado or Georgia Tech
1991 U of Miami or Washington
1992 Alabama
1993 Florida State
1994 Nebraska
1995 Nebraska
1996 Florida
1997 Nebraska or Michigan

So we've gone from having 11 of 25 national champions over a 21 year period be from the north and from 7 different schools to having 2 of 22 national champions in a 21 year period from the north and both from the same school.

My theory: recruiters used to say that you recruit size and strength from the north and speed and agility from the south. that's because northern kids were indoors half the year, where they would likely be working out with weights. the southern kids would be out doors for 12 months so they would be running around all the time. But when schools started using weight rooms as recruiting tools, everyone had to have one and the southern players got to be as big as the northern ones. If everyone is big and strong, then the difference between players has to be something else: speed and agility. the northern schools have tried to recruit in the south to get their share of those qualities but the southern schools have gotten most of the a-list recruits while the northern teams have gotten mostly the b-listers. the southern teams thus have an advantage in speed and agility that's why their top teams have come to dominate the top teams in the north.

Dino is trying to overcome that with his system, his venue and his personality.
Two things.

First, is California a souther school? If you include BYU in the north, I would think USC would be there too.

Second, 12 (1 shared) of the last 21 came from one conference. 5 of those from one school. So even in the south very few schools are actual contenders.

Well, he'll tell em to stay home, if they want. If they want to be THE reason Cuse does well, come up and prove it, while making a name for yourself. If you want to be just another fish in the pond? Wish him well, and move on to find the kid that believes enough in himself to come up to Cuse.

Being honest with kids goes a long way. Most coaches say whatever they think the recruit wants to hear.

Last edited:
Two things.

First, is California a souther school? If you include BYU in the north, I would think USC would be there too.

Second, 12 (1 shared) of the last 21 came from one conference. 5 of those from one school. So even in the south very few schools are actual contenders.

You'd put the University of SOUTHERN California in the north? :confused:

You'd put the University of SOUTHERN California in the north? :confused:
Since the mason dixon line didn't extend that far west and absolutely no southerner would consider it the south, if pressed to include it in the either the north or south, yes I would. If asked to be as accurate as possible, I would say it's the west, but that doesn't fit what was being discussed.

Given the north/south orientation of California and it's length, would you consider California a southern state or a northern state? If you extend the lattitudinal line of the mason dixon line to the west coast it exists both above and below it.

If you're up to it it a interesting yet some times sad read

https://rutgers.forums./threads/dino-babers-on-northeast-college-football.168468/

If we’re being honest, most of the top Southern kids wanna stay home or in the vicinity, unless it’s to go to a OSU, ND, Penn State, or hopefully us in the near future.
What NE schools usually get are the 2nd-3rd tier kids, whereas the southern schools get the very top tier of northern kids.
What Dino’s saying is those TOP tier NE kids could stay home & win a NC, instead of heading South to do so. He’s planting the “possibility factor” into their thinking- something most of those kids had probably never thought of.
This is actually a delicate subject and he still hit it out of the park. The key to it (paraphrasing his reference to southern schools) was: "Those schools don't win NC's. The players in the jerseys right here do". Man has a point.

Last edited:
Other schools are saying they got a recruiting bump from Dino. Maybe. But not really.

Football players respect leadership. He did what no other coach would do, and told them it's ok to go to a competitor. (But he said Syracuse will win a championship). Told em it's not about the school, it's about them. Tried to instill confidence, that they could still stay close to home, and get everything they want. Gave his full confidence that THEY could win a championship. That's leadership, on full display.

Be specific here; like we talking his likeness, his name, the game date. I need to know your level of commitment.

If its by multiple scores ill get dinos face on my for all I care

Since the mason dixon line didn't extend that far west and absolutely no southerner would consider it the south, if pressed to include it in the either the north or south, yes I would. If asked to be as accurate as possible, I would say it's the west, but that doesn't fit what was being discussed.

Given the north/south orientation of California and it's length, would you consider California a southern state or a northern state? If you extend the lattitudinal line of the mason dixon line to the west coast it exists both above and below it.
Mason-Dixon Line is the southern border of PA. In theory it could extend all the way to the Pacific. USC embodies a southern football culture. In general, I would say that California has more Northern ideals.

Last edited:
So this whole segment on what Dino said and he doesn’t mention Syracuse. He spent more time on Ohio, Rutgers, and Penn State. I also think he missed some of the nuance.

So this whole segment on what Dino said and he doesn’t mention Syracuse. He spent more time on Ohio, Rutgers, and Penn State. I also think he missed some of the nuance.
If, ya know, they had googled the actual footage...

I would consider Southern California to be in the South and Northern California to be in the North. It's a big state. remember my point: that in colder climates, kids are in doors half the year and in warmer climates they are outdoors the whole year. I'm sure that's just as true on the west coast as it is here.

Mason-Dixon Line is the southern border of PA. In theory it could extend all the way to the Pacific. USC embodies a southern football culture. In general, I would say that California has more Northern ideals.
If you look at maps of what was considered the line west of pennsyvania during the civil war (the actual line was established over a hundred years before it and only went as far as the western end of pennsylvania) it didn't follow a straight line and stopped at the mississippi river.

If you say USC embodies a southern culture of football, I would argue Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn st. do as well.

I would consider Southern California to be in the South and Northern California to be in the North. It's a big state. remember my point: that in colder climates, kids are in doors half the year and in warmer climates they are outdoors the whole year. I'm sure that's just as true on the west coast as it is here.
Have you researched the weather on the west coast? The average high temperature for Stanford, California in January is warmer than Birmingham, Alabama. Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington are nearly identical to Knoxville, Tennesee. All of those areas have a reputation for people doing outdoor activities year round. So based on your point as you define it, the whole west coast is southern.

Let's look at the national champions since the BCS started in 1998. The champions north of the Mason-Dixon line are in italics:

1998 Tennessee
1999 Florida State
2000 Oklahoma
2001 U of Miami
2002 Ohio State
2003 LSU or USC
2004 USC
2005 Texas
2006 Florida
2007 LSU
2008 Florida
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2013 Florida State
2014 Ohio State
2015 Alabama
2016 Clemson
2017 Alabama
2018 Clemson

That's 21 seasons. Let's look at the 21 seasons before that:
1977 Notre Dame
1978 Alabama or USC
1979 Alabama
1980 Georgia
1981 Clemson
1982 Penn State
1983 U of Miami
1984 BYU
1985 Oklahoma
1986 Penn State
1987 U of Miami
1988 Notre Dame
1989 U of Miami
1990 Colorado or Georgia Tech
1991 U of Miami or Washington
1992 Alabama
1993 Florida State
1994 Nebraska
1995 Nebraska
1996 Florida
1997 Nebraska or Michigan

So we've gone from having 11 of 25 national champions over a 21 year period be from the north and from 7 different schools to having 2 of 22 national champions in a 21 year period from the north and both from the same school.

My theory: recruiters used to say that you recruit size and strength from the north and speed and agility from the south. that's because northern kids were indoors half the year, where they would likely be working out with weights. the southern kids would be out doors for 12 months so they would be running around all the time. But when schools started using weight rooms as recruiting tools, everyone had to have one and the southern players got to be as big as the northern ones. If everyone is big and strong, then the difference between players has to be something else: speed and agility. the northern schools have tried to recruit in the south to get their share of those qualities but the southern schools have gotten most of the a-list recruits while the northern teams have gotten mostly the b-listers. the southern teams thus have an advantage in speed and agility that's why their top teams have come to dominate the top teams in the north.

Dino is trying to overcome that with his system, his venue and his personality.
It's OK man, Cuomo is telling the media that peopl are moving out of NY because of the weather. It couldn't be that NY is the most over-taxed, non business-friendly state in the country.

Maybe that's true of our recruits too...they like warm weather and want to start successful businesses. So they are moving south. Good for them.

If you look at maps of what was considered the line west of pennsyvania during the civil war (the actual line was established over a hundred years before it and only went as far as the western end of pennsylvania) it didn't follow a straight line and stopped at the mississippi river.

If you say USC embodies a southern culture of football, I would argue Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn st. do as well.
I kinda agree with your assertion. I think the civil war assumed extension of the line was war based post rationalization. I think culture is the more interesting view. As a coastal state, Cali politics and global views are more in line with coastal cities in the NE. As a football culture, I would say that Southern California teams have more offense minded balanced passing/running games that more closely aligns with SEC culture. The BigTen is more the traditional ground and pound, cloud of dust, “meathead” ball we love to tease. Stanford is an example of this in Northern California. Nothing is black and white, there are more outliers in part due to more media coverage. That said, we can represent a southern on field persona in the north and our success can turn it upside down. I hope we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom