Backup QB Discussion | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

why not get a FCS or even D2 QB with good numbers and at least some FBS-level traits, and although they would be a backup here, they could get much more NIL vs. their current school to make it worth their while
Too late to enter the portal I'm pretty sure.

Also they're an FCS/D2 QB for a reason. If they're a starter, they aren't coming here to be 2nd/3rd string. And taking a 2nd string FCS/D2 QB would be insanity.

Of course it's a lot to put on his shoulders. Hopefully we don't have to do it at all as it would mean McCord got injured.

But once again, I'd rather give him experience and let him make mistakes because at that point our season would be over anyways.
It sounds like there's a similar "McCord goes down and the season's done anyway" line of thought from Fran, and I just don't agree with that mentality.

It would be one thing if QB was all we had. But relative to our program standards, there's a lot of talent on this roster. If one guy goes down we have to find a way to continue to compete.

It sounds like there's a similar "McCord goes down and the season's done anyway" line of thought from Fran, and I just don't agree with that mentality.

It would be one thing if QB was all we had. But relative to our program standards, there's a lot of talent on this roster. If one guy goes down we have to find a way to continue to compete.
This. The backup needs to be Mark McDonald not Ronald McDonald.

If I was a QB transferring to a new school, and was told that I would be the backup this year and could fight for being the starter against 2 4 star recruits plus whoever else we bring in by then, I'd never think of coming to Cuse. Its an extremely tough sell. As bnoro said, our season is over as we know it if McCord gets hurt (just like any other team this happens to outside of the Alabamas etc). It needs to be Jakhari as QB2

Also I know many are down on CDRW as QB2. I get it. However, if the OL is improved, the skill positions are improved, and you have a new offense + coaches, is it possible he can be a solid backup?

He's but far the highest rated transfer QB still out there. Cooper Legal from Utah State is in the portal, decent stats and a Senior, Michael Wright a Senior QB from Mississippi State out there.

I think at this point we just have to hope Jakhari is ready.
Michael Wright replaces Sullivan at Northwestern. Just shuffling deck chairs at this point.

CDRW/Jakhari are not Ronald McDonald. Once again, I'll ask who we could bring in realistically who would be a better option? Now that the portal is closed we know what's out there.
I saw plenty of Ronald at Pitt 2 years ago. I saw shades of Ronald in the spring game.

Jakhari is not ready and is not a realistic option.

Michael Wright replaces Sullivan at Northwestern. Just shuffling deck chairs at this point.
Doing the Portal Polka!
FE2FB549-C688-4F21-A9AD-29E7C11A52BD.gif

It’s really what cost Babers his job. With a healthy Shrader we would have won 9/10 games

It’s really what cost Babers his job. With a healthy Shrader we would have won 9/10 games
That and a 1000 other things.

It seemed like Dino didn’t like to get underclassmen real game experience. He was always leaving starters in way longer than needed when others could get experience. Hopefully Fran will manage game day playing time better.

There we go, we got coach Johnson's son as a QB.

Thread closed lol
A guy who has thrown 1 pass in 4 years at the college level...seriously?

Pretty obvious he's not going to be playing QB here primarily. Maybe situationally in certain packages.

You're taking a very strange position RE QB depth in this thread. Haven't you learned anything from the Kenterius Womack and Austin Wilson days?

It was a consistent problem every single year he was here except 2018 where he had a RF DeVito who was capable of coming in and winning games. Other than that, he never had a backup that was able to be a consistent winner spelling the starter.

Pretty obvious he's not going to be playing QB here primarily. Maybe situationally in certain packages.

You're taking a very strange position RE QB depth in this thread. Haven't you learned anything from the Kenterius Womack and Austin Wilson days?
That was sarcasm I am sure.

But realistically at this stage of the game and with the portal closed to new additions is there anyone out there that could function as a competent backup and be willing to come in and compete for the backup spot? Maybe there is but I don’t see any names being tossed about.

That was sarcasm I am sure.

But realistically at this stage of the game and with the portal closed to new additions is there anyone out there that could function as a competent backup and be willing to come in and compete for the backup spot? Maybe there is but I don’t see any names being tossed about.
Yeah you are probably right and my sarcasm meter was way off.

But to be 1 injury away from either a true frosh who wasn’t here in the Spring, 2 incumbent backups that really belong on FCS rosters, an ATH that’s thrown 1 pass in 4 years, PWO’s or as much as I love him Villari wildcat - there’s got to be someone out there!

Yeah you are probably right and my sarcasm meter was way off.

But to be 1 injury away from either a true frosh who wasn’t here in the Spring, 2 incumbent backups that really belong on FCS rosters, an ATH that’s thrown 1 pass in 4 years, PWO’s or as much as I love him Villari wildcat - there’s got to be someone out there!
Yeah, not the best situation. I would like to be surprised by a new QB addition, but I don’t have great hope.

It was a joke

It was a joke
I get it. The other 2 pages of posts aren't.

I'm a huge fan of Fran but "the season is over if McCord goes down" isn't any different than 8 years of Dino when it comes to QB depth.

We do have to remember that he didn't have a full offseason to build depth this season. So pretty sure he gets a pass

Not every injury is season ending. Maybe we just need a dude to help us win one game? I hope one of these guys is ready.

Would hate for that to be the reason we go 11-1.

See, this is what everyone who thinks this way is missing.

The fact that Shrader WAS his QB…is what got him fired.

SMH

Football is not people’s strong point.

See, this is what everyone who thinks this way is missing.

The fact that Shrader WAS his QB…is what got him fired.

SMH

Football is not people’s strong point.
No it's not. Shrader was a perfectly serviceable QB. What got Dino fired was that he had 1 above average OL (2018) and 1 year where he had a competent back up QB (2018). You walk into seasons consistently with weak OL's and no contingency at QB and that's a recipe for an average to worse program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom