Backup QB Discussion | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

When you can say that someone who looks like they're holding a hand grenade with the pin pulled in the pocket and has a wonky throwing motion looks better than CDRW - it kinda tells you the state of our QB depth chart beyond McCord.

CDRW is wildly inconsistent but occasionally pulls a gem out of his ass, so I guess there's that.

We need help...and now.
Oh there’s no question about it.

Both Nixon and Fran have talked about fitting the O around the talent and running the ball. I bet the tailor the O differently if Carlos has to play
We aren't starting a running QB either. I mean the true freshman with a couple months under his belt might be fine for 3-4 starts to close the year. For the life of me, I don't know why many are treating this year like we could make a 12-0 run or something. Schedule is "buttery soft" (shout out scooch) and Fran has added a ton of talent everywhere but get 8-9 wins and go from there. This isn't some make or break year, Fran is just getting started but still a ton of work to do on the roster to truly compete. Also, the staff needs a little time to get their feet on the ground. There is going to be some growing pains and a couple of meltdowns here for sure. I wouldn't waste a dime on some backup Qb who won't ever start here, now if you want to bring in another portal guy for 2025 to compete then yeah but that ain't happening.

If McCord goes down early, you start the freshman and build around him. If he's a future starter you will know pretty quickly much like Dungey, you either have the nutsack or you don't and yeah I dont think either of the back ups right now are very good

I think we could get a Zeed Haynes type - I just don't know if there's one out there. But that would be the ideal profile, kid that would be on the 2 deep at a P4 poised to be a starter in a year but maybe wants a change of scenery / play closer to home / play for Fran etc.

That would indeed be ideal.

I just don't believe it to be realistic. I think we'll see the coaching staff make a big push AFTER the season, to land the next starter. Because I don't think anyone of quality looking for greener pastures would come here to sit behind McCord.

We aren't starting a running QB either. I mean the true freshman with a couple months under his belt might be fine for 3-4 starts to close the year. For the life of me, I don't know why many are treating this year like we could make a 12-0 run or something. Schedule is "buttery soft" (shout out scooch) and Fran has added a ton of talent everywhere but get 8-9 wins and go from there. This isn't some make or break year, Fran is just getting started but still a ton of work to do on the roster to truly compete. Also, the staff needs a little time to get their feet on the ground. There is going to be some growing pains and a couple of meltdowns here for sure. I wouldn't waste a dime on some backup Qb who won't ever start here, now if you want to bring in another portal guy for 2025 to compete then yeah but that ain't happening.

If McCord goes down early, you start the freshman and build around him. If he's a future starter you will know pretty quickly much like Dungey, you either have the nutsack or you don't and yeah I dont think either of the back ups right now are very good
Coaches have to make that decision. But no matter what they want a bowl game.

If you asked them off the record what happens if we need a new starter week 1-2-3 I don't think rolling with what we have now has them feeling all that great. But whether they think the FR can game manage a way to 6-7 wins they have to decide that.

McCord can save games with his throwing, I dont see anyway the 2 backups can,

But if the oline is better DV might be able to. Hand off, throw simple play action and run a bit.

He throws better than they do.

Awesome line and very true. True freshman who are uniquely talented can play effectively. Especially if our OL holds.

An interesting name just entered the portal as a graduate transfer. Syracuse has several very good graduate programs.

I believe I saw him at the spring game.

A QB (a versatile athlete) who might not even cost us a scholarship. I think family members might get tuition waived (perhaps someone can confirm this).

Coach Fran is looking for more walk-ons. This would be better than an inexperienced walk-on straight out of high school. Can he compete with the two back up QB's currently on the roster?

. . . Schedule is "buttery soft" (shout out scooch) and Fran has added a ton of talent everywhere but get 8-9 wins and go from there. This isn't some make or break year, Fran is just getting started but still a ton of work to do on the roster to truly compete. Also, the staff needs a little time to get their feet on the

I agree with much of your post. I think, though, that this is a special year because we have Gadsden, McCord, Allen, Wax, Barron, Diggs, Clark - and may not have a core group like that in 2025. Have to take advantage in 2024.

Can we add some assurance - a back up QB, a RB, another quality EDGE? Depends of space, who is out there, who wants to come, best available. But fill the gaps and take advantage of the core group we have.

Awesome line and very true. True freshman who are uniquely talented can play effectively. Especially if our OL holds.
Can't think of a better way to see what a young QB is made of, sure you are going to live with the ups and downs but after 4-5 games you know what you are working with as far as true potential, what needs to improve etc but you see a lot and get a pretty good idea if you have true star type potential because the special ones can handle it. Is it ideal? probably not but there is some real positives that can come from it.

Like everyone hoping for a great year from McCord and if he stays healthy should be a really good year for the program but most programs take a huge step back when they lose their starting QB

I get the interest in a QB2. BD is clearly NRFPT and JW will be a frosh. However I'm not ready to write off CDRW: a) we'll have receivers that can get open; b) OG and Villari will give him some short route options; c) an improved OL will protect better and boost the running game reducing the pressure on him to pass; and d) he'll finally be able to play healthy. I think we need to see him with current personnel and coaching before his SU story is written.
Certainly hope you are right but I don't see it. CDRW looks the same as he did on day one to me.
Big arm but inaccurate and inconsistent. He can run a bit in a straight line but he is no dodger.

To be fair, with OG and the new receivers maybe he will look better.
Let's hope we don't have to find out.

This isn’t a make

This isn’t a make or break year, but we’ll never have an opportunity like this where we dodge Clemson, FSU, ND, UNC, and your toughest OOC is UNLV. Take away that this is Fran’s 1st year with this schedule and roster and things couldn’t be set up any better. When are you going to have senior leaders as your best players. McCord, OG, Diggs, Wax, Barron, and other star upperclassmen like Allen, Villari, and Duce. You couldn’t have a team and roster more perfectly aligned. In this day and age i’ll be surprised if we ever have this many senior leaders as your best players.

Each year is fluid, but i’d take our chances this year over next year, when we have to play Tennessee, @ND, Clemson, @Miami, UNC and will have a lot more underclassman leading the team.

I don’t see any reason why this can’t be the season we make a run.

An interesting name just entered the portal as a graduate transfer. Syracuse has several very good graduate programs.

A QB (a versatile athlete) who might not even cost us a scholarship. I think family members might get tuition waived (perhaps someone can confirm this).

Coach Fran is looking for more walk-ons. This would be better than an inexperienced walk-on straight out of high school. Can he compete with the two back up QB's currently on the roster?
How would family members get tuition waived?

remember when we hung with LSU and Fournette with a 5th string qb?
We pulled a triple option surprise on LSU that they weren't ready for, otherwise might have been very different result.

This isn’t a make

This isn’t a make or break year, but we’ll never have an opportunity like this where we dodge Clemson, FSU, ND, UNC, and your toughest OOC is UNLV. Take away that this is Fran’s 1st year with this schedule and roster and things couldn’t be set up any better. When are you going to have senior leaders as your best players. McCord, OG, Diggs, Wax, Barron, and other star upperclassmen like Allen, Villari, and Duce. You couldn’t have a team and roster more perfectly aligned. In this day and age i’ll be surprised if we ever have this many senior leaders as your best players.

Each year is fluid, but i’d take our chances this year over next year, when we have to play Tennessee, @ND, Clemson, @Miami, UNC and will have a lot more underclassman leading the team.

Good chance Clemson and FSU, probably Miami are off the schedule forever after this year.

This isn’t a make

Good post. Hey here’s to hoping!

Certainly hope you are right but I don't see it. CDRW looks the same as he did on day one to me.
Big arm but inaccurate and inconsistent. He can run a bit in a straight line but he is no dodger.

To be fair, with OG and the new receivers maybe he will look better.
Let's hope we don't have to find out.
I agree that he doesn't look much better than last year but I'll disagree about the "big"arm part. That seems to be a myth perpetuated on this board. It might simply be mechanics but he struggled to make throws that KM made look easy.

He honestly intrigues me more as a RB than a QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom