Barry Alvarez Says Another School Wanted In B1G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Barry Alvarez Says Another School Wanted In B1G

I agree with that including the Baltimore/D.C. market with Maryland the ACC could have gotten B1G money with ND and Penn State as 15 and 16. With Louisville instead of Maryland, Penn State isn't leaving the B1G. I think the ND partial move to the ACC made Delany realize Penn State was poachable and so they needed to give Penn State some tomato cans to kick around.

As Chip and Bayside will attest to, VaTech carries the D.C. market (especially with UVA's influece in NoVa). The ACC loses Baltimore with Maryland's exit I suppose. Anyway, I really don't think it matters. It's all about $$$, and Penn State potentially wanting to be closer to it's alumni/fanbase really doesn't involve Rutgers and Maryland. There's enough northeastern presence in the ACC to give them what they'd want. Hell, Penn State *IS* the northeastern presence.

As Chip and Bayside will attest to, VaTech carries the D.C. market (especially with UVA's influece in NoVa). The ACC loses Baltimore with Maryland's exit I suppose. Anyway, I really don't think it matters. It's all about $$$, and Penn State potentially wanting to be closer to it's alumni/fanbase really doesn't involve Rutgers and Maryland. There's enough northeastern presence in the ACC to give them what they'd want. Hell, Penn State *IS* the northeastern presence.
If Penn State would have jumped to the ACC I bet they would have developed a good rivalry with Virginia Tech. Its too bad Maryland jumped so soon I think the ACC could have given Penn State a godfather offer and the ACC would have been the first superconference. Penn State won't leave the B1G now because then the B1G would poach another ACC school to replace them or go after Mizzou and then the SEC would poach an ACC school. Best case scenario would be Penn St leaving the B1G for the ACC and UConn replacing them, but then UConn would be elevated from the kiddie table. Maryland's move really messed everything up for the ACC.

Is TV money worth all that much to PSU? Their endowment is ridiculous, the amount of money they'd bring into the ACC TV contract would be substantial, and the # of tickets, amount of merchandise, etc. is absurd. Makes you wonder..

A little birdie told me to keep an eye on PSU, they are really upset at some of their treatment by the Big G so much so that there is legal counsel reviewing what it would take to unwrap. Is it likely no but there are some really pissed of big time players (Think CTO on steriods). Going to the ACC after all of the sanctions are complete would be the ultimate F' U to the group they are unhappy with.

yes...it was real...it was discussed as an option... after all Penn State has never felt comfortable in the B1G...its an eastern school...the B1G kicked mud in Penn State's face fining it $50mm for Sandusky incident...and ACC surrounded Penn State with Notre Dame, Syracuse and now Louisville...the end is not yet written...

I think you're dead on. Once Swofford drew in ND, Delany had to feel not only pissed, but worried that PSU was ripe for poaching. Had Maryland not been so cash poor, the ACC may have had time to get PSU. There is no doubt in my mind that the Maryland move was a big FU to Swofford and also a desperate act to avoid being raided. Rutgers was simply a bystander that happened to be in the right place and the right time. The BIG needed to move fast to close what could have been a gaping wound and took RU as a travel partner for UMD. No doubt PSU would want someone other than RU, but that's what they got. I can't help but think PSU would rather play ND, SU, Pitt, and BC over RU and MD.

A little birdie told me to keep an eye on PSU, they are really upset at some of their treatment by the Big G so much so that there is legal counsel reviewing what it would take to unwrap. Is it likely no but there are some really pissed of big time players (Think CTO on steriods). Going to the ACC after all of the sanctions are complete would be the ultimate F' U to the group they are unhappy with.
Actually I know this to be true I won't say more than I know a Penn State booster who has hired a good law firm in NC and attorney Frederic Whitehurst to investigate Louis Freeh's report and whether the NCAA followed procedure. Penn State alums are nuts at what the NCAA did with the Freeh report, my gf is a Nitty and they are absolutely PO'ed at the B1G, but I highly doubt the fanbase will dictate the move for the school or FSU would be leaving the ACC because of their fanbase.

I can't help but think PSU would rather play ND, SU, Pitt, and BC over RU and MD.
Duh. Regardless of any other grain of truth in this entire notion. :)

Actually I know this to be true I won't say more than I know a Penn State booster who has hired a good law firm in NC and attorney Frederic Whitehurst to investigate Louis Freeh's report and whether the NCAA followed procedure. Penn State alums are nuts at what the NCAA did with the Freeh report, my gf is a Nitty and they are absolutely PO'ed at the B1G, but I highly doubt the fanbase will dictate the move for the school or FSU would be leaving the ACC because of their fanbase.

Hopefully those high priced layers do pull that scab off and let the bleeding resume so the full truth comes out and PedSt gets their rightfully deserved death penalty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maryland is a whore.

We left a conference where half the schools didn't play a sport we played.

If PSU wants out the ACC will take them. It must be humiliating for RU and UMD to know they were picked for their cable boxes and punching bag abilities.

Maryland is a whore.

We left a conference where half the schools didn't play a sport we played.

If PSU wants out the ACC will take them. It must be humiliating for RU and UMD to know they were picked for their cable boxes and punching bag abilities.

Rutgers should be ecstatic. They got thrown a life-raft, they couldn't care less as to how or why.

Alsacs, you greatly disappoint us. You have good comments,even when people don't agree with you. However, you are approaching uncharted waters and on dangerous grounds.

MODS, can we have a determination on the penalty of a good Orange fan having a gf that is a Nittany Lion? This is wrong on so many levels. Tar and feathers? Drawn and quartered? Steal his milk money? Something!

Seriously, I have heard similar complaints from PSU people and they are serious about finding a way of reviewing and lessening teh penalties.

Back to the OP, PSU will not be swayed by Rutgers and Maryland. Their traditional opponents are Pitt, Syracuse and WVU. Maryland comes in at #4, Rutgers is down the list. BC even has 1 more game vs. PSU than Rutgers. That the B1G believes they need to protect PSU, that means they believe PSU has a wandering eye. PSU and ND?

Alsacs, you greatly disappoint us. You have good comments,even when people don't agree with you. However, you are approaching uncharted waters and on dangerous grounds.

MODS, can we have a determination on the penalty of a good Orange fan having a gf that is a Nittany Lion? This is wrong on so many levels. Tar and feathers? Drawn and quartered? Steal his milk money? Something!

Yep, but just to be clear, we've grandfathered in longtime board members who married Nittany Lions.

Seriously, I have heard similar complaints from PSU people and they are serious about finding a way of reviewing and lessening teh penalties.

Back to the OP, PSU will not be swayed by Rutgers and Maryland. Their traditional opponents are Pitt, Syracuse and WVU. Maryland comes in at #4, Rutgers is down the list. BC even has 1 more game vs. PSU than Rutgers. That the B1G believes they need to protect PSU, that means they believe PSU has a wandering eye. PSU and ND?
To be fair she ran track at Penn State, and supported the University's dismissal of Joe Paterno and thought a one year death penalty would have been an adequate punishment rather than the 4 year bowl ban and lost scholarships, but I plead nolo contendere and ask the Court for leniency. The move to the ACC move would have been acceptable for Penn Staters before the Maryland defection I believe. With Notre Dame as the 16th team it would have been great I still hope it happens, but I don't expect Penn St to leave.

To be fair she ran track at Penn State, and supported the University's dismissal of Joe Paterno and thought a one year death penalty would have been an adequate punishment rather than the 4 year bowl ban and lost scholarships, but I plead nolo contendere and ask the Court for leniency. The move to the ACC move would have been acceptable for Penn Staters before the Maryland defection I believe. With Notre Dame as the 16th team it would have been great I still hope it happens, but I don't expect Penn St to leave.

So, she has some redeeming qualities...Mods will have to consider this mitigating factor.

Truth be told, most PSU fans that I have met are OK. Only one was really bad. He was a school principal way back when and I must confess, I'm not sure there it was my disdain for PSU or for school that swayed my opinion.

I'd be good with PSU in the ACC. If JoePa hadn't been so pig headed, the eastern conference could have had:

PSU
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
WVU
Rutgers
Temple
FSU
VATech
ECU
Miami
Marshall

All without infringing on the ACC, B1G or SEC. The the Academic Conference of the ACC, PAC or B1G levels, but still good sports.

I heard it from a number of unnamed sources familiar with the Big Ten.

And I heard it from my well-placed, inside source at NASA, that NASA has been running the numbers because nobody else has computers big enough to run those astronomical numbers that the B1G might make with OU on board. Naturally, he can neither confirm nor deny this.

I still say Ped St to ACC is not going to happen.

It would be far easier for the B1G to take SU & BC to form a B1G East consisting of SU, BC, RU, MD, Ped St, Ohio St, Mich & Mich St than it would be for the ACC to take Ped St.

By the way, all these schools are within an 7 hour drive distance or 2 hour flight distance.

I still say Ped St to ACC is not going to happen.

It would be far easier for the B1G to take SU & BC to form a B1G East consisting of SU, BC, RU, MD, Ped St, Ohio St, Mich & Mich St than it would be for the ACC to take Ped St.

By the way, all these schools are within an 7 hour drive distance or 2 hour flight distance.
I agree its unlikely now, but before the B1G poached Maryland it was a possibility Penn State would have flipped to the ACC. I honestly blame Debbie Yow for destroying Maryland's Athletic Department and the school needing the cash grab. It made them susceptible to being poached.

I think it's just as likely now as it was a month ago. Rutgers and Maryland don't bring squat to the big ten. East coast partner? It's only two teams. If penn state wants to leave the move by the big ten does nothing to stop them.

Enh. I find any bombshell positive ACC stories hard to believe. If Maryland knew PSU was coming to the ACC, they wouldn't have left. It's not like the b10 will make them immediately rich (the opposite actually). They could have waited a few months.

Hopefully those high priced layers do pull that scab off and let the bleeding resume so the full truth comes out and PedSt gets their rightfully deserved death penalty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Now that would really screw the BiG. For what profits the BTN to gain Rutgers and Maryland only to lose PSU? :D

Cheers,
Neil

I think it's just as likely now as it was a month ago. Rutgers and Maryland don't bring squat to the big ten. East coast partner? It's only two teams. If penn state wants to leave the move by the big ten does nothing to stop them.

These are the teams Penn State lobbied for. They got what they wanted out of this round of expansion. They have travel partners and fellow East coast teams. There's no reason for them to leave, now.

Before, it was something that they considered. But again, it's only because they were the easternmost school by nearly six hours and had no traveling partners or natural rivals to speak of. This addition gives them two teams that are closer than any of the other 11 as well as two recruiting bases they have craved within the league's boundaries.

(Think CTO on steriods).

Is anyone else having a hard time not picturing CTO speaking with an Austrian accent, jacking up an 800 lb deadlift, and saying "Vee are hee-uh to pump yoo ahhhp. "
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

These are the teams Penn State lobbied for. They got what they wanted out of this round of expansion. They have travel partners and fellow East coast teams. There's no reason for them to leave, now.

Before, it was something that they considered. But again, it's only because they were the easternmost school by nearly six hours and had no traveling partners or natural rivals to speak of. This addition gives them two teams that are closer than any of the other 11 as well as two recruiting bases they have craved within the league's boundaries.
Those are the two best teams PSU lobbied for or were those the two teams the BIG gave them.