Barry Alvarez Says Another School Wanted In B1G | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Barry Alvarez Says Another School Wanted In B1G

Those are the two best teams PSU lobbied for or were those the two teams the BIG gave them.

They are the teams forced upon them another reason they are not exactly happy.

So they were considering it.

These are the teams Penn State lobbied for. They got what they wanted out of this round of expansion. They have travel partners and fellow East coast teams. There's no reason for them to leave, now.

Before, it was something that they considered. But again, it's only because they were the easternmost school by nearly six hours and had no traveling partners or natural rivals to speak of. This addition gives them two teams that are closer than any of the other 11 as well as two recruiting bases they have craved within the league's boundaries.

So they were considering it.
If after everything shakes out with the ACC and TV dollars if they are within sniffing distance of the Big G money things will get really interesting, may not be today or tomorrow but certain influential people and university leaders collective noses are out of joint. In fact bolting after the addition of Rutgers and Maryland would give them extra joy.

These are the teams Penn State lobbied for. They got what they wanted out of this round of expansion. They have travel partners and fellow East coast teams. There's no reason for them to leave, now.

Before, it was something that they considered. But again, it's only because they were the easternmost school by nearly six hours and had no traveling partners or natural rivals to speak of. This addition gives them two teams that are closer than any of the other 11 as well as two recruiting bases they have craved within the league's boundaries.

This is untrue. PSU did not lobby for MD and RU. The presence of these teams may somehow "make" PSU feel better about no longer being the most Eastern team in a midwestern conference. This was a move about eyeballs first, expansions second, and PSU's feelings maybe were the 155th reason.

So, she has some redeeming qualities...Mods will have to consider this mitigating factor.

Truth be told, most PSU fans that I have met are OK. Only one was really bad. He was a school principal way back when and I must confess, I'm not sure there it was my disdain for PSU or for school that swayed my opinion.

I'd be good with PSU in the ACC. If JoePa hadn't been so pig headed, the eastern conference could have had:

PSU
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
WVU
Rutgers
Temple
FSU
VATech
ECU
Miami
Marshall

All without infringing on the ACC, B1G or SEC. The the Academic Conference of the ACC, PAC or B1G levels, but still good sports.
Even if PSU was considering the ACC (which I highly doubt), there is no way they would be caught dead in a conference with ECU and Marshall.

This is untrue. PSU did not lobby for MD and RU. The presence of these teams may somehow "make" PSU feel better about no longer being the most Eastern team in a midwestern conference. This was a move about eyeballs first, expansions second, and PSU's feelings maybe were the 155th reason.

Can you imagine the conversation?

Penn State: we want Maryland and Rutgers, no one else.

Big 10: you got it buddy, just please don't leave us!

Laughable that those would be the 2 they choose. And that the Big 10 would really care who they specifically wanted.

Actually I heard Penn State wanted Pitt and not Rutgers so I don't know where you are getting information and WVU board doesn't count for sources, but I have information that Delany asked for some input from Penn State they ranked their top 3 as 1. Maryland 2. Pitt 3. Rutgers While I don't believe Penn State will leave the conference don't make it seem like they won't do what its in there best interest still if the ACC gave them a godfather offer. The Penn State fanbase is very similar to Florida State's right now, both fanbases want out of their current conferences, but the administration of both conferences don't want to leave the B1G and ACC respectively. The B1G isn't Also, Penn State already owned Southern NJ recruiting and recruiting in the state of Maryland thru Larry Johnson Sr. The B1G isn't the SEC as we have seen from Bielema's departure they have penalties for leaving the conference unlike the SEC so Penn State was and is poachable for the right price.

So, if Penn State was contemplating leaving, and Jim Delaney was worried about Penn State possibly leaving, doesn't that mean that Jim Delaney and Penn State don't believe that the GOR is prohibitive of such a move. Or is it just that while the Big 12 has an "ironclad GOR" the B1G's is of the "non-ironclad" variety?

Doesn't make it right...

Maybe not, but I was glad for the privilege. And she's a life-long Orange hoops fan. And she's never made me toss aside my SU gear, wear Penn State gear, or even contemplate hiding my Orange fandom. Also, she let's me continue my defiling of PeteCalvin's mom, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Of the teams that were feasible to land, these are the ones Penn State wanted. I'm certain of that. Very certain. I said it two weeks ago and I said it last year when ya'll wouldn't believe me about Maryland being involved.

Actually I heard Penn State wanted Pitt and not Rutgers so I don't know where you are getting information and WVU board doesn't count for sources, but I have information that Delany asked for some input from Penn State they ranked their top 3 as 1. Maryland 2. Pitt 3. Rutgers While I don't believe Penn State will leave the conference don't make it seem like they won't do what its in there best interest still if the ACC gave them a godfather offer. The Penn State fanbase is very similar to Florida State's right now, both fanbases want out of their current conferences, but the administration of both conferences don't want to leave the B1G and ACC respectively. The B1G isn't Also, Penn State already owned Southern NJ recruiting and recruiting in the state of Maryland thru Larry Johnson Sr. The B1G isn't the SEC as we have seen from Bielema's departure they have penalties for leaving the conference unlike the SEC so Penn State was and is poachable for the right price.

I am getting it from the same people that told me last year Maryland was interested in the Big Ten, which I was adamant about on here despite no one believing it.

I don't know what the rest of PedSt wanted, but we know for a fact JoePa wanted rutgirls and was their biggest advocate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I remember Joe always saying three when he was asked. SU, RU, and Pitt.

I remember Joe always saying three when he was asked. SU, RU, and Pitt.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4118848
You are correct, but to be fair Maryland's media market makes them more valuable than SU, RU, or Pitt and Paterno probably didn't care if it was Maryland or the other 3. I am saying to Kyle, I was told Penn State was asked to gauge who they were interested in most and the results were 1. Maryland 2. Pitt 3. Rutgers. Obviously, the B1G decided RU was more valuable than Pitt and decided for them for the BTN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4118848
You are correct, but to be fair Maryland's media market makes them more valuable than SU, RU, or Pitt and Paterno probably didn't care if it was Maryland or the other 3. I am saying to Kyle, I was told Penn State was asked to gauge who they were interested in most and the results were 1. Maryland 2. Pitt 3. Rutgers. Obviously, the B1G decided RU was more valuable than Pitt and decided for them for the BTN.

There is an article or two out there from a year or so ago where pedterno names rutgirls.

There is an article or two out there from a year or so ago where pedterno names rutgirls.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/paterno-mentions-rutgers-to-the-big-ten/
I believe this the article you are referring to, but Paterno only mentioned Rutgers after Pitt and SU were going to the ACC. Before Pitt and SU left Paterno just wanted an Eastern school from RU, SU, and Pitt to help give an Eastern feel.

Not sure they were before or after our ACC move. I just remember the rutgirls fans throwing them in peoples faces.

Bottomline is kyle is a solid source. He got shot down last year when he talked up Maryland too.

Maybe not, but I was glad for the privilege. And she's a life-long Orange hoops fan. And she's never made me toss aside my SU gear, wear Penn State gear, or even contemplate hiding my Orange fandom. Also, she let's me continue my defiling of PeteCalvin's mom, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
Whatever works for you. :)

Not sure they were before or after our ACC move. I just remember the rutgirls fans throwing them in peoples faces.

Bottomline is kyle is a solid source. He got shot down last year when he talked up Maryland too.

I really don't recall what kyle talked about last year and since the search on this forum doesn't apparently go back that far, I can't refresh my memory.

But anyone who said the BiG wasn't interested in Maryland the last time they talked about expansion is fooling themselves since there were several articles out there that after Nebraska, if the BiG went to 16, it would most likely be an eastern strategy that would be ND, RU, Maryland, and SU. But disputing BiG interest in Maryland isn't the same as disputing Maryland's interest in the BiG. And I will be willing to wager that as many posters that were wrong about that, even more posters were wrong about PSU not contemplating a potential move to the ACC, as Alvarez is referring to.

Paterno, however, always wanted expansion to include Pitt, SU, and RU. Maryland was not big on his list. I think he even mentioned UConn more times than he mentioned Maryland.

Now, the BiG, that is an entirely different story.

Cheers,
Neil

http://zagsblog.com/articles/paterno-mentions-rutgers-to-the-big-ten/
I believe this the article you are referring to, but Paterno only mentioned Rutgers after Pitt and SU were going to the ACC. Before Pitt and SU left Paterno just wanted an Eastern school from RU, SU, and Pitt to help give an Eastern feel.

I believe this is correct--I follow realignment pretty closely. Don't think Joe really cared who it was. He just wanted any eastern partner.

When Nebraska was added to the b10, it was leaked that GTech was very high after they whittled their list down. I think they would/would have taken them if not for the geography. They don't have a contiguous rule, but I do think it is much preferred. They could still take a Gtech combo (let's say FSU, for arguments sake), but it's a risk to sit with them on an island without Virginia/North Carolina. I think Delany could live with that, but he can't get everyone else on board with the idea. And frankly, that's a bit much to ask re: cohesiveness for a Midwestern league that is just now going Eastern.

I really don't recall what kyle talked about last year and since the search on this forum doesn't apparently go back that far, I can't refresh my memory.

But anyone who said the BiG wasn't interested in Maryland the last time they talked about expansion is fooling themselves since there were several articles out there that after Nebraska, if the BiG went to 16, it would most likely be an eastern strategy that would be ND, RU, Maryland, and SU. But disputing BiG interest in Maryland isn't the same as disputing Maryland's interest in the BiG. And I will be willing to wager that as many posters that were wrong about that, even more posters were wrong about PSU not contemplating a potential move to the ACC, as Alvarez is referring to.

Paterno, however, always wanted expansion to include Pitt, SU, and RU. Maryland was not big on his list. I think he even mentioned UConn more times than he mentioned Maryland.

Now, the BiG, that is an entirely different story.

Cheers,
Neil

He was also saying MD was interested. The responses to him were carbon copies of the responses he's gotten here lately.

MD might've been interested, but not outside the AD and the administrative suites. Just had meetings with a number of UMD staffers and faculty, and the overwhelming consensus is that this is a terrible move.

A number of other MD taxpayers and educators are livid at the move. As an aside, asked to report sports loyalties, UMD ranked after Skins/Iggles, 76ers, Flyers, Caps, etc...

He was also saying MD was interested. The responses to him were carbon copies of the responses he's gotten here lately.

ummm, i know you are reading from your droid, but I think I covered this. The knee-jerk reaction of most to Maryland being interested in the BiG stems from their 60 year association with the ACC. I compared that to PSU to the ACC talk, which many on here said would never happen when someone would bring up rumors to this. But now we know there was at least some interest on PSU's part or perceived interest.

Cheers,
Neil