BC Postgame Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

Bell deservingly takes a whooping on here but huge props to him for coming off the bench when we were down 1 and nailing a 3 on his first touch. Times like that you can see why Red thinks he needs to get him going for this team to reach its potential.

With every game our flaws become even more evident (frontcourt, 3 pt shooting)

On the positive side, the Q's are fun to watch. They feel like a tandem that can keep improving, and could be downright scary by senior year. I get vibes of guys that got better every year like CJ, Christmas, and Kris Joseph. In fact, if I had to keep 2 players for next year, I think I would choose them.

Red is still learning, and give him credit for holding off the run. He has the team playing aggressively on DF, and is trying different looks.

He can only do so much with the current roster. Hopefully we can add some pieces next year. Right now, we can't hang with the big boys.

The team is just better when Quadir & Maliq are playing, it’s that simple.

Also a reminder that we really just don’t have knock down perimeter shooters outside of Bell. The Orange will just need to continue finding other ways to win, i.e. we really do get a TON of tips & steals on defense, which leads to easy buckets (haha or should, we struggled on finishing the fast breaks tonight) on the other end.

Edit: Does MaliQuadir work;)?

No doubt that Copeland is our starting point guard next year. His decision making tonight was really good. He knows how to make plays and where to take the ball. Moving forward, Bell is the key. We have to have his shooting. You can’t count on Taylor or Benny to make shots.

People rightfully asked why JJ was playing so many mins.

Tonight. He got 24. That’s about around what he needs. Especially if Q is playing 30-32.

Good job by Red
I love how Red isn’t afraid to ride the guys who are playing well. Bell and Q got more time tonight and they should have. Too many times JB stuck his pre determined Rotations.

26 points off 22 BC turnovers. 17/23 from the charity stripe vs 3/4 for BC.

Crazy with such daunting stats for BC, they had the lead at 50-49 about the 10 minute mark or so in 2nd half. Speaks volumes about our offense.

Bell’s 3 shorty after he came back in was Fucillo HUGE to put us up 52-50. Stopped a 4 minute plus scoring drought and we never relinquished the lead from there.

Bell deservingly takes a whooping on here but huge props to him for coming off the bench when we were down 1 and nailing a 3 on his first touch. Times like that you can see why Red thinks he needs to get him going for this team to reach its potential.
I think it’s apparent that every player on the roster has limited upside. The hope is that we get enough glimpses of positive play from certain players at the right moments to eek out enough wins. Incredibly slim margin of error.

My thoughts - Maliq is our best player. More of a fact than a thought at this point. Bell, Benny, Taylor...we need at least 1 of those 3 to have a good game if we are going to win on any given night. Tonught it was Bells turn. We know about his d and rebounding, but he was making shots and made a few big ones towards the end of the game. Solid effort tonight by him.

Q should start over Taylor. Did JJ play tonight? I hardly remember seeing him do anything on the court..good or bad. He's been a ghost recently. Weird Judah didn't start, but he seemed to have one of his average games. Make a three and get the rest of his points from the ft line while playing average at best d. Team d looked good at times, and I feel like McLeod playing tonight would have hurt us. Cuffe is a little wild man out there and i think he'll have a nice role for us next year. Sucks we are such a bad shooting team. Red really needs to work on developing better offensive sets for us. The o looked terrible at times tonight. Lots of passing the ball around the 3pt line. I think NC is going to crush us...

The team is just better when Quadir & Maliq are playing, it’s that simple.

Also a reminder that we really just don’t have knock down perimeter shooters outside of Bell. The Orange will just need to continue finding other ways to win, i.e. we really do get a TON of tips & steals on defense, which leads to easy buckets (haha or should, we struggled on finishing the fast breaks tonight) on the other end.

Edit: Does MaliQuadir work;)?
Q-aliQ? Too political?

No doubt that Copeland is our starting point guard next year. His decision making tonight was really good. He knows how to make plays and where to take the ball. Moving forward, Bell is the key. We have to have his shooting. You can’t count on Taylor or Benny to make shots.
Fits perfectly at the 1 with Moore at the 2. Maliq/Freeman in the front court. Get a stud 3 from the transfer portal. JJ 6th man.

Yeah. We need someone who can shoot. Anyone. That’s why Autry is force feeding the minutes. It’d be great if Bell could be more consistent and also do it against better teams but we should take this game and put it in our pocket. It’s a good win no matter how you slice it. We’re a very limited team with the ability to do some highlight plays. If someone like Starling could just shoot a midrange, things could get interesting. I’m not sure Taylor can get untracked but of course that would be huge. Not sure he can do it.

I agree but watching him on defense and half the time on offense is so damn frustrating!!!!

Team plays hard and at times is a force on the defensive end as we saw in the 1st half against BC, just terrorized them. . That said its fatally flawed offensively. Yuu can see why against the 4-5 top 25 teams we've played the scores have been so lopsided. Team has 1 consistent shooter but he can't rebound at all and the team in general is a bad rebounding squad and an awful shooting team. Q is coming along nicely and Brown was a guy I thought was undervalued last year and this year he's finally getting the props he deserves. However, without Westry adding some scoring punch hard to see this team winning against upper level squads as the shooting just isn't there. Teams getting almost nothing offensively from Benny, Taylor or JJ and the 3 of them just be shooting 15% from 3 on the year. Cuffe is a decent player but he has no real position at this level as he's a tweener. Not really a guard and to short to play forward.

Cali Kid was on tonight. You have to be blind if you don't see this kid's potential. He needs these tough times, has to go through it and get over it.

Maliq Brown is a NBA player. Such an understated but highly effective two-way player. Will never be a star but will be a rotation player in the league for a long time bc he's just a smart, fundamentally sound basketball player.

And props to Red and his staff for slowly molding a gifted but raw Copeland into another solid player. His passing skills are elite and he's getting better at playing under control and eliminating turnovers - so much so that he now appears to be the closing ball handler and did a damn good job of it tonight!

Copeland has been really good, just need him to develop some sort of a shot/outside game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom