Be honest | Syracusefan.com

Be honest

I was not feeling good about us scoring another TD. We hadn't had a sustained drive for a TD all day...and then we put together a 17 play(?) TD drive? Some huge conversions and were able to run it in once we got close. Amazing drive.

Who at 17-17 thought we were losing? I did, and I am happy to eat some crow.
What I am about to site might make no sense, but I was half glad they made their two-point conversion to tie it 17-17.

We had to win the game at that point as opposed to finessing it. Now, I will acknowledge that Dino does not appear to be one to massage a lead, but I think it might have helped the players mindset a bit.

Who at 17-17 thought we were losing? I did, and I am happy to eat some crow.

100%. Was thinking the Shafer years where not getting destroyed was a "good sign."

Surprisingly I was worried we would lose but wasn't convinced the game was over, which is against my normal pessimism.

I said in the game thread, against USF we went up big and when they started to come back, even when we were ahead, I had a feeling we were going to lose. You could just feel the momentum shift. This game, I kept feeling like either the offense or defense kept stepping up and that the momentum just went back and forth. I felt we could win this game the whole 2nd half, I'm not sure I thought we actually would but felt like it was possible.

Who at 17-17 thought we were losing? I did, and I am happy to eat some crow.[/QUO

upload_2016-10-15_19-56-13.png

I honestly felt good. We moved the ball the 2 previous drives so I felt we would get into scoring position. I was worried about the D holding up but I thought we were winning this game.
As long as VPI wasn't gunslinging we had a chance to stop them.

My thought was: 1-2 more years until we win these.

I'm glad that we won today. Here's to beating BC!

Don't take this as arrogance, it isn't nor is it intended to be. I simply believe HCDB was and is the right man for this job. I am not worried about him winning and leaving. I think he sees he can win at Syracuse and that he knows he will not be expected to compete for the championship annually, though he probably will be in the mix more often than not. The school just needs to take good care of him.

When VPI tied the game, I saw he was generally calm, he knew he was still in charge. He knows the only way through a storm is straight up the middle (also, the best way to beat an ambush is straight up the middle). Yeah, he may get upset and yell now and then, but he is always composed and not harping on people. HCDB had confidence in the kids on this team, kids he didn't recruit. The kids have confidence in him. That is a dangerous mix if you are on the other side, it is only a matter of time and then thing like today's game begin to happen.

Don't be surprised if this team gives fits to FSU and Clemson, possibly upsetting one of them. Certainly, the way the kids played today shows they can beat BC, NCState and Pitt. Not saying we get to 6-6 but I would not be surprised if these kids pull it off.

Don't take this as arrogance, it isn't nor is it intended to be. I simply believe HCDB was and is the right man for this job. I am not worried about him winning and leaving. I think he sees he can win at Syracuse and that he knows he will not be expected to compete for the championship annually, though he probably will be in the mix more often than not. The school just needs to take good care of him.

When VPI tied the game, I saw he was generally calm, he knew he was still in charge. He knows the only way through a storm is straight up the middle (also, the best way to beat an ambush is straight up the middle). Yeah, he may get upset and yell now and then, but he is always composed and not harping on people. HCDB had confidence in the kids on this team, kids he didn't recruit. The kids have confidence in him. That is a dangerous mix if you are on the other side, it is only a matter of time and then thing like today's game begin to happen.

Don't be surprised if this team gives fits to FSU and Clemson, possibly upsetting one of them. Certainly, the way the kids played today shows they can beat BC, NCState and Pitt. Not saying we get to 6-6 but I would not be surprised if these kids pull it off.

I'm glad he was calm, I would say 95 percent of us were a nervous wreck.

I'm glad he was calm, I would say 95 percent of us were a nervous wreck.

Yeah, probably why we are not CFB head coaches and stuck in our "job" as armchair coaches. I know I probably would be closer to Woody Hayes and Saban and Spurrier than HCDB. I remain clam at my job, but football (hoops, lacrosse, etc.) really get me wound up.

Yeah, probably why we are not CFB head coaches and stuck in our "job" as armchair coaches. I know I probably would be closer to Woody Hayes and Saban and Spurrier than HCDB. I remain clam at my job, but football (hoops, lacrosse, etc.) really get me wound up.

Me too, other than lacrosse, unless its a tourney game.

The best part, now the players know they can hang with a good team and win! Was VT slightly overrated? Three wins at home against lower tier opponents and one win on the road in a monsoon against a passing team.

Regardless, two weeks ago we lose this game. Four weeks ago we lose big. This team has grown tremendously in all phases.

I sure as hope you're calm with your job. Much better than freaking out when something goes wrong.

I knew I would be watching until the end. Not because I had faith in the team but because I was supposed to go over and watch the Tennessee Alabama game with my family. I've missed every Alabama game this year and told them I would be there for the second half because Syracuse would be down 3 TDs... of course this game ended up being the most fun I've had watching Syracuse while in the ACC and the Alabama game was a blowout. What a great day.

I'm guessing all the a holes that left the game once it was tied, believed that we would lose once it was 17-17

I must admit as well I thought it was over when VT tied up the game for a split second. I also felt like VT came out flat in the second half. It felt so good to watch a team fall apart and it wasn't US!! The kids played their hearts out!! I loved watching Babers big up the defense when they made great plays. The crowd was loud and effective. Dang just imagine how loud it could be with a full house. If you missed this game you missed a good one. I also say whoever said this team doesn't have talent, what do you say now? A little motivation goes a looonggg way! Bring on FSU, Clemson, Pitt, NC State, we are NOT afraid!!! I can't wait to see this team when they get a little bit more experience under their young belt. Hell...can we be ranked in the future?? All of this excitement is giving me a headache. I can't wait to see what the future holds for us. Lock the doors Babers!!! I believe we can get to 6!!! One upset down two to Gooo Orange!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom