Beef up the DEs and recruit some DBs with Dino's scheme we will be alright | Syracusefan.com

Beef up the DEs and recruit some DBs with Dino's scheme we will be alright

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am looking at other NE teams. If SU had BC's defense we could win 8-9 games with Dino's offense. We need to recruit the same athletes BC does and give 2-3 years to build up depth.

The offense will work in time. Dino's track record makes that obvious. While it obvious we start fast and fade that has more to do with depth than anything. The OL breaks down. We will be fine if the OL develops. This year is taking the lumps and just developing talent.

To get better though we need better talent at DEs and CBs/S. Pure and simple. Recruit HS OL/WR/RB/LB/QB and hammer the JUCO market for DBs/DEs.

I hate to say it but if we are looking for a quick turn around on D we have to go the JUCO route...

DE is the one position I feel comfortable with on the D because we have the players, just have to wait it out. Between Coleman, Black, Pickard, Ruff (who I assume is still developing there?), Nelson, they're all on board, they're all young, they all have the frame. 6 foot 4 or taller, 230 lbs or more. They'll gain experience and add weight.

The LBs and secondary I'm more worried about because we still have to recruit to the size we need for this system. Other than Armstrong, how many are already on board?

The young safeties that are playing should only get better, but they're not going to get any taller.

DE is the one position I feel comfortable with on the D because we have the players, just have to wait it out. Between Coleman, Black, Pickard, Ruff (who I assume is still developing there?), Nelson, they're all on board, they're all young, they all have the frame. 6 foot 4 or taller, 230 lbs or more. They'll gain experience and add weight.

The LBs and secondary I'm more worried about because we still have to recruit to the size we need for this system. Other than Armstrong, how many are already on board?

The young safeties that are playing should only get better, but they're not going to get any taller.

Fagan is a verballed kid who could make an immediate impact at LB. Huge and can run.

I'm concerned about the defensive personnel. I think it's 2 years out as I just don't see the pieces in place even adding this year's class. I think it's 2 more classes away (the current frosh who've been thrown in the deep end will be juniors).

2017 class if they sign and qualify:

LB Zach Morton 6’4- 225 (Detroit)

LB Tyrell Richards 6’3- 225 (Ontario)

LB Nadarius Fagan 6’2- 200 (Miami)

LB Kadeem Trotter 6’2- 205 (Ohio)

DT Curtis Harper 6’3- 285 (Pennsylvania)

DE Jonathan Kinglsey 6’5- 220 (Baltimore) **** HUGE grain of salt

DB Eric Coley 6’1- 180 (coaches kid)

DB Ifeatu Melifonwu 6’2- 180 (Mass)

RB/DB Allen Stritzinger 6’1- 183 (Detroit)

We need to get S Pierre qualified, S DClarke healthy and we’re all sort of hoping we re-sign S/LB Marquis Blair who’s at Dodge City CC

we still have about 7/8 more slots to fill. Question is where.

I'm concerned about the defensive personnel. I think it's 2 years out as I just don't see the pieces in place even adding this year's class. I think it's 2 more classes away (the current frosh who've been thrown in the deep end will be juniors).

2017 class if they sign and qualify:

LB Zach Morton 6’4- 225 (Detroit)

LB Tyrell Richards 6’3- 225 (Ontario)

LB Nadarius Fagan 6’2- 200 (Miami)

LB Kadeem Trotter 6’2- 205 (Ohio)

DT Curtis Harper 6’3- 285 (Pennsylvania)

DE Jonathan Kinglsey 6’5- 220 (Baltimore) **** HUGE grain of salt

DB Eric Coley 6’1- 180 (coaches kid)

DB Ifeatu Melifonwu 6’2- 180 (Mass)

RB/DB Allen Stritzinger 6’1- 183 (Detroit)

We need to get S Pierre qualified, S DClarke healthy and we’re all sort of hoping we re-sign S/LB Marquis Blair who’s at Dodge City CC

we still have about 7/8 more slots to fill. Question is where.

I don't think Coley being a coaches kid is relevant info at all. He's a p5 player.

I don't think Coley being a coaches kid is relevant info at all. He's a p5 player.

it's not relevant but he's not exactly from Fayetteville Manlius and state or city is what i listed in parens.

I am looking at other NE teams. If SU had BC's defense we could win 8-9 games with Dino's offense. We need to recruit the same athletes BC does and give 2-3 years to build up depth.

The offense will work in time. Dino's track record makes that obvious. While it obvious we start fast and fade that has more to do with depth than anything. The OL breaks down. We will be fine if the OL develops. This year is taking the lumps and just developing talent.

To get better though we need better talent at DEs and CBs/S. Pure and simple. Recruit HS OL/WR/RB/LB/QB and hammer the JUCO market for DBs/DEs.

We need better talent at every position.

And we need much better depth at every position.

HS or JUCO - however it is done - we need a full roster of scholarship players who can more than compete at the ACC level.

We clearly need greater size at safety - tall, rangy guys like Darius and Tony Jones.

Could be if James Pierre is actually still in school, he and Clarke could shine in spring ball and emerge as the starting safeties. With Ellison and Cordy at backup, could cross-train Whitner at CB.

But overall, need more 6'1+ DB's and LB's that will grow to 235-240

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom