Benny suspended. Maliq still hurt. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Benny suspended. Maliq still hurt.

Maybe you should date him.
Christian Bale Oooo GIF

Not to speculate but the article says "remains suspended", and the first article said expected to return. All they had to say is no new info. One of Benny's best qualities is he wants to play.

If Benny is back tonight and starts...who sits? Bell or Taylor? I know which one I would start.

He won't start. I think it would be Bell & Brown.
Benny and Taylor at the first / second TV timeout.

Just think that is still a very small sample size. His numbers in the exhibition games and the first game are much lower than his numbers as a whole his freshman season. He has been on a cold streak. Shooters go through hot and cold streaks and it is too early to say what our threats from range can and can't do.

I think you're right about Bell; he is a streaky shooter, not necessarily a dependable one. He doesn't have that solid base, quick release and great fundamentals. He's more a "feel" kind of shooter, but he's far from reliable.

What we need are 3 guys who might not be Preston Shumpert or James Southerland, but are good enough that you have to defend them when they're open.

Taylor has started every game and produced. He's not coming off the bench. Red said as much in the presser the other day he's one of the most consistent guys we have.

OK, then. Fair play to Red and to Taylor. He's been good so far, but a little inconsistent.

I'm not worried that we don't know why Benny is suspended, but it's completely reasonable to be a bit worried there is no timeline. Guess all we can do is wait.

Last edited:
is it public what he did yet other than walk out of practice?

This is just excusing bad behavior.

Kind of my sentiment as well. I'm in no way diminishing the challenges of being a D1 athlete and being a full time student to boot. But, these dudes also have access, upon access, to many things afforded to them that the average Joe student doesn't. Additionally, the free ride scholly and no worries, anxiety, etc. on that front. Not to mention the stipends provided nowadays, NIL, etc., etc.

Fact is, many of us who had to work, whether work study, being an RA or whatever the case, had to grow up pretty fast and be mature. As you alluded to, it's convenient make excuses for bad or inappropriate behavior, especially as an upperclassman.

I completely believe this.

I used to be an academic advisor in the UVa athletic department and was mostly counseling football players but also wrestlers and tennis players.

One thing I can tell you firsthand is that being a college athlete at the D1 (or any!) level is extremely difficult.

Think back to your maturity level and ups and downs at that age and then add on the incredibly demanding practice, travel, and performance demands.

The guys I counseled had literally NO time to themselves. They had to wake up early and went to bed late and inbetween was crammed with classes, trying to study, practices, games AND having to spend 3-4 hours with me every week to help keep them on track. And it was not just academic work I helped them with, it was life.

Let’s try to avoid criticizing the character of our players. I know this is an Internet forum and we have the right to do so, but let’s also understand the incredible demands on them as well.
Can't like this enough. The grind on these athletes is insane, especially given the microscope they're under. I'm blown away by even what the players on the non-rev sports, like women's lax have to do. They don't get nearly the level of sport and coddling and they're simply amazing at balancing so many things. Teaches them a lot in terms of workloads for future jobs.

Can't like this enough. The grind on these athletes is insane, especially given the microscope they're under. I'm blown away by even what the players on the non-rev sports, like women's lax have to do. They don't get nearly the level of sport and coddling and they're simply amazing at balancing so many things. Teaches them a lot in terms of workloads for future jobs.
If this were Dino they could suspend him on defense but let him play when we have the ball. :)

This is a pretty big loss. Even if Benny didn’t take the next step we needed him this year.

So now our 4/5s are - Maliq, who instantly becomes our best big. He’s already hurt and now will be counted on more than initially thought. Him and Benny were the only 4s we had. Other than Maliq it’s McLeod, Carey, and Hima. That is absolutely dreadful.

We are probably better off just saying F it and play 4 guards.

Yikes, you dont think Cope is ballin ?? Whats he supposed to do ? He will never be a great trey shooter & maybe a few less TOs, but rest of his game has looked pretty darn good so far, plus he is arguably our best defender and unquestionably our best energy guy.
Im talking about Benny. Cope is playing his heart out.

If this were Dino they could suspend him on defense but let him play when we have the ball. :)
To be fair, I was more commenting on the general point that being a college athlete sucks. Benny -- who knows what's going on there and I don't want to judge without knowing the details. Certainly doesn't look great externally.

This is a pretty big loss. Even if Benny didn’t take the next step we needed him this year.

So now our 4/5s are - Maliq, who instantly becomes our best big. He’s already hurt and now will be counted on more than initially thought. Him and Benny were the only 4s we had. Other than Maliq it’s McLeod, Carey, and Hima. That is absolutely dreadful.

We are probably better off just saying F it and play 4 guards.
Yup, big loss. Won’t hurt us tonight or against Colgate if he’s not back by then, but we need him in Maui.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom