Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

All I know is that I’ve seen enough to know that JJ isn’t a starting PG at this level.

Think we end up rolling with a transfer PG /Q at the point.

If I had to guess….

PG-Portal will get the most minutes. Q could be token starter to appease him.
2G - JJ
SF- Bell if he’s back. Q if he’s not
SF- Freeman
C- Maliq - which concerns me.

Bench -Westry/Moore/Mcleod/Cuffe

Have a feeling either Bell or Taylor portals.
I think we pick up a stretch “4” in the portal to go along with a PG.

Not sure what Carey does, but frankly I’d rather keep him. Mcleod’s health worries me. And I’d rather Brown get more minutes at the 4.

Hima Judah are gone for sure as well as either Bell or Taylor.
What's the story on the 7 foot freshman

He’s not plug and play. He’s plug in if the rest of your team is set.
Yeah, all I'm going to say here is Syracuse fans are doing that thing again where they're looking at their best players and over indexing on the things they want them to do well that they don't, and are massively under rating the things the player does well.

Griff said Patterson is better as a freshman than Jesse was.

If that's true, and he's on the same developmental trajectory, he could give competent backup 5 minutes next season.
Just watching him move he appears very athletic. 7’2” is a big dude. He could be the surprise next year. I would not be surprised if Red does not bring in a center next year. With McCloud, Patterson and Carey back (assuming they all return), I’m not sure Red will want another big. I think you see a lot of Brown and Freeman on the floor together.

If that's true, and he's on the same developmental trajectory, he could give competent backup 5 minutes next season.
If that's the case he could help the team this year. If Edwards came back, this team would be a dark horse in the tourney. Next year is a whole new set of circumstances. The 2 games they've lost recently was because of lack of size down low.

My write-ups on McLeod, Carey and Patterson in my Basketball Preview last October incldued these highlight clips:

With a guy this big, you wonder if he’s really a basketball player or just a big guy who was convinced to play basketball. I’d say he’s a basketball player who happens to be 7-4:

That doesn’t leave much in the way of highlight films. This one, which appears to be prior to his knee problems, shows a springy, fast and athletic kid who hustles:

Peter Carey Highlights - video Dailymotion

The same question applies to William Patterson, our only high school recruit. Is he playing basketball because he’s 7-2 or is a basketball player who is 7-2? Again, I see a basketball player who is 7-2:

Where will big man William Patterson commit? | Syracuse At The Top of His List?!?!

Proven big guys don't grow on trees in the portal and those that will be available will either go for the NIL like Jesse did or sign with the natty contenders like Hunter Dickinson who went to Kansas. I think Red will try to see if he can develop a good center out of the above three. He's also play multiple line-ups depending on the development of those players and the opposition.

If that's the case he could help the team this year. If Edwards came back, this team would be a dark horse in the tourney. Next year is a whole new set of circumstances. The 2 games they've lost recently was because of lack of size down low.
They lost to Georgia Tech and Clemson because we couldn’t friggin score.

Yeah, all I'm going to say here is Syracuse fans are doing that thing again where they're looking at their best players and over indexing on the things they want them to do well that they don't, and are massively under rating the things the player does well.

An elite catch and shoot three point shooter isn’t a guy you build a team around.

It’s how you round out a team.

He got hunted on defense a few games ago and they ran thru him like a hot knife through butter. Is a two dribble player.

I want Bell back. I think he’s gotten better. But I don’t agree that his one thing is something a big time program is building around, it’s a final piece.

That sounds like coaches talking. Maybe he feels that Will has more potential than Jesse did as a frosh. Jesse played in 21 games in limited minutes and had pretty good numbers despite having Marek and Bourama in front of him freshman year. This season a frosh like that could definitely be helpful.

ETA: just looked, As a frosh, Jesse played 160 minutes over 21 games as the 9th guy off the bench. He had 35 rebounds, 50 points, and 10 blocks with 21 fouls. For comparison, this season Carey and Hima have combined for 13 games and 121 minutes this season totaling 18 rebounds, 13 points, and 5 blocks.

Last edited:
That sounds like coaches talking. Maybe he feels that Will has more potential than Jesse did as a frosh. Jesse played in 21 games in limited minutes and had pretty good numbers despite having Marek and Bourama in front of him freshman year. This season a frosh like that could definitely be helpful.

Coach pumps up his own recruit, sun rises in the east, etc etc.

Hope Patterson works out. But we need to see it.

Yes. If he was that guy, he would be getting regular minutes in the rotation at center.

Last edited:
They lost to Georgia Tech and Clemson because we couldn’t friggin score.
A few more rebounds could have tilted both games to the Orange. If Carey is going to get some minutes, he needs to learn the volleyball slap back to the guards with with one hand, that would translate in to a few more possessions.

This guy would of helped.

He visited SU.

We got his former FSU teammate, McLeod, who played more at FSU than Quincy.

Wonder if Kenny Payne at Louisville is let go, if there’s anyone we’d be interested in? There’s their center Brandon Huntley-Hatfield who averaged 12.5 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 minutes played/game.

We were recruiting him at one point, before he opted for Tennessee.

However, I wonder if Red has ANOTHER potential Tennessee transfer on his radar...

He visited SU.

We got his former FSU teammate, McLeod, who played more at FSU than Quincy.

Didn’t he turn us down twice? Once when he went to FSU and then again this past year?

The only guy I’m 99.999% certain (that’s because nothing is 100%) is back next year is JJ. He’s our starting SG and our scoring guard - I think he’ll be around 16ppg next year

I am sure Red will do everything he can keep Maliq and Q.

Bell is interesting because if he goes to a “better” team in the portal, his role will most likely be limited compared even the role he had here this year. He has a green light now and is playing a lot. Would he want to go closer to home and be say the 7th man for a team like Arizona?

Right now if we just add a portal pass first PG, JJ comes back at the 2, Freeman at the 4, Brown at the 5 - Bell will get a ton of shots.

I think Bell has it pretty good here - unless someone offers a huge bag or he wants to go closer to West Coast - I’m not sure why he’d leave

We don't need an Edey-Clingan-Bacot-Dickinson cyborg, but we do need a C who can soak up 25 MPG and finish at the rim, win rebounding battles and either block shots or be such a menace down low that opponents don't want to test him. I don't see that anywhere on our roster.

After finally getting the details on Benny's transgressions this year from someone who would know, I've never been more happy that Red cut bait. I don't think it's a coincidence that the team is really taking off with him gone. We don't need bad influences on this team.

C- Maliq - which concerns me.

Bench -Westry/Moore/Mcleod/Cuffe

Have a feeling either Bell or Taylor portals.
I think we pick up a stretch “4” in the portal to go along with a PG.
I posted my recommendation on the recruiting side:
Yaxel Lendeborg. 6'9" 240-ish, 7'3" wingspan, 80%+ FT shooter, can make a three. Originally from NJ with one year of eligibility left. Two-time JUCO All American and had a lot of D1 interest last spring. First committed to Mike Anderson at St Johns before he was replaced with Pitino, then went to UAB and has proven his JUCO play wasn't just because of poor competition.
I have high confidence that he's going to be on a top-25 team next season. I'd like it to be Syracuse.

ETA: I just don't how or which players are going to get sold on a bench role. It's tough to keep guys who want to start and its tough to recruit players to a bench spot if they're being offered starting roles - all other things considered.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom