Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

Are they kids or are they adults? You can't play both sides here. Adults get paid and treated as professionals. Kids don't. "Power 5" D1 athletes are adults. Case closed.
How they are treated and what their emotional age is are two very different things.
Young people being treated as professionals is done because it benefits others as it does themselves.
Extreme results of the dichotomy can really be seen in the entertainment industry. A sexualized young teen Brittany Spears is a prime example.
Now, young athletes face more intense scrutiny than ever, and it starts early on. They don’t have the emotional maturity to separate fact from fanfare as to how good they really are.

Last edited:
I’d like to see Carey and Brown on the floor together. It would help both of them. We can’t keep going small when you can’t shoot. If you go small and everyone can drive and shoot it’s one thing, but when they can’t it’s a problem.
Carey can't shoot any worse than the guys who have played the 4 so far and he's long and active on D.

Last edited:
agreed, I always thought this was rooted to him being put on a pedestal his whole life and told how great he was. 99% of people on this message board said as much. 5 star should play every minute. Well he thought the same thing. Seems like it went south when it was realized he'd have to work for it and he had too many flaws he couldn't overcome with sheer athleticism. Kid is as physically gifted as I've ever seen though,.

Yes! I could see Benny on our back line in the old 2/3 causing absolute havoc on offenses. Swatting shots and collecting rebounds. Catching lobs on offense and jamming them home.
It’s so unfortunate that it didn’t work out. Lots of promise there.

He’s had three years to get his act together and he hasn’t.

Spare me the mental health issues stuff. Lots and lots of people his age have mental health issues. Some are incredibly serious. That doesn’t mean one gets a pass for being ridiculously immature.

Best of luck to him. I hope for his sake he wises up before too long.

You would hope he would be smart enough to finish the year and possibly have a bachelors locked up if he did things right over the 3 years. Going to go ahead and assume that won't be the case.

He’s had three years to get his act together and he hasn’t.

Spare me the mental health issues stuff. Lots and lots of people his age have mental health issues. Some are incredibly serious. That doesn’t mean one gets a pass for being ridiculously immature.

Best of luck to him. I hope for his sake he wises up before too long.
The mental health takes are hilarious. He said himself he doesn't have mental health issues. He just can't control his anger and he's immature, like lots of other people. But it's 2024 and it's trendy to diagnose every personality flaw as a mental health issue.

No one was a bigger fanboy of Benny Williams than me.

I'm sad to see his potential come to naught this way.

Good luck going forward, Benny. Hopefully you find what you need and get another shot with another program.

I'm sure that the team looks a lot different than what Red had envisioned a week or so after he was hired. I figure he was planning on running out Judah, JJ, and Chance with Benny* and Jesse, then Q, Brown, Bell, and JT off the bench. I have to keep in mind that he's doing the best he can while basically missing three starters.

*an idealized Benny, not the one who showed up.

The mental health takes are hilarious. He said himself he doesn't have mental health issues. He just can't control his anger and he's immature, like lots of other people. But it's 2024 and it's trendy to diagnose every personality flaw as a mental health issue.
OMG. Most people with mental health issues think they don't have mental health issues. That is part of the problem with mental health and why many don't seek treatment. Don't put down mental health as something to brush away. This is a horrible stance. It is not a "thing" that is "trendy". It is a thing that is finally being brought to the forefront.

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

OMG. Most people with mental health issues think they don't have mental health issues. That is part of the problem with mental health and why many don't seek treatment. Don't put down mental health as something to brush away. This is a horrible stance. It is not a "thing" that is trendy. It is a thing that is finally being brought to the forefront.
I'm not downplaying actual mental health issues at all -- the exact opposite, in fact, I'm advocating for people who actually suffer. We've all experienced anger, anxiety etc., and we don't all need to be diagnosed with mental health issues every single time. Sometimes people are just immature or have personality flaws. And I think lay-people taking it upon themselves to diagnose mental health issues every time they see a behavior that is strange or different is actually downplaying real mental health issues far more than someone calling out that not everything needs to be diagnosed.

I think we need to be realistic . These athletes are now professionals . They get free educations and also receive NIL money. When they decide to accept their scholarships and payouts , they need to act as employees. My employers would never tolerate constant bad behavior !

One can struggle with mental health, ADHD, etc. and still be held accountable and know the difference between right and wrong and the like.

Our son, who is in this young adult category, is ADHD. So, personally, we know all about this 25 year old (frontal lobe) fully developed brain science. However, his emotional immaturity, lack of executive function, etc. does not make it okay and or provide a legitimate excuse to not take complete ownership of his actions or lack thereof. This is straight from his treating psychological professionals.

Last edited:
His teammates do not share in the board's enthusiasm over this event, at least per the broken heart emojis they are sharing on iG.
They'll get over it. It's the same in business, people generally don't like to see a public execution but a few months down the road where they have a new teammate who they don't have to drag behind them like an anchor everywhere they go, they'll be thankful.

His teammates do not share in the board's enthusiasm over this event, at least per the broken heart emojis they are sharing on iG.
Even the current social media generation would never say "Good, I hated that guy" about a teammate on Instagram. At least I hope not.

Even if they're disappointed, it might be they are disappointed in Williams' behavior, not in Red's decision to take him off the roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom