Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

If they go to college, they're kids. If they don't and go into the work force, they're adults. A benefit of class privilege.
Really. No lower economic kids go to college. Mmm.

Believe Red had to make a move here after he was given multiple chances by multiple coaches. It’s a long term move. Can’t have repeated outbursts and expect to be considered a net plus for the team.

There’s a standard behavior expected, and he’s failed to maintain them for an extended time.

IMHO, Benny was not going to be part of the program next year anyway. I think the program tried to help Benny many times, but he did not do much to help him self. At some point, it’s best to part ways.

We’re in the portal market for one if not two big men and a PG.

Let’s hope Cope plays out of his mind. We are incredibly small the rest of the year.
If Red cant get us a valid PG with his knowledge of the position next year, I'll officially be concerned with him

Believe Red had to make a move here after he was given multiple chances by multiple coaches. It’s a long term move. Can’t have repeated outbursts and expect to be considered a net plus for the team.

There’s a standard behavior expected, and he’s failed to maintain them for an extended time.

IMHO, Benny was not going to be part of the program next year anyway. I think the program tried to help Benny many times, but he did not do much to help him self. At some point, it’s best to part ways.

We’re in the portal market for one if not two big men and a PG.

Let’s hope Cope plays out of his mind. We are incredibly small the rest of the year.
I hope not just that. We need wing shooting too.

I get Benny needing to be removed from the team but why do it now? Why not just wait a month when the season is over and let him transfer.

Did anything specific happen after the Wake game that led to this? Seems like Red is just punting the rest of the season to make a statement
I think it says his behavior if effecting the team.

I would agree both are true. But here is the deal. The guy was getting a free ride scholarship. He was getting what I assume is good NIL money to play basketball. Is he easily influenced? Yes. But is this his first issue? No. At some point even kids learn they have to use a potty instead of diapers.

In any case it is all not relevant now. He is dismissed. I am not happy about it, but I also know he has had more than enough chances to change. Sometimes to straighten yourself our you have to move locations, change your friends. If a drug addict tries to get clean but still hangs with his drug buddies is he going to stay clean? No I am not saying he is on drugs, I am just using that as an example.

The ideal world of him showcasing what we all thought he might become is now gone. We are left with the remnants, pieces that need glued back together. Good luck to Benny in his future, and thanks for all you have done. Good luck to the team as they adjust to life without Benny. May they grow closer and become a full unit.
Agreed with all of this

At 21 I was in on deployment in the Arctic circle and then fighting in Desert Storm. At 21 he is an adult. He can vote. He can drink. But he can't be held responsible for his decisions?
Thanks for your service. As prior myself, I know for a fact you also saw all sorts of 21 year old shenanigans. You likely spent time on suicide watch at one point or another. Everyone is different, man. No one is saying there should be no consequences, just asking for understanding.

Really. No lower economic kids go to college. Mmm.
Not what was said or implied as class transcends simple economic status.

But lets say we are discussing just those in the lower economic class. Do all of them HAVE to go directly into the workforce vs college? Of course not. But do the outliers define the trend? Nope.

Those who grew up in a lower economic class:
- do not have the same support systems at home to excel in school (parent/s work multiple jobs, may not have attended college themselves, may not speak English as a first language)
- Tend to go to lower ranked high schools,
- Tend not to be able to take advantage of outside resources (tutors, SAT classes, extra curriculars, etc.)
- and, of course, do not come from the wealth required to make attending university affordable

You can overcome all of these issues, and some do, but many do not. Those who do not and thus have to enter the work force are no longer treated as children, they are treated as an adult. If they get caught piss drunk in the street, they get brought to jail for the night, potentially arrested for public intoxication and underage drinking, and slapped with a couple misdemeanors. If a college attendee does the same thing? They are just kids being kids and they get a slap on the wrist and "do better next time" from DPS. One group get labeled as misbehaving adults, the other? kids.

Plenty of guys were given multiple chances in this program. I am sure there are numerous players that none of us or a very small margin know about and the amount of chances they were given over the history of Cuse Hoops. To say BW was given the most I can't say is true or not.

However I do know there were guys have thrown a chair at the head coach, went AWOL to Niagara Falls, etc. In fact one of our favorite alums (atleast mine) allegedly punched the mascot who happened to be a female. Imagine if that happened in 2024... Point is young people whether "adult aged" or not grow up eventually. Some take longer than others. I wish BW well in all aspects of his life. I do fall into the camp that believes this move had to be done from a program culture standpoint.

I also have said a couple of times that I would hold off judgement on the results until the end of next season. No reason to get too high or low with this year. The roster was in rough shape and that was well before the Jesse situation crushed this year's roster.

I worry that Autry is going to lose the locker room after this. Mintz, Starling, Copeland, Brown, McLeod, and Cuffe have all commented on the Instagram post. Its one thing for them to be sad/upset at the decision, but its another to publicly react on your own team's social media post

I came to this thread to see if anyone spilled the tea related to the final decision to dismiss Benny.

I’m staying for the H0T Takes on parenting and the debate on when it’s appropriate to refer to people as adults.

Please start a Patreon or Substack so I can hear more of these takes. I would subscribe in less time than it takes a Benny jumper to collide with a basketball hoop’s front rim.

Not even close. These are 100% kids.
We need to stop infantalizing people. They're adults, young into adulthood, but still adults. Benny needs to grow up. Idk his issues, but three year was enough.

I worry that Autry is going to lose the locker room after this. Mintz, Starling, Copeland, Brown, McLeod, and Cuffe have all commented on the Instagram post. Its one thing for them to be sad/upset at the decision, but its another to publicly react on your own team's social media post
Mintz is gone next year

The other four should be contributors if they choose to stay.

But If they aren't on board with Red, then they can leave too.

Either way the 2024 kids are coming AND starting day one, and by 2025 it will be a completely overhauled roster from today.

What are they supposed to do? They have rights to their own thoughts.

They are probably close to Benny and hurting for him. However, they should know most of all how many opportunities he had and should be reminded the standard to play college hoops at Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom