Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

I hope Cope got the message. He was out of line and character for the first time I've seen. I don't think we will see him approach that line again. Red pissed that red line out in case anyone was confused with this decision. Now cross it if you want. Sad for Benny, right decision by red and we'll see if anyone else want to test him.
The sad part is, none of these guys seem like they care that they’re even on the team. We’ve seen bad the past few years but what we’re seeing here isn’t just lack of talent, there is a lot of not giving a heck about anything. If any of them care they really don’t show it.

yeah I think the ship has sailed on this season.

But the good news is 4 years from now we can look back and use Benny as the excuse why we didnt make the tourney like when Jesse broke his wrist
Nah, they’ll use Westry and McLeod.

From Drew Magary at Defector

Beware Of A#$%^&*(@ Trying To Co-Opt Mental Health Awareness​

Time for your weekly edition of the Defector Funbag. Got something on your mind? Email the Funbag. And buy Drew’s book, The Night The Lights Went Out, while you’re at it. Today, we're talking about the two-minute warning, T-Larry, rocks, Lou, washing machines, onerous fruits, and more.

Your letters:

Anon:

You are not the . I’ll refer you to this passage from James Robins’s recent review of Walter Isaacson’s biography of Elon Musk:

Same deal here. Just because you suffer from a mental illness doesn’t mean that everything you do is the fault of that illness, nor does that illness always absolve you of the worst things you do. In the case of—for example—certain retired NFL players who are suffering from severe brain damage, the line there can be indistinct. In the case of Musk, and your co-worker, it’s not. You can be mentally ill and still be a complete .

I know because I’ve used my own brain damage as a crutch to excuse my own poor behavior. I didn’t threaten people or anything that severe, but I definitely lashed out and was a general dick, even to those I love. Blaming all of it on my mental health issues was a cheap way of excusing myself and to avoid proper treatment. I didn’t deserve a Get Out Of Jail Free card for any of that, and many other heads do not.

I don’t think that’s a controversial thing to say, even in the age of mental health awareness. The goal behind the current movement is to get everyone to recognize mental health problems both in others and in themselves. That recognition requires nuance. It involves familiarizing yourself with a loose range of mental health issues, where they originate from, and how to potentially treat them. It doesn’t mean making “mental health issues” a blanket term for an impossibly wide range of conditions, because that allows for shitbags to game the system. It’s incumbent on the rest of us to intuit when such people are leaning on that crutch far too hard, and for their own ends. Musk is a perfect example of this, as is a work colleague who makes direct threats to his colleagues and should be disciplined for it. (I also wouldn't hesitate to notify law enforcement in this instance.) It’s no sin to call those people out on their . It’s necessary, in fact.

that guy, is what I’m saying.
Magary also has a strong take on mayo and those that try to make people eat mayo

I’m pretty sure we are Louisville loss away from a free fall the rest of the season. Would not be pretty and they need a win bad
Would that be the equivalent of tanking to get a high draft/portal pick? If so sign me up.

Everyone talking about the shoulder shiver but what about breaking multiple urinals in the locker room after running away from the hand shake line? That’s why Benny is no longer here
The bathroom trashing incident was with respect to his earlier suspension and it happened at the Melo center - are you saying he did it again and broke urinals at Wake Forest?

Good for Red

You have to have SOME rules, some lines not to be crossed, or you have no rules at all, you have no culture, you have no authority, you're not the coach.

Just curious though, was this mostly about playing time or how he was being used or just a smattering of stuff?

At the very beginning of the season, pre-season practice or the first couple games, when it was clear that Maliq was playing better than Benny and was going to play a big role, Benny got pissed, and sort of confronted / picked a fight with Maliq at practice. That's what led to the first suspension.

The bathroom trashing incident was with respect to his earlier suspension and it happened at the Melo center - are you saying he did it again and broke urinals at Wake Forest?
To break a urinal I feel like you would have to be very up close and personal with it.

1707265377130.gif

Maybe Dion heard what happened recently to lead to the dismissal, but perhaps wasn't informed about all the stuff that built up to it? Leaving the court early doesn't warrant dismissal if it's a first offense, but when you're on your third or fourth or who knows how many chances, it does.

He is an adult/grown man!

Yes, this person had more really good chances than a lot of people get in a lifetime. He was not appreciative of the opportunity, or of the feelings of those around him.

Even if he has mental health issues, he has been a narcisist, and not a friend to people who should be his buds, his guys. He has been a self-centered, whiny jerk. Buh-bye.

I hope that he finishes this semester so he can go elsewhere/get his degree. This almost definitely had to happen but I hope, for Benny the human being, that he doesn't let all of this mess up the rest of his life more than it already has.

I honestly don't give a shtt.

Not to me. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Certainly not some high school coach. No offense to him. We will know more about Red's ability as a head coach over the next 2 years.
That starts with some pounding in the off-season.

that's bullshit. I have a kid who's a junior in college and near 21. he has his stuff together but from a maturity emotional standpoint he's just a kid. And I have no idea Benny's upbringing either.

I have a daughter with autism who is 31 now. At some point, you have to teach young people that they are not as "special" as they think they are, and the world is absolutely not going to tolerate much of the bullshit that they are able to get away with with their support network. Eventually, the world stops feeling sorry for you, and you have to own the actual outcomes attributable to your behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom