Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

I have no problem with his teammates reacting on social media. These guys have been friends with him for years, some dating back to HS, and it's always sad when one of your compadres gets shown the door.

But the decision has been made.

The line has been drawn.

So either those guys elect to move forward and get with the program, or they can instead opt to follow Benny out the door.

Bobby Lazor is my biggest disappointment ever...edging out Chucky Gelatt
Did SU ever have a chance for King Rice, or was the UNC bag too much to overcome?

this is the problem in society - parents not demanding their offspring actually grow up and become responsible adults - especially by age 20! SMH...

Responsible Adults??? Why…….we don’t let them drink until they’re 21……

I don’t think AA had much confidence in Joe in the M2M. I am a Joe fan and wanted him to stay. The ironic part is that Joe could get his 2,000th point in the Dome Saturday. Needs 18 for 2,000.
I hope they play the Jordan rules defense to prevent that from happening.

Did SU ever have a chance for King Rice, or was the UNC bag too much to overcome?
We had Sherman and from what I heard, JB was totally honest with Rice knowing he wanted to come here so Rice was told that Sherm was staying our #1pg. JB told him he thought he wouldn’t be happy sitting 2 years behind Douglas and he should make the best decision for himself. Both parties made the best decisions for their success.

He wasn't as bad as Boeheim talked about in his press conferences. He still put up good rebounding numbers per minutes played, and he got his share of blocked shots and steals. Those are all defensive statistics, and he did better than many of our traditional skinny PFs who we try to play at center, for probably most of the last 10 years.
You are literally the only person who thinks this. He was atrocious and also extremely selfish on the offensive end, regardless of stats.

Believe Red had to make a move here after he was given multiple chances by multiple coaches. It’s a long term move. Can’t have repeated outbursts and expect to be considered a net plus for the team.

There’s a standard behavior expected, and he’s failed to maintain them for an extended time.

This is a big part of it. You can’t let a cancer continue to grow and not excise it. If you let it go there’s a chance you lose others as well.

These are all “kids” that are learning how to be a positive part of a team and are susceptible to being influenced in the wrong direction if a BIG problem is not addressed.

No more "one last chance" talks, ffs. Benny had his opportunities. At some point Red needed to isht or get off the pot.

The dude has had more chances than a cat has lives. I personally think he should have been booted of the team in Hawaii. I think Red knew his chances at a successful season where zero if he couldn’t get Benny turned around. The writing is on the wall now. The season is all but over for us and Benny isn’t going to magically become a good teammate.

Good riddance to Benny and the dumpster fire that has been SU basketball since he arrived on campus.

Before someone comes defending his honor I know the dumpster fire isn’t his making but he poured gas on it instead of water.

cope has blown the other forwards out of the water...he has had some bigtime stinker games though...so he hasnt really justified auto-starter status...no one has...the forwrads are a gaping hole on this roster

but considering what the forward corps is, i could see cope being disgruntled with playing time at this point...as his blowup with red recently might indicate...there are certainly other programs that might offer cope a starting spot.

same with benny...I know people wanna rag on him ...especially now that things havent worked out...and with how ridiculous his behavior has been.

but expecting these PAID players to be altruistic and only care about the team is a pipe dream

they are slefish and this era is the most selfish era in history. NIL is like gas to the fire.

struggling college is no longer costing players money later...its costing them money RIGHT NOW.

lets just deal with the current reality as it is.

all i can say - if I was benny I'd probably be pissed too...jt and bell have blown chunks for many games and have their spots secured? meanwhile...benny has been taking one for the team since the day he arrived on campus

a 5 star player being benched as a freshman is 1 thing. as a sophomore another.

but as a junior...with the coach that probably promised you that was all over in the offseason? its a lot to ask in this era of non-commitment.

i dont think Bennys behavior is justified and I am not trying to justifiy it.

i think this is the right move for the team.

but if I try to get into his head...he is probably pissed about being benched over two players that he probably outperforms in practice.

I know I would be...

if I was benny during this season...I would already have decided to transfer. fwiw

what would really be the point of staying loyal to a team that isnt getting you anywhere?

I think IF and When SU gets more 5star recruits...the clock is going to be ticking on their playing time ...from day 1. Was kinda shocked benny hadnt transferred already. multiple times.

i think part of the reason that his behavior seems so crazy to us as outsiders probably feels justified to him bc of things that have been said and done outside of the public gaze...which arent being backed up in reality.

and at the end of the day...players are right to look at the whole situation as - how is this benefitting me? same with any other job.

and if you know its not going to work at a job...a lot of people start slacking and acting out...they get fired instead of quitting...as a form of protest...espcially if you think your job did you dirty in any way.

idk...

its going to be wild if benny somehow kills at another school...and that is possible...although unlikely.
it would be wild, because he’s shown nearly zero skill here, that’s why he sat on the bench.

i hope benny changes conference at least. rather see him and at georgetown than pitt.

Who cares he isn’t that good.
disagree . he has size and skills. this team is not better without him . you say the same about kadary and jg3 ?

(5 pt.s 4 rbs 16mpg)

Last edited:
Yes, this person had more really good chances than a lot of people get in a lifetime. He was not appreciative of the opportunity, or of the feelings of those around him.

Even if he has mental health issues, he has been a narcisist, and not a friend to people who should be his buds, his guys. He has been a self-centered, whiny jerk. Buh-bye.

Good lord some of you are truly incapable of calling it a wrap and wishing Benny well on his journey. Too full of piss and vinegar to even turn it off. Crazy it's that hard not to be a whiny jerk

it would be wild, because he’s shown nearly zero skill here, that’s why he sat on the bench.
This is a quantitative loss...not a qualitative loss...we'll miss the depth but other than that he added very little to this team...they have tried to change the arc in his shot for three years with no success...looked great in warm ups but a flat low arc front rim banger in games...we got excited for one lob dunk per game! How often did we cringe when he took that fall away jumper from 10 feet and banged the front rim every time!... and we have a scholarship number problem next year (this helps) . We need to get a consistent shooter from the portal ...maybe a mid major guy whose 3 point threat can open up the middle for some athletic guys. There is little chance we were going anywhere with or without Benny this year...time to look forward and build this team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom