Best movie of the year, so far | Syracusefan.com

Best movie of the year, so far

moqui

generational talent
granted, it is very early and the cinemas are filled with dreck January and February, but I think "Mud" will likely still be in my Top 5 at the year's end.

It helps that [1] it was so evocative of my own childhood (substitute the forests of upstate New York for the island in the middle of the Arkansas River) and [2] I have always been a fan of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (must have read each novel at least three times each before I left high school).

The movie is not a re-telling of Huck & Tom's river adventures, but is certainly inspired by them. And, like Twain, it masterfully interweaves themes of friendship, love, loyalty, freedom, responsibility and coming-of-age. All driven by a pretty good, low key thriller.

McConaughey was excellent, as was Sam Sheppard and, especially, the two local Arkansan boys cast as the lead and his best friend. McConaughey has been on a roll ever since The Lincoln Lawyer and he is now one of those actors whose films I will always to to see. Let's see how long that lasts.

It's a long movie (2.5 hours including previews), but I will see it again. It's the first movie of the year that I have wanted to see twice.

Have never even heard of it but now will make sure to look for it.

I'm all about rentals now. I usually can't justify spending the money to go to the theater vs paying as much to own it on bluray.

Best movie I've viewed this year thus far is "End of Watch" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena as 2 LAPD cops. It's shot documentary style and is definitely gripping on multiple levels. I recommend it if you're at all into cop movies.

Movie I've been most looking forward to when it hits DVD is Cloud Atlas. It got somewhat mixed reviews but the premise of the movie is interesting to me and looks like alot of stunning visuals to go with it. If it's not good I will be a bit disappointed since it's taking forever to come out on DVD.

I'm all about rentals now. I usually can't justify spending the money to go to the theater vs paying as much to own it on bluray.

Best movie I've viewed this year thus far is "End of Watch" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena as 2 LAPD cops. It's shot documentary style and is definitely gripping on multiple levels. I recommend it if you're at all into cop movies.

Movie I've been most looking forward to when it hits DVD is Cloud Atlas. It got somewhat mixed reviews but the premise of the movie is interesting to me and looks like alot of stunning visuals to go with it. If it's not good I will be a bit disappointed since it's taking forever to come out on DVD.
I was going to rent Flight off directv last week they wanted 6.99 I chose to watch Netflix. they may not have a large selection but the price is right. I find myself watching movies I wouldn't normally pay for, and many are very good. That particular night I watched Stolen with Nick Cage, decent movie.

granted, it is very early and the cinemas are filled with dreck January and February, but I think "Mud" will likely still be in my Top 5 at the year's end.

It helps that [1] it was so evocative of my own childhood (substitute the forests of upstate New York for the island in the middle of the Arkansas River) and [2] I have always been a fan of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (must have read each novel at least three times each before I left high school).

The movie is not a re-telling of Huck & Tom's river adventures, but is certainly inspired by them. And, like Twain, it masterfully interweaves themes of friendship, love, loyalty, freedom, responsibility and coming-of-age. All driven by a pretty good, low key thriller.

McConaughey was excellent, as was Sam Sheppard and, especially, the two local Arkansan boys cast as the lead and his best friend. McConaughey has been on a roll ever since The Lincoln Lawyer and he is now one of those actors whose films I will always to to see. Let's see how long that lasts.

It's a long movie (2.5 hours including previews), but I will see it again. It's the first movie of the year that I have wanted to see twice.
I will make sure to watch it, I love those two characters.

I was going to rent Flight off directv last week they wanted 6.99 I chose to watch Netflix. they may not have a large selection but the price is right. I find myself watching movies I wouldn't normally pay for, and many are very good. That particular night I watched Stolen with Nick Cage, decent movie.

Flight was nothing like what I thought it would be. I wasent impressed.

I'm all about red box. Flight was decent albiet nothing like I had expected it to be and not as good as I had hoped. I started watching Stolen and fell asleep. It wasn't a bad movie (what I saw) but I couldn't stop thinking that it would be better with someone other than Nick Cage as the lead role.

Flight was nothing like what I thought it would be. I wasent impressed.
Yeah It was one of those movies where some people loved it and some people were just ok with It. Hell the best scene is right on YouTube, that's what inspired me to want to see it. Did a little research on the movie and it wasn't a true story, just based on one. Great scene though

I'm all about red box. Flight was decent albiet nothing like I had expected it to be and not as good as I had hoped. I started watching Stolen and fell asleep. It wasn't a bad movie (what I saw) but I couldn't stop thinking that it would be better with someone other than Nick Cage as the lead role.
Nick Cage takes any movie role lol. Lord Of War was awesome.

I saw it last fall; as it happens, I saw it on back to back nights, End of Watch on a Tuesday and Argo on a Wednesday. I thought at the time that EoW was the better film. Argo was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I was shocked that it won Best Picture of the Year. It wasn't even Best Picture of the Week!

I saw it last fall; as it happens, I saw it on back to back nights, End of Watch on a Tuesday and Argo on a Wednesday. I thought at the time that EoW was the better film. Argo was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I was shocked that it won Best Picture of the Year. It wasn't even Best Picture of the Week!

Saw them both and concur in thinking End of Watch was much better. Argo was decent but also thought zero dark 30 was better than Argo as well. Argo was the Notre Dame of movies this year.

I thought the same about Argo. It was decent but I was expecting much better. It has a high rottetomatoes ranking, but I think it should be closer to 75-80 instead of 90+

Great Gatsby movie was one of the best i've ever seen. Don't let the critics stop you from seeing it.

Worth seeing? Seems it got better reviews than iron man 2.

Simply too much Tony Stark and not enough Iron Man. Nor did I care for the way they handled the villain. Is it worth watching? Yes but it is a let down after the Avengers movie IMO.

Great Gatsby movie was one of the best i've ever seen. Don't let the critics stop you from seeing it.
one of the most overrated novels of all time hyped up Moulin Rouge style? I'm sure my wife will drag me to it, but I am not looking forward to it (and that has nothing to do with the reviews)

I've read the book twice within a few year span, and the movie really did the book justice. At first you think the book was very simplistic and not too exciting, but the themes are played well in the movie.

Worth seeing? Seems it got better reviews than iron man 2.
I was bored. Too much personal growth, not enough action (until the end, which was okay at best)

I like the End of Eatch more in retrospect than during the movie. I went in to it thinking it was going to be a typical buddy cop action movie. Wrong frame of mind to watch that movie in. I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anybody

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I was bored. Too much personal growth, not enough action (until the end, which was okay at best)

Exactly. An hour and half in and my son asked if they were ever going to show Iron Man again. I thought the ending was fairly week.

the great gatsby really ? frankly there's not one movie remake of a great novel to me that can truly match the wonder of sitting down and reading the original . that is unless your mind is imaginatively limited.
and although i thought the redford/waterson/mia/dern version was pretty good ( the dern choice threw me a bit) it in no way compares to the splendor of the descriptive prose of fitz's written page.and i was frankly sad to see harry potter ever go to the cineplex. god forbid the kids start reading again. lost magic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom