Best Spring Game | Syracusefan.com

Best Spring Game

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
That I can remember.

We actually saw a game for an entire half at least.

The play was efficient.

We saw some break out plays and some hard hits.

And I think we saw a QB actually take great strides right before our eyes- by the end TH looked like a pretty good player.

The game was well run- best spring game I can remember.

I agree, the first half was run pretty solidly. Efficiency was high. 2nd was over in a flash but we knew that it would be coming in.

TH certainly won the day. I'm assuming with how the 1st and 2nd team reps went that this is pretty indicative of the entire Spring.

1st D Line made the 2nd OL look pretty bad though. Depth there has me somewhat concerned, especially considering the perceived lack of depth on the DL.

Size, speed and athleticism have increased so much over the past 5 years. That seems like a long time but it's really not. Definitely a lot to like about the future.

Overall, I agree, best Spring Game in awhile.

There wasn't many sloppy plays either. With the exception of J Smith fumbled picked up by West. A couple of pass interference calls. It was a well played game for the most part.

That I can remember.

The play was efficient.

And I think we saw a QB actually take great strides right before our eyes- by the end TH looked like a pretty good player.

Thanks for the quick hitters. Sounds like it was a good event for the team and fans alike. That's a win.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That I can remember.

The play was efficient.

The concept would have been better if it was 1st team O vs. first team D, and 2nd team O vs. 2nd team D. Put the first team units on opposing teams.

I love the fact that our head coach has a catch phrase.
and he knows how to hash tag!

OK, there's probably a grad assistant who types that stuff for him...

He even used the phrase "hardnosed" when addressing the crowd before the game.

He even used the phrase "hardnosed" when addressing the crowd before the game.
I can't remember if it was on here or on Twitter, but someone compared him to a WWE personality. That's so unbelievably fitting it's ridiculous. If we don't have some WWE style chants and t-shirts in the Dome this year, it will be a giant fail.

I can't remember if it was on here or on Twitter, but someone compared him to a WWE personality. That's so unbelievably fitting it's ridiculous. If we don't have some WWE style chants and t-shirts in the Dome this year, it will be a giant fail.

This would raise attendance in the dome...

Given the "spring game" debacles of the past, including those under Marrone, maybe this is a big step in the direction of making the Spring Game a real event. If you think about some of the "Spring Game" experiences over the last decade, is it really a wonder that the crowd is so small? It's honestly been a crap-shoot as to what we get on that day and we spend a lot of time just trying to figure out what's going on. Give us a "game" each year surrounded by well-planned fan-team activities and I bet attendance jumps. I don't think 20K is out of the question!

Even with our defensive ends? They scare me.

We are going to miss MPB and Walls. I'll keep saying it over and over. Those 2 guys would have given us quality up front. We still have good players, but we lost a couple who would have been pillars of the defense (if not pillars of society). We are going to be lacking depth in the defensive trenches. I just hope it doesn't lead to us wearing down in the 4th quarter of games.

We are going to miss MPB and Walls. I'll keep saying it over and over. Those 2 guys would have given us quality up front. We still have good players, but we lost a couple who would have been pillars of the defense (if not pillars of society). We are going to be lacking depth in the defensive trenches. I just hope it doesn't lead to us wearing down in the 4th quarter of games.
Obviously we'd be better if both were here but we're stacked on the interior DL: Bromley, Raymon, Crume, Jones, Sloan, Coleman,Williams. The good news is that, reportedly, all these kids can play. Only two play at a time and this is the most beef I can remember ever suiting up at these positions. We'll be fine barring catastrophic injuries to 3 or more of these players.

My only concern is at DE. Come fall we will have Robinson, Welsh, Manley, Marona, Johnson, Trejo and possibly Raymon running at DE. I have faith that HCSS will find a way to make due with a stable of young and unproven DE's. Hopefully the JC guys are ready to contribute immediately.

Even with our defensive ends? They scare me.

Depth is a concern for sure. Welsh though I thought played well enough last year to be the starter so I’m not seeing him as a downgrade over MPB or Sharpe.

As a unit though the inside with options of Bromley, Crume, Zian Jones and John Raymon offer a lot of flexibility. Depending on situations we could conceivable put Bromley or Raymon on the end or drop down a linebacker.

Welsh and Micah Robinson are adequate as the ones, so we’ll need 2 or 3 other kids to step up for sure and those guys will be green and could crush us; Manley, Trejo, Marona, and sounds like Marcus Coleman is getting some run at end as well.

That I can remember.

The play was efficient.

Agree, it was nicely done. Good job by SS, the rest of the staff, the players and the Dome crew, who put down tables and chairs post game for the autograph sessions in record time. Even saw Pete Sala out there running around, busting his butt.

Appreciate their willingness to put on a show for the fans. They didn't show us a lot but we got a chance to watch many of the young players who are the future of the game play for the first time (or near it) in game conditions, and it was good to see.

Appreciate the free food in Club 44 too. For the record, the turkey sandwiches were solid, the wings not bad (could have been a little more crispy), the garlic pizza not so good (when syracusefan.com people are unable to eat it, something is seriously wrong). And the ginger ale was of a fine vintage. Canada Dry 2013 if I am not mistaken.

Just having legitimate D1 depth at almost all positions now made it a lot more interesting to watch, though we were really short bodies at DE, WR and CB. Whigham played some WR to address issues there. We had Nassib playing all the time at CB due to injuries at CB.

The situation at DT and DE is so different.

At DT we are absolutely stacked (this includes NTs). Probably the hardest place to get good depth and we have it in spades. Bromley, Jones, Sloan, Crume, with Williams and Johnson joining the team in the fall. Doesn't even include Raymon or Coleman, who I think are going to play DE to help shore up the numbers at that troubled position. The injury to Simmons and MPB's dismissal really will have an effect on the SU pass rush. Hope Robinson, Welsh and company can rise to the occasion here. Maybe Trejo too.

Depth is a concern for sure. Welsh though I thought played well enough last year to be the starter so I’m not seeing him as a downgrade over MPB or Sharpe.

As a unit though the inside with options of Bromley, Crume, Zian Jones and John Raymon offer a lot of flexibility. Depending on situations we could conceivable put Bromley or Raymon on the end or drop down a linebacker.

Welsh and Micah Robinson are adequate as the ones, so we’ll need 2 or 3 other kids to step up for sure and those guys will be green and could crush us; Manley, Trejo, Marona, and sounds like Marcus Coleman is getting some run at end as well.

I think Welsh is going to have a really solid year. Fan favorite in the making.

Obviously we'd be better if both were here but we're stacked on the interior DL: Bromley, Raymon, Crume, Jones, Sloan, Coleman,Williams. The good news is that, reportedly, all these kids can play. Only two play at a time and this is the most beef I can remember ever suiting up at these positions. We'll be fine barring catastrophic injuries to 3 or more of these players.

My only concern is at DE. Come fall we will have Robinson, Welsh, Manley, Marona, Johnson, Trejo and possibly Raymon running at DE. I have faith that HCSS will find a way to make due with a stable of young and unproven DE's. Hopefully the JC guys are ready to contribute immediately.
Did Trejo play in the spring game? I don't see him on the SUathletics roster.

That I can remember.

The play was efficient.

A better game than even St. P ever had?

A better game than even St. P ever had?

Good point.

It's possible that the two Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl and Gator Bowl teams had better springs.

Thanks for reminding me.

This would raise attendance in the dome...

You should buy HCSS some wrestling tights so he can come flying down the ramp as "The Orange Crush" ... question is can he suplex the Undertaker ... my bet would be on HCSS to end the Taker's streak at 21 at the next Wrestlemania!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom