Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

No seriously - Oklahoma to the B1G.
Report: Nebraska wants to rejoin Big 12

musical_chair.jpg

Brand, Market, BBall, Geographic Continuity, AAU, History with Nebraska/Texas/Oklahoma. Also they have studied Kansas in the past as an expansion candidate.

And the Big 12 has studied Rice as an expansion candidate too.

Zero point zero percent chance.

I think Kansas is a perfect match for the Big 10. A patsy for football to build up the upper teams records and adds money to them for hoops along with solid academics.

Sounds like SU, other than a few brief years here and there of football relevance. Just saying.

I assume you meant this as hyperbole to make a point. I, too, think our fans sometimes tend to overstate our place in football history, but this is going way overboard in the opposite direction. There is absolutely no comparison to us and the Jayhawks when it comes to football history.

Cheers,
Neil

lol I am very involved in the university writing peer reviewed articles with my former advisor and getting SU back in the AAU is priority #1 for this new administration. not this scholarship in action BS from Cantor.

Getting back in the AAU may indeed be a high priority for this administration, but the last two additions GT and BU were ranked in the 30s on their redefined (they say clarified rather than redefined, but it was redefined) criteria from about the late 1990s or so whereas SU was ranked over 100. It's a club that is designed to be exclusive, not inclusive.

Cheers,
Neil

lol I am very involved in the university writing peer reviewed articles with my former advisor and getting SU back in the AAU is priority #1 for this new administration. not this scholarship in action BS from Cantor.
Would have to pull a lot of grant money in a very tough climate.

Getting back in the AAU may indeed be a high priority for this administration, but the last two additions GT and BU were ranked in the 30s on their redefined (they say clarified rather than redefined, but it was redefined) criteria from about the late 1990s or so whereas SU was ranked over 100. It's a club that is designed to be exclusive, not inclusive.

Cheers,
Neil
No doubt Cantor and her liberal policies have hurt SU.

No doubt Cantor and her liberal policies have hurt SU.

Hard to blame Cantor on this one since when the redefined/clarified criteria came into existence, we were basically put on "secret probation" in 2000 and had a decade to right the ship or risk being removed from the club. If anything, the things that may have ultimately cost SU AAU membership was giving up Upstate Medical and ESF, which were done for valid reasons at the time. Not that having both today would have bolstered SU into the Top 40 of the revised/clarified criteria, but having them both would have likely been good enough to propel SU into the low 90s or high 80s to prevent its ouster from the club.

Cheers,
Neil

So it appears the choices are:

1) not expand
2) expand by 2
3) expand by 4
4) table expansion
5) announce Ok and Texas are leaving and asking 4 teams to join
6) do nothing

They make the old big east leadership look brilliant

And now option #6...not expand, but wrangle more $ from ESPN and Fox.

If that actually happens, I would like to point out for those scoring at home...ESPN would be paying the BIG12 NOT to add UCONN to their conference.

That should sit well in Storrs...and the homes of every elected Connecticut Stste official.

If that actually happens, I would like to point out for those scoring at home...ESPN would be paying the BIG12 NOT to add UCONN to their conference.

That should sit well in Storrs...and the homes of every elected Connecticut Stste official.
Big 12 dangling that UConn threat. Don't make me pull this car over.

If ESPN/FOX pay the league more $$$ for nothing then they are crazy. They did that previously. How did it work out for them? The ratings for B12 games over the past three years have been pathetic.

Just to give a taste of what I am talking about - over the past three years B1G, ACC, B12 designated home games (those games that are a part of the TV contract) with at least 1 million viewers:

B1G - 59 - average number of viewers 4.62 million viewers (total number is less due to BTN which is not metered, or at least not that I can easily find)
ACC - 71 - average number of viewers 3.52 million viewers
B12 - 70 - average number of viewers 2.71 million viewers

None of the above includes the ABC/ESPN2 mirror games with the B1G getting about 9 of those a year, the ACC 6 a year, and the B12 4 a year.

Home games with 5 million viewers plus over the same three year period:

B1G - 18 games
ACC - 16 games
B12 - 5 games

So far this year the B12 has 2 homes that received more than 5 millions viewers while the ACC already has 5 with the potential for at least three more - Clemson@FSU, Florida@FSU, and the ACC championship. Miami@VT might have been another but it's scheduled for Thursday night, and those match-ups don't do nearly as well as they used to do now that they are competing against the NFL. Only game left on the B12 schedule that might achieve 5 million viewers this year based upon the past three years data is Baylor@OU.

Cheers,
Neil

If ESPN/FOX pay the league more $$$ for nothing then they are crazy. They did that previously. How did it work out for them? The ratings for B12 games over the past three years have been pathetic.

Just to give a taste of what I am talking about - over the past three years B1G, ACC, B12 designated home games (those games that are a part of the TV contract) with at least 1 million viewers:

B1G - 59 - average number of viewers 4.62 million viewers (total number is less due to BTN which is not metered, or at least not that I can easily find)
ACC - 71 - average number of viewers 3.52 million viewers
B12 - 70 - average number of viewers 2.71 million viewers

None of the above includes the ABC/ESPN2 mirror games with the B1G getting about 9 of those a year, the ACC 6 a year, and the B12 4 a year.

Home games with 5 million viewers plus over the same three year period:

B1G - 18 games
ACC - 16 games
B12 - 5 games

So far this year the B12 has 2 homes that received more than 5 millions viewers while the ACC already has 5 with the potential for at least three more - Clemson@FSU, Florida@FSU, and the ACC championship. Miami@VT might have been another but it's scheduled for Thursday night, and those match-ups don't do nearly as well as they used to do now that they are competing against the NFL. Only game left on the B12 schedule that might achieve 5 million viewers this year based upon the past three years data is Baylor@OU.

Cheers,
Neil

It appears that paying the Big 12 to stay at 10 has to do with protecting the existing product. The Big 12 on the other hand is threatening to auto destruct, much like Captain Kirk in the video below, in order to extort more money from its broadcast partners. If adding additional funds to the contract for every member added without knowing which members might be added seems to be poor negotiating by the networks.

This is exactly the reason that I don't think 4 16 team power conferences make sense. There are not 16 college football properties valuable enough to make the math work. Thus, I think Kansas will be without a seat when Texas and OU leave for the Pac 12 or Big 10 either together or separately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom