Big Ten dominance | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten dominance

They’ve done well to have the bottom of the conference stay out of the trenches and it’s paid major dividends in the NET and in tourney berths despite being nothing but mediocrity
That and they have sports media hyping them all year long

Same with SEC

And now Big12 is in on the act.

The ACC has a horrible PR and marketing team / strategy.

The ACC must have the worst leadership and strategic team in major college sports. It’s a joke that we continue seeing so few bids despite the overall conference success. And it’s not like they’re helping in football…

The ACC must have the worst leadership and strategic team in major college sports. It’s a joke that we continue seeing so few bids despite the overall conference success. And it’s not like they’re helping in football…
Seems like the conference is on its own for marketing. ESPN will always hype the SEC more than the ACC, and now the B1G has CBS, NBC and FOX hyping them up. ESPN should be doing more for the ACC, especially in basketball.

It is the same with football. Yes, I know they won it last year; but over recent history they have not been good. I can’t believe they have their tv deal. Overall they are bad.

Hard to believe Ohio State hasn't made the Sweet 16 in over 10 years.

Basketball schools Indiana & Maryland have not in since 2016. That really hurts the B1G.
They’re Ohio st. Not exactly a juggernaut. Doesn’t surprise me

That and they have sports media hyping them all year long

Same with SEC

And now Big12 is in on the act.

The ACC has a horrible PR and marketing team / strategy.
I never understood how the Big 10 got so powerful when they represented a dying part of the county. This was in the days when it was still 11 schools.

I never understood how the Big 10 got so powerful when they represented a dying part of the county. This was in the days when it was still 11 schools.
There are a bunch of States in the Big 10 and Big 12 where there is virtually nothing else to do. You can watch football or get drunk and try to prove that cow tipping is a real thing.

The big 10 has states with less population than NYC, but where 80% of the entire population watches everything related to the state's football team.

Compare that to Syracuse, UNC or Florida State. The population is much much bigger, but penetration is lower. Eyeballs bring television value, which helps drive everything else about a college sports program.

It is annoying, but it makes sense that many Big 10 and 12 programs are big TV money draws.

They’re Ohio st. Not exactly a juggernaut. Doesn’t surprise me
The Thad Matta years were very good, until he started having his health issues. Then the negative recruiting against him went insane, with rival coaches saying he was gonna have to retire and even spreading rumors that he was supposedly dying.

ACC’s primary goal is to protect the Carolina royalty schools. Duke and UNC are always getting in with top 4 protected seeds. They’ve negotiated first/second round tournament games to almost always be in North Carolina. Their goal is being met. Everything else doesn’t matter.

ACC’s primary goal is to protect the Carolina royalty schools. Duke and UNC are always getting in with top 4 protected seeds. They’ve negotiated first/second round tournament games to almost always be in North Carolina. Their goal is being met. Everything else doesn’t matter.
UNC was an 8 seed in 2021 and 2022.

Well now they represent almost the entire country

There is where the problem is. The league needs to locate its HQ somewhere else then North Carolina.
They also need to hire someone like our AD who spent 20+ years in Sports Programming as the Commissioner.
Someone who knows how the networks work.
Protecting the Basketball schools in North Carolina has been a losing proposition.
It's time for the ACC to either be a football conference and get the attention of the networks or they won't last until the GOR runs out.

ACC looking to cut to 18 conference hoops games from 20, will cut down drastically on overall losses.

Not sure moving an HQ from Charlotte to Atlanta would really change anything else. Duke played in Brooklyn this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom