Biggest But Best Misses | Syracusefan.com

Biggest But Best Misses

JazzNC

Starter
Thought this could be fun, and a valuable lesson on having more faith in the staff's ability to judge talent, character and fit.

Thinking back, what recruit in the last 20 years did you really want Syracuse to sign, and were disappointed when we didn't land them...only to look back in retrospect and be glad they never donned a Syracuse uniform? And why?

Mine would be Rysheed Jordan. He was a 4 star kid out of Philly and a top 40 recruit who ended up at St Johns.

He was charged with murder last year, and never lived up to his rating.

Last edited:
See I can write a positive post! ;)

It is a good question, and I haven't thought of you as one of the negative ones really. Rational poster.

Anyway, this is a tough one to answer. My brain is frozen. Someone will have better answers than me, like Rysheed. Not him himself, but good answers like that.

I think this year we really lucked out on a couple misses, but only time will tell.

It is a good question, and I haven't thought of you as one of the negative ones really. Rational poster.

Anyway, this is a tough one to answer. My brain is frozen. Someone will have better answers than me, like Rysheed. Not him himself, but good answers like that.

I think this year we really lucked out on a couple misses, but only time will tell.

Thank you. That means a lot. I try to be fair in my analysis, even though some may not always agree.

Don't forget to post why... not everyone can remember the recruits we missed. plus the purpose of this post is to defend the staff's ability to judge talent, character and fit.

I eat crow quite nicely, now don't I? ;)

how about biggest mistake? Fab Melo - absent when it counted and helped to seal our sanction, not to mention his stellar citizenship.

Don't forget to post why... not everyone can remember the recruits we missed. plus the purpose of this post is to defend the staff's ability to judge talent, character and fit.

I eat crow quite nicely, now don't I? ;)

Travis Garrison was in Carmelo's class. He was a PF who was supposed to be a rebounding machine...keep in mind this was in 2001 when our bigs were Billy Celuck, and Jeremy McNeil and in our last game Kansas got like 4654 rebounds on us . Long story short Garrison never did much at Maryland and eventually had to register as a sex offender.

Thought this could be fun, and a valuable lesson on having more faith in the staff's ability to judge talent, character and fit.

Thinking back, what recruit in the last 10 years did you really want Syracuse to sign, and were disappointed when we didn't land them...only to look back in retrospect and be glad they never donned a Syracuse uniform? And why?

Mine would be Rysheed Jordan. He was a 4 star kid out of Philly and a top 40 recruit who ended up at St Johns.

I know you're asking about hoops, but the answer is always Michael Vick. No explanation necessary.

Thinking back, what recruit in the last 10 years did you really want Syracuse to sign, and were disappointed when we didn't land them...only to look back in retrospect and be glad they never donned a Syracuse uniform? And why?

If we got Swider I doubt we get Bazley. We lucked out and although Cole is a great shooter Bazley upside is said to be very high We just went from outhouse to penthouse

Am I wrong in thinking that this was about recruits you wanted badly that went elsewhere but were ultimately happy didn't sign with us?

No you interpreted it correctly. I'm looking for guys we (the fans) thought we wanted, missed on, and are now glad we missed on in hindsight.

(In other words the staff was corrrct to stay away)

Last edited:
Travis Garrison was in Carmelo's class. He was a PF who was supposed to be a rebounding machine...keep in mind this was in 2001 when our bigs were Billy Celuck, and Jeremy McNeil and in our last game Kansas got like 4654 rebounds on us . Long story short Garrison never did much at Maryland and eventually had to register as a s e x offender.

Perfect example!

I know you're asking about hoops, but the answer is always Michael Vick. No explanation necessary.

I have 2 dogs sitting within 5 feet of me but I completely disagree. Vick coming to Syracuse likely stops the program from falling off a cliff and becoming completely irrelevant.

Travis Garrison was in Carmelo's class. He was a PF who was supposed to be a rebounding machine...keep in mind this was in 2001 when our bigs were Billy Celuck, and Jeremy McNeil and in our last game Kansas got like 4654 rebounds on us . Long story short Garrison never did much at Maryland and eventually had to register as a s e x offender.

That's a good call! I remember wanting him too. DeMatha kid maybe?