Bilas was not terribly impressed... | Syracusefan.com

Bilas was not terribly impressed...

supp

Hall of Fame
Just finished watching the replay. Good win that will look even better come tourney selection time. But they had an awful lot go right for them tonight. No Solomon. Kravish with foul trouble, which allowed for Ennis and Grant to score a bunch of no-contest buckets inside. 23-24 is an anomaly and not a trend. On the flipside, that fast break d is pretty scary bad right now. Those two straight giveaways by Cooney early in the second were ugly. I'd love to see his plus/minus rating. CJ has been forcing a lot of shots. He's not looking comfortable with all this extra attention. Hopefully that gets better as the season goes on.

We also had a lot of bad bounces on good defensive possessions where they were in the right place at the right time. Solomon hurt them being out but it also let them play small and use their wings to attack more. The entire game is maybe different for both teams with a big guy like solomon.

Plenty to still improve upon. Grant stepping up was huge.

Glad for the thread title. Watching the game, Bilas was taking more shots at us than Jimmy Sykes did, and Sykes got a whole thread dedicated to him. I remember one that was sarcastic after we did something good...I think he said something like we were going to hurt our reputation if we kept shooting free throws so good(this was earlier in the game when the finally tally was far away). That was far from the only thing I took note of. Sykes just focused on certain things too much, like a pitcher going to the well with his favorite pitch too often. Bilas took some swipes, yet I didn't see any threads ripping on him. I'm not saying there should be, I am just saying that some folks certainly are not being objective about such matters and was curious how many others has similar feelings.

Just finished watching the replay. Good win that will look even better come tourney selection time. But they had an awful lot go right for them tonight. No Solomon. Kravish with foul trouble, which allowed for Ennis and Grant to score a bunch of no-contest buckets inside. 23-24 is an anomaly and not a trend. On the flipside, that fast break d is pretty scary bad right now. Those two straight giveaways by Cooney early in the second were ugly. I'd love to see his plus/minus rating. CJ has been forcing a lot of shots. He's not looking comfortable with all this extra attention. Hopefully that gets better as the season goes on.

Talk about negative Nancy...

We won. And our offense was good. Celebrate, please?

Glad for the thread title. Watching the game, Bilas was taking more shots at us than Jimmy Sykes did, and Sykes got a whole thread dedicated to him. I remember one that was sarcastic after we did something good...I think he said something like we were going to hurt our reputation if we kept shooting free throws so good(this was earlier in the game when the finally tally was far away). That was far from the only thing I took note of. Sykes just focused on certain things too much, like a pitcher going to the well with his favorite pitch too often. Bilas took some swipes, yet I didn't see any threads ripping on him. I'm not saying there should be, I am just saying that some folks certainly are not being objective about such matters and was curious how many others has similar feelings.
Because Dykes does it to be a dick and because he's a Kentucky/SEC shill. Bilas does it to both sides, is a classy announcer that knows his profession, and calls it like he sees it.

Am I missing something? We struggled to put away a Cal team minus Solomon. We gave up too many points in the paint and had some really low assist numbers despite the points. A couple of those assists came in garbage time.

I think he really likes Ennis and he should. His scoring and assertiveness saved us today. SU FT shooting is becoming a strength!

Jay Bilas just acts like he's too cool for school. I really don't care for him.

Am I missing something? We struggled to put away a Cal team minus Solomon. We gave up too many points in the paint and had some really low assist numbers despite the points. A couple of those assists came in garbage time.

I think he really likes Ennis and he should. His scoring and assertiveness saved us today. SU FT shooting is becoming a strength!

I get that this is a fan board, but sometimes I think nothing this team does will be good enough. So be it.

People seem to forget that there are two teams on the floor and, at this level, the other team has a say in how things go. Both Cal and MN are very well coached teams and it showed. That corner screen by Cal last night was fantastic and led to score after score. JB made a late adjustment, took it away and we put Cal away. I'll take the win!

Baylor tonight then back to Syracuse for Indiana. LGO.

Because Dykes does it to be a dick and because he's a Kentucky/SEC shill. Bilas does it to both sides, is a classy announcer that knows his profession, and calls it like he sees it.
Bilas doesn't cook shakey potatoes.

I thought yesterday was the best they've played all season, by a wide margin. If they brought their St. Francis game last night, they would have got beat by 15+. There is a lot to work on, but it was a serious step in the right direction.

Like I said in the Minny prediction thread, we seem to always play to our competition. We don't blow teams away that we should and we always seem to play well when we need to. I don't care if their big guy was out of the game or not, or we made free throws all night long, or or Krevish was in foul trouble; we do what we have to do to get the victory. This team is solid and will be in contention come March. Just imagine if the big guys get rolling on a consistent basis. Scary thought. IMO I think when it is all said and done this year, this years team will get 30 wins and will be considered one of the best SU teams of all time. They have work to do, but when they all gel as a team look out.

It's our 6th with a freshman point guard. Let's give them a little time time gel

Bilas's comment about the free throws was sarcasm at it's best. Cuse has earned a reputation as a poor free throw shooting team. Besides, he and JB are friends and like to take a shot at each other once in awhile.
As others pointed out, he really liked Ennis, Grant and Cooney.
Jay Bilas is certainly in the top three of basketball commentators with his knowledge of the game and his ability to express it.

.I think he said something like we were going to hurt our reputation if we kept shooting free throws so good
Funny. That's what I was thinking.

And SU has worked hard for that reputation. They've been a lousy FT shooting team most years at least as far back as I've been watching (~1970). Don't want to blow it now!

I didn't see anything wrong with Bilas. He's probably the best CBB announcer out there. Plus I think being friends with JB and always announcing games with a Syracuse alum could bring out some friendly sarcasm from anyone in that situation.

I was more suprised at the love we got from Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg after the game.

Just to clarify my position, I wasn't trying to knock Bilas as much as I was trying to say he actually knocked the 'Cuse unlike the announcer(Dykes) who had a hate thread tribute the previous night because of his misplaced enthusiasm/attention. I think I had a valid point, but people are going to be fans/anti-fans of who the want to be and I'm not going to put too much effort into trying to change someone's personal preference. I don't know that I like Bilas as much as some folks on here, but I definitely tend to cut some of the other announcers more slack. On the other hand, the studio people that folks dislike on here I tend to dislike just as much, if that helps make me look more agreeable.

As for the whole friends with JB thing, is that more so than the other ESPN guy who JB said betrayed him?

Seriously though, Im not asking anyone to renounce their homage to Bilas, just trying to make a factual comparison to the poor fellow the night before who got reamed for affronts that were much less direct. Let me repeat again, I am not trying to knock Bilas... I just wasn't terribly impressed.

Whatever ESPN announcers we get, at least they know which players are which...unlike the new (to us) ACC guys.

I'm not so sure I'd label Kravish being in foul trouble as something "that went right for us". That just doesn't happen.

Kravish didn't plan to foul out, he fouled out b/c our players did a good job of keeping the pressure up around him and therefore causing him to get into foul trouble.