Bilas: Way Games Officiated Needs to be changed... | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: Way Games Officiated Needs to be changed...

arbitragegls

All Conference
but did not say much about poor officiating in the 'Cuse game when Greeny asked point blank about our game. Seems as if he wanted to skirt this specific game issue. Am not sure why because Bilas usually tells it like it is (are we all wrong in believing'seeing the officiating was as bad as we thought--or was it because 'Cuse didnt play as well as we expected the team to play??? I have my beliefs, but Bilas certainly causes more reflection--he says sure, a few bad calls...but all games have them?...Do we need to reflect and reevaluate this game?????)

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7737366

(place in browser if this doesnt work)

ncaa and nba need to take control of the referees. I just dont understand how you can have 60 and 70 year olds ref 4 or 5 games a week, those dudes should be retiring let alone reffing a game between some of the best young athletes in the country. I remember a while ago i read somewhere that uefa bans referrees from reffing after their like 45, i would love that rule here. The refs just needs some accountability, those refs that screwed up the st johns-rutgers game last year got a slap on the wrist if that.

He tweeted during the OSU/Cuse game that the Triche charge was a horrendous call. Bilas hates charges. His philosophy is that unless it is blatantly obvious, it should be a block. He doesn't like flopping and thinks that the current rules encourage flopping. I generally agree with what Bilas says.

ncaa and nba need to take control of the referees. I just dont understand how you can have 60 and 70 year olds ref 4 or 5 games a week, those dudes should be retiring let alone reffing a game between some of the best young athletes in the country. I remember a while ago i read somewhere that uefa bans referrees from reffing after their like 45, i would love that rule here. The refs just needs some accountability, those refs that screwed up the st johns-rutgers game last year got a slap on the wrist if that.
i'm convinced that a lot of the video reviews are really just referee timeouts because they're tired.

I should've kept track of when higgins took his time on reviews, always seemed like 5-7 minutes before the end of the half or game but i don't know that for sure

He tweeted during the OSU/Cuse game that the Triche charge was a horrendous call. Bilas hates charges. His philosophy is that unless it is blatantly obvious, it should be a block. He doesn't like flopping and thinks that the current rules encourage flopping. I generally agree with what Bilas says.
I don't get the "don't like flopping" stuff. A charge is a charge no matter if the kid falls down or not. "Flopping" is just good defense and emphasizes the charge...but it does not define the charge.

I don't get the "don't like flopping" stuff. A charge is a charge no matter if the kid falls down or not. "Flopping" is just good defense and emphasizes the charge...but it does not define the charge.
flopping is chickensh!t cheating and should be punishable by death

lol! Seriously? From what I've seen, at least 50% of all charges are acting jobs by the defense and way to much credit is given to the defender! In soccer, you can get ejected for deceiving the referee, I bet if they treated flops like illegal defense in the nba, 1 warning per half and a 1 shot T for every offense this problem will go away

Falling down shouldn't define the charge, but it often does. And that's flopping.

Um, well, yeah, you can't ban someone working based on age.

Um, well, yeah, you can't ban someone working based on age.

That's what pro sports does. It's ridiculous to watch chubby older guys chase down 19 year kids on plays.

The NBA is about as real as professional wrestling. I think they have control of the referees just fine.

In what world? Probably 1% of charges involve the defender not falling down.
That does not refute my post. If a guy charges, it's a charge no matter whether the guy fell down or not. However, it's just good defense to help the ref out a little by falling, etc.. The fact that a guy falls does not make it a charge and the fact that guy does not fall doesn't make it a non-charge.

I think the charge/block issue needs to be looked at, but there's something even worse--body control fouls have obscured the old principle of 'verticality'. When you can have a 5'8 guy get a blocking call by running down the court and smacking into a 7 footer who's simply jumping straight up, or worse, standing there with his hands up, I think you have a problem in college basketball officiating thats even more basic than overcalling charges.

I actually did see some NCAA officials get it right -- as Clark Kellogg noted in one game, the defender has the same "right" to occupy space as the ball handler. If he gets there first -- even if he's moving -- it's should be called a charge, but only IF THE CONTACT IS SEVERE ENOUGH.

If the contact is incidental, let's stop the flopping whistles and let the kids determine the game ... for god sake.

That offiating job by Higgins (22 fouls on SU) was despicable. He should be whistling CYO games from now on.

Falling down shouldn't define the charge, but it often does. And that's flopping.

It does not define the charge. A ref needs to determine if the defensive player has position and if the offensive player is in fact guilty of a charge. Whether the defender falls down or not should not be an issue. When you play basketball, you practice how to draw a charge...and that includes falling down. At some point, that has gone from good defensive practice to "flopping". If a guy does it with no contact, he looks like a fool. What do you want to happen...call a foul on the defender when their is no contact?

lol! Seriously? From what I've seen, at least 50% of all charges are acting jobs by the defense and way to much credit is given to the defender! In soccer, you can get ejected for deceiving the referee, I bet if they treated flops like illegal defense in the nba, 1 warning per half and a 1 shot T for every offense this problem will go away
Nope. A charge is a charge but falling after getting hit is good D. In addition, falling helps protect the defender. You say that a ref can't seem to identify when it's just an act (no contact) or a real change...so how would a rule help with that. The problem you see may just be bad officiating.

No contact. No foul. What's the issue except that Paulus did a poor job of trying to draw an offensive? Paulus "flopped" and no foul was called. Officials were correct.

Nope. A charge is a charge but falling after getting hit is good D. In addition, falling helps protect the defender. You say that a ref can't seem to identify when it's just an act (no contact) or a real change...so how would a rule help with that. The problem you see may just be bad officiating.

The number of charge calls is a relatively new phenomenon. I remember watching games 15-20 years ago with very few, if any, charges called. Most of the calls that are "charges" today were blocks 15 years ago. If there's any doubt in the referee's mind, then the offensive player should get the benefit of that doubt and a block should be call. And over the last 6 or 7 years when the charge has kind of taken over basketball, I think we have seen far more BS charges called vs. bs blocks.

College basketball is being ruined by teams that play clutch and grab defense up top and then fall down once the offensive player gets by them. (See Butler, Pitt, Aaron Craft, Wisconsin, etc).

Hence the entire point of this thread. And to my comment about what Bilas thinks, he thinks that officials call too many charges.

Case in point, Brandon Triche's charge against OSU. Officials are inconsistent in their calls, which leads to more defenders falling down and getting charges just because they fell down regardless of their positioning or movement.

No contact. No foul. What's the issue except that Paulus did a poor job of trying to draw an offensive? Paulus "flopped" and no foul was called. Officials were correct.

Well, yeah, they were. But that's one of many instances in which flopping doesn't emphasize the charge; it just is intended to deceive the official. It's cheating.

Hence the entire point of this thread. And to my comment about what Bilas thinks, he thinks that officials call too many charges.

Case in point, Brandon Triche's charge against OSU. Officials are inconsistent in their calls, which leads to more defenders falling down and getting charges just because they fell down regardless of their positioning or movement.
Officials make a judgment. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad. There has to be contact for them to call a foul. There should be no official calling a charge if they don't see contact. The call against Triche was a poor call but has nothing to do with "flopping". When drawing a charge, it is sometimes warranted to fall down to lessen the impact to help avoid injury. Falling down is not "fake" nor is it "cheating". It's defensive technique.

Kind of ironic that Bilas doesn't like flopping since his alma mater invented and perfected the technique. College basketball has to adjust to stop rewarding the floppers. Officials think just cuz a player hits the deck (unless its Sullinger bowling over an SU player) that they must blow the whistle. Often the correct call is to let them play on.

Nope. A charge is a charge but falling after getting hit is good D.

How is it good D, other than to induce a charge? If there's no call, then you're out of position.

Also, the flopping sucks, and it's way too easy to get a charge in college hoops. I know Bilas has said this a lot and I agree.

How is it good D, other than to induce a charge? If there's no call, then you're out of position.

Also, the flopping sucks, and it's way too easy to get a charge in college hoops. I know Bilas has said this a lot and I agree.
If there is contact, shouldn't there be a call? If the defensive player has position and there is contact, then it's a charge. If the D player falls, he draws attention to the charge and helps protect himself by lessening the impact of the charge. Good defense. If there is no contact, then there is no call. If, in that situation, a player falls, he looks foolish and was out of position...bad defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom