Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company | Syracusefan.com

Bills 2024 Thread - Misery loves company

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
With the usual gut wrenching playoff loss out of the way time to discuss all things Buffalo in 24, plenty of stuff to discuss beyond how the Bills will once again inevitably find away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Does Hyde retire? Does he re-sign in Buffalo?

Does Buffalo resign any of the half dozen FA DEs?

Do Tre and Von get cut with post 6/1 designations?

Will Buffalo actually draft a WR in round 1 for once?

Will I finally stop putting myself through this every year?

Imagine of the starters we lose Tre, Hyde, Epenesa and Gabe. Hopefully can bring back Floyd on a 1 year deal.

Lots of work to do in this off season. Beane will have to get creative with the salary cap challenges.

With the usual gut wrenching playoff loss out of the way time to discuss all things Buffalo in 24, plenty of stuff to discuss beyond how the Bills will once again inevitably find away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I can't imagine they cut Von this year, even post 6/1 the dead cap is just brutal to save 6.7 mil. Most likely better off hoping this year was him not being fully recovered and that with another offseason his skill allows him to be useful, if a little slower.

1706018747618.png

convince him to retire and take a 6 mill job in the front office for 1 yr

convince him to retire and take a 6 mill job in the front office for 1 yr
That doesn't stop the dead cap hits from accelerating to this years cap. I'd rather have him in 2024 then $6.7m of cap space. Only thing that could kind of work out is finding a trade partner that would take him on post 6/1. We get huge savings this year and I believe they'd get a 1 year flier at $10.7m.

That doesn't stop the dead cap hits from accelerating to this years cap. I'd rather have him in 2024 then $6.7m of cap space. Only thing that could kind of work out is finding a trade partner that would take him on post 6/1. We get huge savings this year and I believe they'd get a 1 year flier at $10.7m.
yeah you just have to hope that he can continue to rehab and get the knee back and be 75% of what he was 2-3 years ago. That should at least be of some help. It's just an aggressive move that completely backfired, not much getting around it.

Personally, I think the Bills take a step back next year, retool for 2025 and make another 2-3 year push and that will be about the end of Josh Allen's prime. I am sure he will continue to play for another 4-5 years but he won't be running the ball like he is now.

That said, they will still have a chance if they can make the playoffs at any point, even if they are the 7 seed. And lets face it, even if the Bills go 14-3 in the regular season nobody cares about anything buy making the Super Bowl at this point. Anything less will result in continuing to second guess everything to do with this franchise.

McDermott does not even warrant a conversation about being replaced at this point but I was kind of hoping that he may step down due to burn out or something. It's obvious that something needs to change but it probably won't due to lack of cap space and a coach who has been pretty damn good at the end of the day

Last edited:
I can't imagine they cut Von this year, even post 6/1 the dead cap is just brutal to save 6.7 mil. Most likely better off hoping this year was him not being fully recovered and that with another offseason his skill allows him to be useful, if a little slower.

View attachment 236828

Yeah Von won't be cut, but I could see them moving on from Tre (or him retiring), which is too bad. He earned that contract that we gave him and then injuries just killed him.

WR, WR, S, C (Morse back? Depth doesn’t ever hurt), WR, WR.

I have no idea how many picks we have. We need wide receivers. Ironically that was the biggest issue with KC all year and they still beat us. It just won’t ever happen.

Bills should have 10 picks in the draft his year per Beane

I think Hyde is hanging them up, I think Poyer might be back although possibly in a lesser role.

Daquon will get resigned but I think the DL and WR rooms are getting a makeover.

Looks pretty clear that Hyde’s time in Buffalo is up.

Looks pretty clear that Hyde’s time in Buffalo is up.

Saw that yesterday, great message from his wife but definitely feels like a goodbye message. I wonder if he's gonna retire with all the neck issues. Great player, would have loved another year or two but between him and Poyer we have to start getting younger at safety.

Saw that yesterday, great message from his wife but definitely feels like a goodbye message. I wonder if he's gonna retire with all the neck issues. Great player, would have loved another year or two but between him and Poyer we have to start getting younger at safety.
agreed and poyer kind of did the same thing last year but I do agree we need to get younger at least at one of the safety spots and probably both. I also don't think Tre White will be back either, with all the salary cap issues.

Regardless of whether Hyde and Poyer are gone (I do think Hyde at least is gone), we have to bring in young blood there.

Tre feels like a likely cut candidate unless we’re just too loyal to him. Sucks but it’s a fairly easy way to clear cap and he’s probably not super valuable with us presumably keeping Douglas, Benford, and Taron.

At WR, we have Diggs, Shakir, and Shorter (who shouldn’t be a lock for a roster spot). I assume we will cut Harty to save some money. Two starting spots locked down so you only need one good WR added but we need the depth too. I would think we at minimum draft a WR early and also sign somebody as depth. Draft a wide out that can stretch the field: early round guys like Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, etc. add a depth wideout: maybe someone like Noah Brown, DJ Chark, Cedrick Wilson, etc. And then either draft or sign a depth slot guy as well.

I assume we will prioritize re-signing DaQuan Jones but we will probably want to add some young blood at DT too.

Supposedly the WR group is wicked deep in this draft. Depending who they like, might consider an early round safety and one or two wide receivers later. A mid round center would be good as I wonder if Morse plays beyond next season.They do have 10 draft picks as ammunition to trade up.

Supposedly the WR group is wicked deep in this draft. Depending who they like, might consider an early round safety and one or two wide receivers later. A mid round center would be good as I wonder if Morse plays beyond next season.They do have 10 draft picks as ammunition to trade up.
It’s a deep group in general but if we’re particularly focused on guys that can line up out wide and put vertical pressure on the defense, that definitely limits the selection a bit. I would probably prefer WR in round 1 or 2 to address that and then double dip later for depth.

Without much research I’m going with we trade 2 picks and end up with

WR
S
WR
C
DE
S
CB
WR

Regardless of whether Hyde and Poyer are gone (I do think Hyde at least is gone), we have to bring in young blood there.

Tre feels like a likely cut candidate unless we’re just too loyal to him. Sucks but it’s a fairly easy way to clear cap and he’s probably not super valuable with us presumably keeping Douglas, Benford, and Taron.

At WR, we have Diggs, Shakir, and Shorter (who shouldn’t be a lock for a roster spot). I assume we will cut Harty to save some money. Two starting spots locked down so you only need one good WR added but we need the depth too. I would think we at minimum draft a WR early and also sign somebody as depth. Draft a wide out that can stretch the field: early round guys like Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, etc. add a depth wideout: maybe someone like Noah Brown, DJ Chark, Cedrick Wilson, etc. And then either draft or sign a depth slot guy as well.

I assume we will prioritize re-signing DaQuan Jones but we will probably want to add some young blood at DT too.

Have to get a young safety or two. Rapp isn't a long term answer and is FA and obviously Hamlin isn't a long term option either. Cap issues make a huge move highly unlikely but I suspect Buffalo will bring in either a safety or WR in FA. Don't see us having the $ for Pittman or Evans but hopefully we at least kick the tires and see if there's away to finagle something.

Agree on Tre, only way I see him coming back is if he takes a massive or at least a large paycut. Seems unlikely he will do that but maybe he considers it as I can't imagine him having a robust amount of teams interested if he's cut.

I think re-signing Jones is probably a top priority. DT position is thin as it is, bringing him back is a no brainer. DE is a mess, not sure what the plan is there at his point. Hate to waste more draft capital there but you have essentially 3 DE's on the roster and one is Von. Miller should be better next fall once he's even farther removed from the ACL but you can't just cross your fingers and hope, have to have some options there.

Buffalo really needs to free up some cap money. Cuts are possible but the dead money makes that tough. I wonder if they would try and trade Knox. Don't know how much interest there would be and Buffalo would have to pay something but if they could move him it would be a big help. Would need a 2nd TE in the draft but Buffalo has a ton of mid and late round picks they could use on one.

Lastly on the Wr's I hope they try for a big name or just wait till the draft. We have tried the mid tier or depth guy and it has been a bust most years.

Without much research I’m going with we trade 2 picks and end up with

WR
S
WR
C
DE
S
CB
WR
No point of even guessing prior to a few weeks after FA opens. Needs are going to change dramatically at that point.

Have to get a young safety or two. Rapp isn't a long term answer and is FA and obviously Hamlin isn't a long term option either. Cap issues make a huge move highly unlikely but I suspect Buffalo will bring in either a safety or WR in FA. Don't see us having the $ for Pittman or Evans but hopefully we at least kick the tires and see if there's away to finagle something.

Agree on Tre, only way I see him coming back is if he takes a massive or at least a large paycut. Seems unlikely he will do that but maybe he considers it as I can't imagine him having a robust amount of teams interested if he's cut.

I think re-signing Jones is probably a top priority. DT position is thin as it is, bringing him back is a no brainer. DE is a mess, not sure what the plan is there at his point. Hate to waste more draft capital there but you have essentially 3 DE's on the roster and one is Von. Miller should be better next fall once he's even farther removed from the ACL but you can't just cross your fingers and hope, have to have some options there.

Buffalo really needs to free up some cap money. Cuts are possible but the dead money makes that tough. I wonder if they would try and trade Knox. Don't know how much interest there would be and Buffalo would have to pay something but if they could move him it would be a big help. Would need a 2nd TE in the draft but Buffalo has a ton of mid and late round picks they could use on one.

Lastly on the Wr's I hope they try for a big name or just wait till the draft. We have tried the mid tier or depth guy and it has been a bust most years.
I absolutely love both of these guys. Hard for me to envision Evans leaving Tampa. I know he loves it there and he’s a legend there. Not impossible that they split up but I’d be fairly surprised.

Pittman is one of my favorite WRs in the league, but assuming we’re prioritizing explosive plays down the field, he just isn’t the guy at all. He has like 2 catches on deep balls over the last two seasons. Perhaps that has to do with the QBs Indy has had but they’ve pretty much exclusively used him on underneath routes. He was fairly effective as a vertical threat in college though so maybe he could get back to that.

I’m kinda keeping an eye on Calvin Ridley. I assume Jacksonville brings him back, but he had a pretty disappointing season and with all his drops and near TDs where he failed to get his feet down, he may have cost them the division. Still, the skillset is there and he’s definitely the kind of vertical threat that we want while also being versatile enough to not exclusively be a vertical guy.

I absolutely love both of these guys. Hard for me to envision Evans leaving Tampa. I know he loves it there and he’s a legend there. Not impossible that they split up but I’d be fairly surprised.

Pittman is one of my favorite WRs in the league, but assuming we’re prioritizing explosive plays down the field, he just isn’t the guy at all. He has like 2 catches on deep balls over the last two seasons. Perhaps that has to do with the QBs Indy has had but they’ve pretty much exclusively used him on underneath routes. He was fairly effective as a vertical threat in college though so maybe he could get back to that.

I’m kinda keeping an eye on Calvin Ridley. I assume Jacksonville brings him back, but he had a pretty disappointing season and with all his drops and near TDs where he failed to get his feet down, he may have cost them the division. Still, the skillset is there and he’s definitely the kind of vertical threat that we want while also being versatile enough to not exclusively be a vertical guy.

Ridley would be a very interesting add. He likely wont get an enormous deal and jax has other spots to fill. One to keep an eye on. I like PIttman to but with Diggs and Shakir probably not a great fit as you pointed out.

I’d take Pittman in a damn heartbeat. Most underrated wideout in the league. Don’t care at all what his route tree is.

I think the Bills would to but can't see it happening with our cap situation. Hopefully he won't end up in KC. I suspect the Pats will pursue him heavily.

I think the Bills would to but can't see it happening with our cap situation. Hopefully he won't end up in KC. I suspect the Pats will pursue him heavily.
Both of those options would suck.