Bills release Fred Jackson | Syracusefan.com

Bills release Fred Jackson

Toga

Living Legend
Surprised. Thought he looked good in the last game. Have to think there will be a place for him in the Bills organization.

I just posted in the other thread. This one hurts. I loved Fred and really wanted him to finish his career as a Bill. He was everything you would want as a player and team leader. I thought he still had something left in the tank.

Maybe they bring him back at a lower salary?

Maybe they bring him back at a lower salary?

Gosh I hope so. That would be the ideal resolution from my perspective. I try not to get emotionally connected, but players and people like Fred don't come along too often.

I don't think it's about the money. It's about the roster spot.

We clearly have an offense where everyone who touches the ball is able to take it to the house. Big play ability everywhere. Only 2 backs don't have that ability.. One is Boobie Dixon who is a RB/FB hybrid who plays special teams and the other is FJax, a slow 34 year old who has blocking/receiving skills and doesn't play specials.

McCoy will be the feature back. Williams his compliment. Brown as depth. As much as we love FJax, you can't tell me he is better than any of those 3. Those 3 also can house it at any given time. Again, big play ability.

Strictly looking at this as a business decision, Buffalo does not need a 5th RB who doesn't play special teams and has 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

I don't think it's about the money. It's about the roster spot.

We clearly have an offense where everyone who touches the ball is able to take it to the house. Big play ability everywhere. Only 2 backs don't have that ability.. One is Boobie Dixon who is a RB/FB hybrid who plays special teams and the other is FJax, a slow 34 year old who has blocking/receiving skills and doesn't play specials.

McCoy will be the feature back. Williams his compliment. Brown as depth. As much as we love FJax, you can't tell me he is better than any of those 3. Those 3 also can house it at any given time. Again, big play ability.

Strictly looking at this as a business decision, Buffalo does not need a 5th RB who doesn't play special teams and has 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Bryce Brown has done NOTHING to show he is better than Freddy, NOTHING!! Hate this move. Bad mojo, I don't care how old the guy is, he's the heart and soul of this team.

Bryce Brown better do something worthwhile this year or Doug Whaley is gonna look like a guy who can't admit he was wrong and cut bait.

Good luck Freddy, hope you find your way to a winning team.

It's not about Bryce Brown. Bryce will be lucky if he touches the field. Karlos Williams will be the backup running back. This gives Freddy a chance to play more elsewhere and also frees up cap space to hopefully extend Dareus.

It's not about Bryce Brown. Bryce will be lucky if he touches the field. Karlos Williams will be the backup running back. This gives Freddy a chance to play more elsewhere and also frees up cap space to hopefully extend Dareus.
McCoy/Williams is definitely the 1-2 combo and from what I've seen of Williams in pre-season, that's going to be a FUN backfield to watch.

Dixon plays special teams and can also fill in at RB or FB.

If you put FJax and Brown on the open market, who gets signed first. It's easily Brown because he has a ton of potential and talent. I know FJax is a fan favorite but take those blinders off and make a purely business move.. You keep Brown over Jackson.

McCoy/Williams is definitely the 1-2 combo and from what I've seen of Williams in pre-season, that's going to be a FUN backfield to watch.

If you put FJax and Brown on the open market, who gets signed first. It's easily Brown because he has a ton of potential and talent. I know FJax is a fan favorite but take those blinders off and make a purely business move.. You keep Brown over Jackson.

I think so too, but Brown has become hated around here and Jackson beloved. Probably depends on what you're looking for in regards to who would get signed first too. Jackson is a jack of all trades, master of none that could fill a gap for a year if an injury occurs. Brown is more a guy that you take a flier on because he's a young talent.

I understand Fred was behind Shady and Karlos on the depth chart and Boobie is dynamite on specials but Bryce Brown is a bum. He looked like a fringe talent w a fumbling problem to boot in my eyes last year. Hell he singlehandedly lost us the KC game last year. Hopefully he makes me eat crow but I'd bet the mortgage he won't.

Fred's contract wasn't going to change anything w Dareus' contract or any other contract for that matter. It comes down to: do you want Bryce Brown on your roster 2-3 years from now or Fred this year. Whaley chose the future. Big mistake in my opinion. Not a win now move. Backs like Brown are a dime a dozen.

This post is not an attack against you, you just happen to be the one playing devils advocate.

I just pray Fred doesn't sign in the division.

I understand Fred was behind Shady and Karlos on the depth chart and Boobie is dynamite on specials but Bryce Brown is a bum. He looked like a fringe talent w a fumbling problem to boot in my eyes last year. Hell he singlehandedly lost us the KC game last year. Hopefully he makes me eat crow but I'd bet the mortgage he won't.

Fred's contract wasn't going to change anything w Dareus' contract or any other contract for that matter. It comes down to: do you want Bryce Brown on your roster 2-3 years from now or Fred this year. Whaley chose the future. Big mistake in my opinion. Not a win now move. Backs like Brown are a dime a dozen.

This post is not an attack against you, you just happen to be the one playing devils advocate.

I just pray Fred doesn't sign in the division.
I hope Fred becomes VP of community relations for the Bills - either now or when he's done playing.

I hope Fred becomes VP of community relations for the Bills - either now or when he's done playing.
Realizing Fred and his family's love affair with the community and vice versa, I'm thinking/hoping Pegula will see to it that Fred's with the team as a coach or in the front office. I'd LOVE to see him replace Mark Kelso as radio "color" guy, he's brutal, breaks down every play in deep, inside technical terms as if he's at a coaching clinic.
https://twitter.com/Fred22Jackson?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

35 Bryce Brown RB 24 6-0 220 4 Kansas State
38 John Conner RB 28 5-11 245 6 Kentucky
26 Boobie Dixon RB 27 6-1 233 6 Mississippi State
42 Jerome Felton RB 29 6-0 248 8 Furman
57 Bronson Hill RB 22 5-10 215 R Eastern Michigan
22 Fred Jackson RB 34 6-1 216 9 Coe
25 LeSean McCoy RB 27 5-11 208 7 Pittsburgh
-- Ricky Seale RB 23 5-9 203 R Stanford
40 Karlos Williams RB 22 6-1 230 R Florida State
-- Cierre Wood RB 24 5-11 226 2 Notre Dame

Not a Bills fan here:

Could have cut four other backs before Fred Jackson, possibly five with Bryce Brown who is a bum

35 Bryce Brown RB 24 6-0 220 4 Kansas State
38 John Conner RB 28 5-11 245 6 Kentucky
26 Boobie Dixon RB 27 6-1 233 6 Mississippi State
42 Jerome Felton RB 29 6-0 248 8 Furman
57 Bronson Hill RB 22 5-10 215 R Eastern Michigan
22 Fred Jackson RB 34 6-1 216 9 Coe
25 LeSean McCoy RB 27 5-11 208 7 Pittsburgh
-- Ricky Seale RB 23 5-9 203 R Stanford
40 Karlos Williams RB 22 6-1 230 R Florida State
-- Cierre Wood RB 24 5-11 226 2 Notre Dame

Not a Bills fan here:

Could have cut four other backs before Fred Jackson, possibly five with Bryce Brown who is a bum

Yes there are others who will be cut but I think they wanted to give Fred time to latch onto another team.

Bryce Brown looked great in limited preseason reps. He's basically a Shady clone if he stops fumbling and I have to think he has given how harsh Rex's comments were about him before camp started.

We have an offense based off speed. If McCoy misses any time we'd have Karlos Williams and FJax. Williams, I think, is going to be a beast but where's your change of pace shifty/speed back? FJax is the opposite of that. Brown gives you that as depth just like Dixon gives us change of pace power depth. Dixon also stays because he's a special teams ace.

last game 5-48 yards and 1 T.D.

I hope my Raiders pick him up......

Sounds like he's headed to Seattle to reunite with Lynch

Well at least he'll be winning more this time while he's putting up with Marshawn acting crazy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom