"BJ Johnson can't play at this level" | Syracusefan.com

"BJ Johnson can't play at this level"

Some "fans" are much too impatient and expect big things right away and when it doesn't happen, threads are written. We can all be at least a bit guilty of this at times. Sometimes it takes time to develop into the player we know the player can be, and then some. Case in point - BJ. Take note "fans." Way to go BJ!

Hey, look what I said!

"That clusterf**k he threw up the other day was pretty horrific, but I would bet by the end of the year he has a game where he bails us out..."

Nice job, Ghost!

Hey, look what I said!

"That clusterf**k he threw up the other day was pretty horrific, but I would bet by the end of the year he has a game where he bails us out..."

Nice job, Ghost!

Mine was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Hope it came across that way.

I'm like a broken clock. Right twice a day.

Nice game for him. Strength and handle for him will be key as he's not a freak athlete beanpole who can just outjump everybody He sure has a nice looking stroke though. Also, we'll see what happens moving forward when he's actually guarded for most of a game.

It did...lol...I just like quoting myself.

I always enjoy a greatest hits thread. I think I said G peaked last year more than a few times. That was an awesome prediction. But I did say Rak was capable of this way back when - can someone resurrect that thread so some of us can get our kudos on that one!

Nice game for him. Strength and handle for him will be key as he's not a freak athlete beanpole who can just outjump everybody He sure has a nice looking stroke though. Also, we'll see what happens moving forward when he's actually guarded for most of a game.
Let them guard him and not double Rak.

Great game for BJ. He's an opportunistic player. Can he do this on a consistent basis?

He'll get better as he gets stronger and works on his dribble.

But nice night for a kid who had to be questioning himself.

Yeah, great game for BJ. He's a Syracuse-type player. We've had a long line of guys like him have success here. And, yes, we need to be patient. Myself included. These last couple of games are a big step forward but both BJ and Roberson need to be more consistent. Joseph too. Hope all the longtime defenders are vindicated. That's what we all want.

You did ok with this post, Forza:

"2-3, this is the type of post that can come back to bite you in the a$$ and kill your board cred.

We don't recruit guys who can't play at this level, especially with the level we've been able to recruit at over the last few years.

He may not be ready to play at this level but not being ready and not being able are two completely different things.

Plenty of really good players who weren't ready as sophs who blew up as juniors or seniors.

Forza Azzurri - Believing that we are going to win it all every year since 1976:E"

You did ok with this post, Forza:

"2-3, this is the type of post that can come back to bite you in the a$$ and kill your board cred.

We don't recruit guys who can't play at this level, especially with the level we've been able to recruit at over the last few years.

He may not be ready to play at this level but not being ready and not being able are two completely different things.

Plenty of really good players who weren't ready as sophs who blew up as juniors or seniors.

Forza Azzurri - Believing that we are going to win it all every year since 1976:E"

Eh, even a blind squirrel...

What I have is complete faith in the coaching staff.

If they recruited him, I gotta think the kid can play.

And I was actually wrong. He IS ready this year.

Before Belize a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned something along the lines that I saw BJ being someone we "talked up"(being a hero?), and not just in his Sr or Jr season(s), but likely before this season was over. It feels so good to see that now... not just because we predicted it, but because of the work and faith BJ and his father and however many others have invested. I've been proud of them before these games, and am not jumping on the bandwagon like certain people I won't call out. (remember those MTV "unplugged" albums like Nirvana back in the day? Well, whatever equivalent you can put in for me, I'm like Rak with 4 fouls, it's frustrating but it has to be done).

Congrats BJ, and a bigger congrats to OG. You deserve the inner smile I'm guessing you're feeling right now. You're son inspires me as a player, and you inspire me as a poster and father, and I mean that with full sincerity. I also aim to check out some of your games sometime if I can, especially that one with Loyola Marymount you mentioned.

ImperialOrange said:
Amazing what extended PT can do. Good for him and congrats to his dad as well if he still reads this board!

God bless him for still reading this board. I love this board as a fan, but if I'm a parent I'm blocking this board on my computer. It would not be good for my blood pressure.

if u can shoot , u always have a punchers chance

young fans they don't understand

reminds me of some lines from the song "Man of the Hour" by Pearl Jam, from the Tim Burton movie Big Fish. I request this be played in my remembrance when I'm gone:

Young men, they pretend
Old men comprehend

And the sky breaks at dawn
Shedding light upon this town
We all come 'round
Cuz the man of the hour
Has taken his final bow
Goodbye for now

I'd like to add 4 of my posts to show folks that I'm not just a comedian, and that I do not complain about much. I wasn't one of the folks going crazy and demanding "My 3 Sons" play as freshman as some were, but I certainly expressed different feelings due to the situation this season and am proud to have said what I said now that some of my predictions don't look as outlandish as when I made them. I didn't enter the Iggy's or "final 4", but this post and the 4 posts listed in it make me proud in light of recent events. A lot of people were on the bandwagon in the beginning, and I wasn't even one of them. I'm proud to say I started to like and respect BJ and OGBJ20 more as the bandwagon started to empty and left plenty of space for me to be comfortable. Nice to welcome ye of little faith back:

BJ's Early B-Day Present:

Carleton Thoughts

my predictions

Parents of players...

Last edited:
Confidence is a crazy thing. Team has a bunch of it right now. Just need to get 100% healthy.

Don't want to toot my own horn, but look what happens when kids start to get a little playing time.
He earned the time with his play. There were lots of opportunities early. He just didn't take advantage. Now he has, and he will get the benefit of the doubt moving forward.

I'd like to add 4 of my posts to show folks that I'm not just a comedian, and that I do not complain about much. I wasn't one of the folks going crazy and demanding "My 3 Sons" play as freshman as some were, but I certainly expressed different feelings due to the situation this season and am proud to have said what I said now that some of my predictions don't look as outlandish as when I made them. I didn't enter the Iggy's or "final 4", but this post and the 4 posts listed in it make me proud in light of recent events. A lot of people were on the bandwagon in the beginning, and I wasn't even one of them. I'm proud to say I started to like and respect BJ and OGBJ20 more as the bandwagon started to empty and left plenty of space for me to be comfortable. Nice to welcome ye of little faith back:

BJ's Early B-Day Present:

Carleton Thoughts

my predictions

Parents of players...

igor actually nailed a few of those predictions down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online