"BJ Johnson can't play at this level" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"BJ Johnson can't play at this level"

He earned the time with his play. There were lots of opportunities early. He just didn't take advantage. Now he has, and he will get the benefit of the doubt moving forward.

:bat::bat::bat: 3 weeks ago right after the sanctions were announced during the first Pitt game BJ played more then he had played in close to a month probably even more. Jimmy yelled at him 3-4 times before removing him from the game. How many times did that happen pre sanctions? He either didn't play or was immediately yanked post defensive lapse. During that Pitt game he was allowed to play through some defensive laps and get some meaningful minutes and confidence

:bat::bat::bat: 3 weeks ago right after the sanctions were announced during the first Pitt game BJ played more then he had played in close to a month probably even more. Jimmy yelled at him 3-4 times before removing him from the game. How many times did that happen pre sanctions? He either didn't play or was immediately yanked post defensive lapse. During that Pitt game he was allowed to play through some defensive laps and get some meaningful minutes and confidence

Lots of things happen that we as fans don't see. What I am talking about is what happens in practice. And despite what some people on here like to think, what happens in practice plays a part in how things happen in games. Watch the post game of JB, and he gives a hint of what I'm talking about. BJ started playing better in practice. He started hitting shots in practice. It isn't rocket science. Most players will start playing better in practice before they can do it front of the bigger stage of a game.

And every coach is going to give a player a longer string on defense, when they can provide offense, than when they can't help out on the offensive end. It is a natural progression.

So, BJ started playing better in practice. He started hitting shots. JB then starts giving him more chances in the game. Eventually, BJ started making some of those shots in the game (It was only a matter of time before it was going to happen) Now, I'm sure that BJ has a lot more confidence in his game, and that shows in every aspect. You stop thinking so much, and just start doing. Suddenly the game slows down and everything your being taught starts to make sense.

This has nothing to do with the ban, and everything to do with BJ making a natural progression that every player makes, given enough time, opportunity & effort.

I never once lost faith in BJ. He is physically a year behind everyone else. The kid has IT and just needs time to blossom. As he becomes more confident putting the ball on the floor, etc, his game will jump. Yeah he made some mistakes last night, but he showed maturity and grit. I'm sure he is going to have an off season crammed with dribbling drills, weight lifting and shooting. He'll be fine.

This thread may be positive this time, but it's a great example of the over-doing one way or another that happens here from one game. One good game does not mean he can play at this level. One bad game doesn't mean he can't. But realistically, this is not the first chance he has had this season. Like JB said the other day, we are now 30 games into the season and at some point you need to loo at the #'s--> Bj and Ron are shooting 20% or whatever from field/3.

This thread may be positive this time, but it's a great example of the over-doing one way or another that happens here from one game. One good game does not mean he can play at this level. One bad game doesn't mean he can't. But realistically, this is not the first chance he has had this season. Like JB said the other day, we are now 30 games into the season and at some point you need to loo at the #'s--> Bj and Ron are shooting 20% or whatever from field/3.

You mean 3 very good games where he scored double digits just this month, don't you? BJ's shooting 39% from 3 over the past 5 games in a difficult conference stretch.

good for bj..I was one of his biggest haters but glad to eat some crow now. That just shows you the expectations this program has. Nothing will change and I expect everyone in uniform to contribute and make an impact or they will hear it and rightfully so.

good for bj..I was one of his biggest haters but glad to eat some crow now. That just shows you the expectations this program has. Nothing will change and I expect everyone in uniform to contribute and make an impact or they will hear it and rightfully so.

That's crow? Sounds a little peacocky to me. :rolleyes:

Bet the coaches and BJ's own expectations, confidence, hard work, and willingness to learn had a little more to do with his improvement than crazy internet dissing from "fans" motivating him.

Last edited:
Lots of things happen that we as fans don't see. What I am talking about is what happens in practice. And despite what some people on here like to think, what happens in practice plays a part in how things happen in games. Watch the post game of JB, and he gives a hint of what I'm talking about. BJ started playing better in practice. He started hitting shots in practice. It isn't rocket science. Most players will start playing better in practice before they can do it front of the bigger stage of a game.

These posts are kind of batty to me - nobody really sees practice so for the most part it's just after-the-fact rationalization (some here see practice, but mostly - no).

I'm sure JB engages in a bit of it as well in his post-game. He has to say something. If you got interviewed after a test you did well on, you'd probably start saying cliches too - because it's a nice narrative and the media would want some answers and you want to give them something.

Early in the year JB said Patterson shoots the lights out randomly in some practices. (i.e. He's streaky in practice)

JB then said in one of SWCs radio show recaps that Patterson misses his first few threes most practices, then goes on a run and hits like 18-20. (i.e. Patterson makes shots in practice)

The next week in a post-game he said he can't make threes in the game or in practice and that JB himself can shoot better than Patterson. (i.e. Patterson can't make shots in practice)

I think we even had a practice report earlier in the year where Johnson/Patterson were lighting it up. I don't know. People say stuff in front of cameras...that's kind of my point is all.

Some "fans" are much too impatient and expect big things right away and when it doesn't happen, threads are written. We can all be at least a bit guilty of this at times. Sometimes it takes time to develop into the player we know the player can be, and then some. Case in point - BJ. Take note "fans." Way to go BJ!
Yeah, I think it has something to do with the current trend of all the best players leaving after a year or two. If you're not good enough to be a first rounder by your sophomore year, you're just not any good. Not my opinion, but I think that's the thought process conscious or unconscious.

That's crow? Sounds a little peacocky to me. :rolleyes:

Bet the coaches and BJ's own expectations, confidence, hard work, and willingness to learn had a little more to do with his improvement than crazy internet dissing from "fans" motivating him.

...not really sure where you were going with this... maybe re read what I wrote

I'm actually disappointed in BJ. He's ditched the headband, now the legacy of the headband is no longer being carried on...

But he has made 7 3s in the past two games. So maybe that's better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom