BJ Johnson | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

When BJ handles the ball staying low and wide, he is very effective. In this particular game against ST Frances he had TO's trying to get to the hole standing straight up which is a no no. That allows the defender to get into you without you being at full strength. Trust and believe that throughout the season he handle the ball well for his team. Improvement is in progress.

oh there's no question that he'll either be playing the 2, or 3. I just think that for him to be effective RIGHT AWAY he must play the 3, and i think the coaches will realize that. I don't see him playing the 4, with BMK, Coleman, Grant and Rakeem in the way.

Edit just saw your post. You know basketball more than I do Mr. Johnson, but i saw some frustrating moments where Bj tried to do too much (be the primary handler) and almost always lost the ball. That being said I think he really evolved from soph year, only a shooter, to junior year, adding a pullup jumper and more attempts to dribble drive, to senior year where he was able to somewhat get to the basket when he needed to. That improvement is impressive. I just don't think he's close enough to be a 2g for cuse as a freshman.

oh there's no question that he'll either be playing the 2, or 3. I just think that for him to be effective he must play the 3, and i think the coaches will realize that. I don't see him playing the 4, with BMK, Coleman, Grant and Rakeem in the way.
How many games have you seen other then the highlight posts that I post on the thread? How many workouts have you been to see of BJ with Dribbling coach? I think that the SU coaches(ALL) who have seen him play often see that ability in him to play 2-3 being a 3rd ball handler on the floor if needed. Something that they did not have this year. Just like the 2-3's coming in this year, all of them need and will continue to work on their game to get better and contribute when called upon by the coaches. He continues to get better like for instance in the CHIP, BJ handle the ball effectively against Rondae and Kirksley there best defenders without any turnovers. He played off the ball a lot this season because of his size and the fact that he was the only one that they ran plays for to come of picks to shoot.

and because they had 3 capable handlers, in Heem Justin, and Quan, but no shooters besides your son. I have no doubt that BJ will continue to get better. His offensive play in the CHIP was the xfactor. They couldn't win without a dominant performance from him, which showed the first 3 times they played the clips. His shots went down, bottom line.

I don't exactly remember BJ handling the ball very much vs. Rondae and Kirksey, nor can you take credit for his performance against Dwayne Morgan.
But i'd love to watch the full game when it comes out.

overall i'm not a hater. I just am a syracuse/lm fan who wants to bring an unbiased perspective to the board.

and because they had 3 capable handlers, in Heem Justin, and Quan, but no shooters besides your son. I have no doubt that BJ will continue to get better. His offensive play in the CHIP was the xfactor. They couldn't win without a dominant performance from him, which showed the first 3 times they played the clips. His shots went down, bottom line.

I don't exactly remember BJ handling the ball very much vs. Rondae and Kirksey, nor can you take credit for his performance against Dwayne Morgan.
But i'd love to watch the full game when it comes out.

overall i'm not a hater. I just am a syracuse/lm fan who wants to bring an unbiased perspective to the board.
Not taking it that way at all. I like getting the opinions and having conversations with my SU family. No one is more critical of BJ than me, keeping it %100. BJ will be asked to handle the rock as a 2-3 at the CUSE because that what they liked about him when they saw him this past summer with TF and in the Nike Skills Camp. With LM, he did not need to handle the ball as much but did when needed because their offense was predicated on driving and kicking to a vast degree. In all games this year, BJ because of his ability to handle the ball made it difficult for teams to match up their 4 with him. A lot of teams tried using smaller players to try to get under him/into him with no luck for the most part. He was able to go by them or shoot over them. In both the games mentioned he was able to get pass defenders at will. He average better than 23pts a game against non-league and nationally ranked opponents. He only played about 18mpg against league competition because they blew everyone out thus giving him a modest 17pt average. BJ' s got a handle on it (no pun intended) " You Gonna Learn Today" in my Kevin Hart voice.

CHAMPS PARADE A SUCCESS. HOPEFULLY ITS CONTAGIOUS AT SUball!
parade 3.jpg

OG... odd question but how big are BJ's hands? More pointedly, can he palm the ball securely enough to attack the rim one handed in traffic?

Watched a few more of his higlights last night and saw him dunk one handed on breaks but 2 handed in traffic. Obviously 2 handed is the best way to control while going up but curious how he'll cope with defenders raking his off arm as he attacks the rim.

Also, great job teaching him technique on his jump shot. Noticed the important things that he does exceptionally well which are: A) straight up (90 degrees from the floor) and building through the legs for lift B) release point at his highest point, directly above his head, before he starts to come back down and C) rotation on his jump shots and follow through. It's tough to see ball rotation on the youtube clips but the way the ball falls through the net causing barely any movement is a thing of beauty.

We've had scorers in the past that had a bit of that odd side rotation which worked for them but when they missed it would hit heavy on the iron and take odd angle rebounds. I would assume when BJ does miss his shots come straight off the rim, or front iron shots may pop up and still fall through?

OG... odd question but how big are BJ's hands? More pointedly, can he palm the ball securely enough to attack the rim one handed in traffic?

Watched a few more of his higlights last night and saw him dunk one handed on breaks but 2 handed in traffic. Obviously 2 handed is the best way to control while going up but curious how he'll cope with defenders raking his off arm as he attacks the rim.
He can palm the ball with either hand. By busting the hell out of the defender about the head and shoulders with his off forearm creating contact allowing him to finish and getting fouled. If you watched some other highlights he has one handed dunks in traffic as well.
bj vs St Frances 12.27.12.jpg

For those of you that want their BJ fix (that sounds wrong, but i'm going to run with it)
Full game of LM's championship win over Chester!

What were his stats this game?

For those of you that want their BJ fix (that sounds wrong, but i'm going to run with it)

Two great parts towards the end, when they give out awards and crowd goes absolutely NUTS when they announce Lower Merion and again when they announce BJ's name. Then he goes towards the stands and his classmates, holding up trophy right in front of the student body. Definitely a few kids from the stands got close enough to touch the trophy. Great find, thanks!

awesome find Solitude. Great video if you Cuse fans want to see the best of BJ Johnson. It'll definitely make you optimistic. His shots fell and he really meant alot to the team specifically in that game. That could have been the best game i'd seen him play in his 3 years. I also invite those that don't want to be bothered watching it all, to watch the 1st quarter of the game at least. If I recall, after the team went down 6-0, BJ hit some big shots to get them back into the game.

Edit: love rewatching the game. Whoever did the vid did a great job. BJ has 8 pts and almost had a nice putback. After 1st quarter. BJ did dunk at the 30 min mark.

I also said BJ wasn't in too many 1 on 1 situations with Rondae but at the 37:25 mark, BJ makes a nice move against Rondae for 2

Watched the game against St. Frances recently. We all know what BJ can do offensively, but what I liked the most was how he stepped up defensively late and wasn't afraid to get physical with the B-More boys when they tried to get tough. He grabbed some big rebounds, had a few blocks, and made things difficult for Dwayne Morgan, who is ranked top 20 in the 2014 class. He also went 6-6 from the line to close things out and was 9-10 overall. BJ has a very good overall game and will bring some versatility to SU, being able to play multiple positions. The areas of improvement moving forward(Bobby, I'm sure you guys are working on this) is gaining strength and tightening up the handle.

Watched the game against St. Frances recently. We all know what BJ can do offensively, but what I liked the most was how he stepped up defensively late and wasn't afraid to get physical with the B-More boys when they tried to get tough. He grabbed some big rebounds, had a few blocks, and made things difficult for Dwayne Morgan, who is ranked top 20 in the 2014 class. He also went 6-6 from the line to close things out and was 9-10 overall. BJ has a very good overall game and will bring some versatility to SU, being able to play multiple positions. The areas of improvement moving forward(Bobby, I'm sure you guys are working on this) is gaining strength and tightening up the handle.
Exactly, he continues to work on this things. At the rate he is working I believe that he will be around 195-200pds when he gets to the CUSE. I have definitely notice his increase in muscle/size. when he stays low with his handle he can really handle like a guard with the abilities to create offense for himself and others.

I would love to see a lineup of:
Gbinije-PG
BJ-SG
CJ-F
Jermie-F
Baye-C
I know we won't see it a lot, if any, but just the prospect of running out a zone that goes 6'7, 6'7, 6'8, 6'8, 6'10 makes me giddy!!! I'm ready for next season now!!

I would love to see a lineup of:
Gbinije-PG
BJ-SG
CJ-F
Jermie-F
Baye-C
I know we won't see it a lot, if any, but just the prospect of running out a zone that goes 6'7, 6'7, 6'8, 6'8, 6'10 makes me giddy!!! I'm ready for next season now!!
I think if Patterson in not ready to back up the point we will see that lone up. Not heavy minutes but 5-10/ game

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom