Bo Ryan retires ... effective immediately | Syracusefan.com

Bo Ryan retires ... effective immediately

Not a big Bo fan at all but definitely hope his health is okay and it's just one of those "We suck and I'm too old to deal with it" situations.

Might be a year too late for them to get Shaka Smart but wouldn't be surprised at all if Tony Bennett leaves Virginia for the job.

I'm a big Tony Bennett fan, and there definitely is a family connection to the school and area. I would still be surprised just because he has done so well at UVA. It would be a lateral move unless for personal reasons.

Makes me think about JB's eventual, retirement presser statement.

"I don't know half of you, half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you, half as well as you deserve..."

Reactions: MGP
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-16

- Bo Ryan announced his retirement suddenly on Tuesday night.
Ryan has always looked out for his assistants and has wanted Greg Gard to take over for him, although AD Barry Alvarez reportedly isn’t on board. Ryan said he would have stepped down before the season, but Gard’s father was battling cancer, so Ryan kept going to let his assistant handle that.

Gard’s father passed away in October. With the semester ending, Ryan decided that Tuesday was the right time to give Gard a chance to win the full-time job.

“I wanted to give Coach Gard plenty of time to get the guys ready and get them into the position where, as a head coach, he has a chance to take a run at the job," Ryan said. "That’s the way this business is. Coach Gard will have that chance.”

JB better not step down 10 games into a season. I'm good with him not making an advance announcement if that's the way he wants to handle it, but do it in a way that works to Hop's advantage.

Well, he FINALLY beat Boeheim, was never going to do anything better than that this season - might as well go out on top.
:D

Hope he is healthy and enjoys a long and happy retirement. I won't miss his post game whining and excuse-making however.

Newsflash - This is likely to happen to our program within the next two years.

Remember in 2001 when you said Syracuse was too talented for Miami to handle before losing 59-0?

Good times...

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-16

- Bo Ryan announced his retirement suddenly on Tuesday night.
Ryan has always looked out for his assistants and has wanted Greg Gard to take over for him, although AD Barry Alvarez reportedly isn’t on board. Ryan said he would have stepped down before the season, but Gard’s father was battling cancer, so Ryan kept going to let his assistant handle that.

Gard’s father passed away in October. With the semester ending, Ryan decided that Tuesday was the right time to give Gard a chance to win the full-time job.

“I wanted to give Coach Gard plenty of time to get the guys ready and get them into the position where, as a head coach, he has a chance to take a run at the job," Ryan said. "That’s the way this business is. Coach Gard will have that chance.”
This is what I thought he was doing. I didn't know about the assistant's father having cancer. But, I thought Bo would do what Bobby Knight did a few years back in order to give his son a good shot at being the head coach. Stepping down during the season means that, in this case, Coach Gard will have the chance to coach this team for the rest of the year and try to impress the AD.

Won 72 percent of his games in the BiG. 7 BiG titles. Only won less than 10 games once. He doesn't get nearly the credit Izzo gets, but he was just as good, just didn't get the title last year.

Hope he is healthy and enjoys a long and happy retirement. I won't miss his post game whining and excuse-making however.

I agree with your first sentence totally. His post game whining and excuse making is what really turned me off about him. It wasn't just after the Duke game either - multiple games.