Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about JB not planning this and would never do this to Hop. All these theories and motives about JB that he would do anything to stay on seem to belie the fact that he is a loyal guy to those who have been loyal to him and is a Syracuse guy through and through who would never do anything intentional to harm the program. It simply could be that Mike was indeed going to take over next year and got an offer he could not refuse. And for the stability of the program JB agreed to stay on and I'm sure enthusiastically so as indicated. This allows Mike to make his own way, JB to go out on his own terms and get the program back on the right track before passing the reigns to a new coach. Seems to be a win-win for all involved. As always the proof will be in the results the next several years. As an SU fan I'll be rooting for both JB and Hop to succeed.

I was told this morning that he still wanted to get closer to "home" and his aging parents. Uhhh I get that. That is part of why I moved to AZ several years ago...This gets him close enough that maybe they can fly up and see him, or see him at the 2 LA games, and he can use those games to check in on them...It was the right opportunity, nothing more..

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim and his alma mater, Syracuse University, have agreed on a new contract that will lengthen his successful head-coaching tenure beyond the 2017-18 season.

The extension of the veteran coach's contract came about as head-coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins was hired to lead the program at Washington. Syracuse moved promptly to maintain stability in its program by negotiating the new deal with Boeheim, who had planned to step down following the conclusion of the next season.

"Mike accepting the position at Washington has put us in a unique position," said John Wildhack, Syracuse Director of Athletics. "The circumstances are different now than they were when he was named head-coach-in-waiting.

"After discussing it with Chancellor Syverud, we believe the best decision for the student-athletes currently in the program and those who are committed to attending the University is to extend Coach Boeheim's contract. Jim has enthusiastically agreed.

"Mike received a great opportunity and we thank him and wish him the best," said Boeheim. "I'm happy to stay on to help the program and to continue the staff's devotion to success."

"The Syracuse basketball program was built on the concept of family and that remains intact with Coach Boeheim agreeing to this contract extension," said John Wildhack. "Having experienced assistant coaches like Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara on the staff helps us maintain the elite standing the program has earned."

Autry and McNamara, both standout performers at Syracuse, have been assistant coaches under Boeheim since the 2011-12 campaign.

"I have no doubt this remarkable run of college basketball success at Syracuse under Coach Boeheim is positioned to continue," said Wildhack.

In addition, the University has announced the promotion of Autry to the position of associate head coach.

As predictable as this board and myself getting upset about the first time the zone gets torched next season. The minute Hopkins left this was inevitable. Good job by all sides now get this recruiting kicked into gear and get back in the NCAA tourney where we freakin belong.

I agree about JB not planning this and would never do this to Hop. All these theories and motives about JB that he would do anything to stay on seem to belie the fact that he is a loyal guy to those who have been loyal to him and is a Syracuse guy through and through who would never do anything intentional to harm the program. It simply could be that Mike was indeed going to take over next year and got an offer he could not refuse. And for the stability of the program JB agreed to stay on and I'm sure enthusiastically so as indicated. This allows Mike to make his own way, JB to go out on his own terms and get the program back on the right track before passing the reigns to a new coach. Seems to be a win-win for all involved. As always the proof will be in the results the next several years. As an SU fan I'll be rooting for both JB and Hop to succeed.
This analysis makes the most sense to me of anything else I have read, or have been able to come up with myself.

Not even close to the same thing. I was at Syracuse then. Jb was the master tactician. He ran the practices. He was the lead recruiter. He got guys to come to Syracuse. So far, G-mac has been shut out as a recruiter. G-mac hasn't lit it up in any area of being an ass't. JB was a success at every area.

Shut out? He got moyer i believe.

Not even close to the same thing. I was at Syracuse then. Jb was the master tactician. He ran the practices. He was the lead recruiter. He got guys to come to Syracuse. So far, G-mac has been shut out as a recruiter. G-mac hasn't lit it up in any area of being an ass't. JB was a success at every area.

Gerry was pretty close to landing Green. Evidently some things happened. No shame is losing out to Kentucky either.

Gerry was pretty close to landing Green. Evidently some things happened. No shame is losing out to Kentucky either.
No. there isn't. but it is a results oriented business. He didn't get the job done at the end of the day. He should have wrapped it up earlier. Before Kentucky got desperate.

I am puzzled by this. I would think that McNamara would be a great recruiter and that the younger kids would love him.

There were a ton of factors Gerry couldn't control, some that have been brought up (mostly on the recruiting board), some that have not been brought up... Unfortunately, you know what they say about being "pretty close?" Nothin'... The real issue I have was we didn't have a backup plan...

I can see it now:

"March 19th, 2027 - Syracuse and Coach Jim Boeheim agree on a 10 year extension through 2037, with a mutual option for 2038. Boeheim will be 92 when his contract expires in 2037.
Don't kid, the leader of the 7th largest company in the US is 86 years old. His 2nd in command is 93.

Warren Buffett often talks about how some of his best mangers are some of his most "seasoned" including one that was managing a multi billion dollar business after age 100. Rose Blumkin - Nebraska Furniture Mart.

I am puzzled by this. I would think that McNamara would be a great recruiter and that the younger kids would love him.

The guy's he's recruiting were what, 4 when he was a freshman and 8 when he was a senior? Not sure how relevant being "GMAC" is right now... Just my two cents...

BREAKING: Eric Devendorf promoted and named coach-in-waiting.
Can't wait for the press conference...

12406699-mmmain.jpg

Wish we considered Maurice Joseph for an assistant gig before GW scooped him up.

Maybe he will grow in to it. But not so far.
I guess being a fiery, Full-hearted, feisty, talented, never-say-die College player does not necessarily translate into being an effective coach. ?? I am not in the know like many of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom