Boeheim To Receive Circle Of Honor Award | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim To Receive Circle Of Honor Award

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Jim Boeheim will be presented with the 2016 Circle of Honor Award on Sunday, June 12 at the 17th annual Coaches vs. Cancer Invitational at the Oak Hill Country Club in Rochester, N.Y.

The Circle of Honor Award is presented annually to a college coach who has shown extraordinary commitment and leadership with the Coaches vs. Cancer program's fundraising, education and promotional initiatives.

Coach Boeheim has been involved with Coaches vs. Cancer since its inception in 1993, and has helped raise millions to benefit the American Cancer Society. With his leadership and guidance, the Coaches vs. Cancer Basket Ball held annually in Syracuse, N.Y. raised over $3.2 million during the 10-year event from 2000 to 2009. This Basket Ball became a model for other successful galas nationwide. Coach Boeheim and his wife, Juli, support and attend as many new Basket Balls nationwide as possible.

"The American Cancer Society, in conjunction with the NABC, is privileged to recognize Coach Boeheim with the Circle of Honor Award for his inspirational accomplishments to the Coaches vs. Cancer program," said Scarlott K. Mueller, MPH, RN, chair of the American Cancer Society Board of Directors.

Off the court, Coach Boeheim has served as the national chairman of the Coaches vs. Cancer Council, and served as its national spokesperson. He has attended every national Coaches vs. Cancer golf tournament. Coach Boeheim has also received the prestigious Coaches vs. Cancer Champion Award.

"I consider it a great honor to receive the Coaches vs. Cancer Circle of Honor Award. Tremendous progress has been made in the fight against cancer since the American Cancer Society and the NABC first joined together. Coaches vs. Cancer is as committed as ever to finding a cure and I'm proud to be a part of that," Coach Boeheim said.

Coach Boeheim and Juli created the Boeheim Foundation, and together with the Coaches vs. Cancer program, they are committed to creating a world free from the pain and suffering of cancer.

The award ceremony coincides with the 17th Annual Coaches vs. Cancer Invitational, a two-day golf outing with prominent Division 1 NCAA basketball coaches, football coaches, and media analysts. The tournament will host 18 foursomes, and 300 attendees are expected to attend the Circle of Honor dinner reception.

Funds raised from this event will benefit the American Cancer Society in direct support of cancer research being conducted at the University of Rochester and the James P. Wilmot Cancer Institute in honor of the Boeheim Foundation.

Notable guests participating in the two-day invitational and ceremony include Jim Boeheim (Syracuse); Gerry McNamara (Syracuse); Mike Hopkins (Syracuse); Steve Lappas (CBS Sports); Sean McDonough (ESPN); Seth Greenberg (ESPN); Bill Raftery (CBS Sports); Joe Lunardi (ESPN); Jay Wright (Villanova); Phil Martelli (St Joes); Mike Dunleavy (Tulane); Mark Schmidt (St. Bonaventure); Jim Harrick (UGA, UCLA, retired); Jim Baron (Canisius); Ron Hunter (GA State); Tubby Smith (Memphis); Frank Beamer (VA Tech, retired); Jim Calhoun (UConn, retired); Bobby Cremins (GA Tech, College of Charleston, retired); Ben Howland (former Pittsburgh and UCLA); Carole Dacey-Young (VP, Sales & Marketing, CBS HealthWatch); Kip Wellman (Syracuse asst); Andy Noel (Cornell AD); Brian Earl (Cornell- Dinner only); Fran McCaffery (Iowa); Jerry Kill (Minnesota, retired); Eric Lautenbach (Nike); and Reggie Minton (NABC).

Coaches vs Cancer is a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. This initiative leverages the personal experiences, community leadership, and professional excellence of coaches nationwide to increase cancer awareness and promote healthy living through year-round awareness efforts, fundraising activities, and advocacy programs. Since 1993, coaches have raised more than $100 million for the American Cancer Society.

http://cuse.com/news/2016/6/8/BoeheimCircleAward6816.aspx

Why does the twit, Joe Lunardi, belong in the notables listing? He comes off as a real lightweight compared with the rest.

Why does the twit, Joe Lunardi, belong in the notables listing? He comes off as a real lightweight compared with the rest.

Well Martelli will be there, so I am assuming wherever he goes, Lunardi must follow.

Thanks for finding that video. I was there at Oak Hill two weeks ago. It was a fabulous evening ... with lots of love expressed ... not only on the video...but also by those who spoke at the dinner. And it turned into quite the after-party. A lot of folks (I won't name names) were still going strong when I left at 2 a.m. And I left only because my right foot was throbbing from having worn high heels (for nine hours!) for the first time since I had broken my ankle nine months earlier.

Last edited:
This brings up a fun anecdote that I don't think I've shared here but I think is in-bounds. I worked for the American Cancer Society (that's where Coaches vs Cancer lives) for a few years in their marketing/marketing research group. We were doing some work with the CvC folks that included a number of engagements with coaches during final four weekend in Atlanta a few years back (coaches convention is always that weekend so most would be in town). I'd be doing interviews with coaches about the program, asking about their specific communities and how we could be better aligned with what they needed, etc. we were also scheduled to record a number of PSAs. I got the word that JB was on the schedule and I was in heaven. Then the team kept winning and I had a Sophie's Choice situation. If we lost the elite 8 game, things would go as scheduled. If we won, he would obviously be at a different hotel and booked with team/ff commitments and I'd miss my chance to work with him. Obviously, the rest is history and it never happened, but that's certainly a fair trade off. Was still the best work assignment I've ever had, spending 2 days having pretty deep talks with incredible guys. For what it's worth, Calhoun, Cooley, Kruger and Fran Frischilla all blew me away. I know we're not supposed to say that about Calhoun but he was all around fantastic to work with.

This brings up a fun anecdote that I don't think I've shared here but I think is in-bounds. I worked for the American Cancer Society (that's where Coaches vs Cancer lives) for a few years in their marketing/marketing research group. We were doing some work with the CvC folks that included a number of engagements with coaches during final four weekend in Atlanta a few years back (coaches convention is always that weekend so most would be in town). I'd be doing interviews with coaches about the program, asking about their specific communities and how we could be better aligned with what they needed, etc. we were also scheduled to record a number of PSAs. I got the word that JB was on the schedule and I was in heaven. Then the team kept winning and I had a Sophie's Choice situation. If we lost the elite 8 game, things would go as scheduled. If we won, he would obviously be at a different hotel and booked with team/ff commitments and I'd miss my chance to work with him. Obviously, the rest is history and it never happened, but that's certainly a fair trade off. Was still the best work assignment I've ever had, spending 2 days having pretty deep talks with incredible guys. For what it's worth, Calhoun, Cooley, Kruger and Fran Frischilla all blew me away. I know we're not supposed to say that about Calhoun but he was all around fantastic to work with.

Guess you can see how Jay Bilas got confused...
;)

I know Jim Calhoun pretty well (I've worked on charity events with him and his wife here in CT), and I like him on a personal level. He was one of the coaches at Oak Hill to honor JB two weeks ago and was very gracious in all he had to say.

I had previously last chatted with him in Houston at the Final Four, and he was very publicly cheering for SU and JB. When Jim Calhoun was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago, JB was the first person he called for advice ... and he frequently cites how generous JB was with his time and advice in helping him though his diagnosis and treatment options.

Last edited:
After 40 years or so it's easy to lose sight of just how incredibly fortunate Syracuse has been to have JB at the helm of our program. As is often the case, people at the top of their profession can be the target of criticism by the small people who for a variety of motivations feel compelled to take shots at the person at the top. Let there be no mistake, Jim Boeheim has contributed to Syracuse University, College Basketball, The American Cancer Society, and a myriad of other charities on a level which is unequaled and will likely never be surpassed. Particularly telling is the manner in which coach K stresses that JB is " even a better person" over and above the fact of his monumental accomplishments on the basketball court. As much as JB has proved himself to be a coaching prodigy and a defensive genius it is through hard work and an incredible dedication to his alma mater that he has set a standard for coaching that is nothing short of remarkable. For me, it's impossible to actually imagine what it will be like when he finally steps down since Jim Boeheim and Syracuse Basketball are essentially synonymous. We have truly been fortunate to have had him provide the excellence and stability that no other schools have had over the past 40 years. Thank you JB!

Would have loved to have seen Calhoun's face after watching the Bilas bit
I know Jim Calhoun pretty well (I've worked on charity events with him and his wife here in CT), and I like him on a personal level. He was one of the coaches at Oak Hill to honor JB two weeks ago and was very gracious in all he had to say.

I had previously chatted with him in Houston at the Final Four, and he was very publicly cheering for SU and JB. When Jim Calhoun was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago, JB was the first person he called for advice ... and he frequently cites how generous JB was with his time and advice in helping him though his diagnosis and treatment options.

Last edited:
Very nice. Hard to dislike K after watching that.
I'm a big fan of Coach K. Folks might have their reasons for not liking him or a Calhoun, Wright, etc.- but I've never quite understood why they'd extrapolate that dislike, onto their coaching.
Coach K is argurably the best coach in NCAA history. How that can even be in doubt is beyond me.

Only thing missing in the video was pictures from the night he won game 900 - (eat it NCAA).

Very nice. Hard to dislike K after watching that.

Gee, I don't know. When he didn't shake our player's had when he lost at home it still bothers me. Amazing!

Gee, I don't know. When he didn't shake our player's had when he lost at home it still bothers me. Amazing!
Good point. God bless America. He definitely came across as a douchebag that day. However, apart from a few of those moments, he seems to be a good man and a great friend to JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom