Boeheim's basketball IQ | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's basketball IQ

Eric15

Living Legend
I'm watching St. Johns/Georgetown from the 1985 Final Four on MASN (in the DC area). Billy Packer said while calling the game: "I was talking to Jimmy Boeheim today, and obviously he would know these teams better than anyone, and he said that he doesn't think St. Johns can beat this Georgetown team, but he thinks Villanova certainly can."

Man, what a prediction.

I'm watching St. Johns/Georgetown from the 1985 Final Four on MASN (in the DC area). Billy Packer said while calling the game: "I was talking to Jimmy Boeheim today, and obviously he would know these teams better than anyone, and he said that he doesn't think St. Johns can beat this Georgetown team, but he thinks Villanova certainly can."

Man, what a prediction.
Funny, I was watching MASN too. I was at the 1985 Final Four, an unbelievable final game. My friend saw JB at the coaches convention and team practices and asked if he'd wait until he found me for a picture. JB waited 30 minutes and I have a picture of JB, me and my six week old son (who is 31 tomorrow.) I thought that was very kind of coach to do that.

JB would make a great analyst after his coaching career ends,. His breakdown and picks at NCAA tournament time are uncannily good. He has such an analytical mind and deep understanding of the game.

JB would make a great analyst after his coaching career ends,. His breakdown and picks at NCAA tournament time are uncannily good. He has such an analytical mind and deep understanding of the game.
I agree. When Tony Kornheiser was working at the Washington Post he wrote a column about the selections and always asked JB who would win. More often than not JB would pick the winner. Notably, he declined to pick one in 2003, and it was not missed by Kornheiser.

Man, what a prediction.
I will give you one from his first year. before we played Tenn in the NCAA tournament, Jb said that if Bernie and Ernie scored 50 pts or more, we would lose but if we held them beneath that we would probaby win. they scored 49 and we won in ot. If they scored one more pt ...

JB is a bball genius who sees things that nobody else catches, adds them to his unparalleled bball memory, and then makes decisions, or in the case of the Olympic teams, recommendations to K (who is no dummy and has JB on staff for that reason).

JB is a basketball genius, the Steven Hawking of basketball. I believe that. As smart as he is with the sport I'm not sure he carries that knowledge to the NBA draft. He's made some comments through the years that had me scratching my head.

JB is a basketball genius, the Steven Hawking of basketball. I believe that. As smart as he is with the sport I'm not sure he carries that knowledge to the NBA draft. He's made some comments through the years that had me scratching my head.

He says weird things sometimes. I think he's prone to make the more outlandish comments when he's talking about things or people in which he's got a personal interest (like the Otto Porter line after Georgetown beat us). When he's making detached basketball observations, his perception shines through in a way that's almost startling. There are occasional brilliant nuggets in SWC's radio recaps.

I would pay to listen to Boeheim's basketball commentary if I knew he planned to stick to his candid and unbiased takes. It'd be like Bob Knight's brief ESPN tenure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom