Boston College --last 10 years | Syracusefan.com

Boston College --last 10 years

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
BC's last ten years are below. This is our peer group. WE should accept nothing less than this performance. A few down years immediately followed by an upswing. They have crappy facilities, mediocre recruiting and private university issues with funding, etc.

2004Big East Conference9–3 4–2**
2005Atlantic Coast Conference9–3 5–3
2006Atlantic Coast Conference10–3 5–3
2007Atlantic Coast Conference11–3 6–2 #
2008Atlantic Coast Conference9–5 5–3 #
2009Atlantic Coast Conference8–5 5–3
2010Atlantic Coast Conference7–6 4–4
2011Atlantic Coast Conference4–8 3–5
2012Atlantic Coast Conference2-10 1-7
2013Atlantic Coast Conference7–6 4–4

BC's last ten years are below. This is our peer group. WE should accept nothing less than this performance. A few down years immediately followed by an upswing. They have crappy facilities, mediocre recruiting and private university issues with funding, etc.

are you sure about the facilities? Yawkey center was built in 2005, 30 million. Really nice facility. Not saying they have great facilities but they upgraded about the time we needed to. The timing was perfect. Probably be 35-40 mil now, don't see that getting thrown up anytime soon, string of great O lineman, linebackers and Matt Ice doesn't hurt either, only mistake they made were the Spaz years, Shafer hire could turn out to be equivalent to spaz hire I don't know.

I agree with the basis of your post though

There was a stretch [during the Matt Ryan timeframe] when they were winning / contending for ACC conference title and going to good bowls.

are you sure about the facilities? Yawkey center was built in 2005, 30 million. Really nice facility. Not saying they have great facilities but they upgraded about the time we needed to. The timing was perfect. Probably be 35-40 mil now, don't see that getting thrown up anytime soon, string of great O lineman, linebackers and Matt Ice doesn't hurt either, only mistake they made were the Spaz years, Shafer hire could turn out to be equivalent to spaz hire I don't know.

The Yawkey Center is offices, meeting rooms, etc. No big deal. BC still uses a tent for a practice facility.

all for comparing to them but not emulating them. rainy boston vs dry dome changes the type of offense you can run

my point is they did make a mistake and fixed it within 3-4 years. They have had more revolving coaches than we have over 20 years (if we want to go out further) and seem to always right the wrong quicker than us even though we pretend to be the better program (which we probably are over a 50 year cycle).

I mean they fired Jags after he had them as a top 3 team in the country b/c he was lying about interviewing for NFL jobs, hired the D coordinator and then fixed that wrong. It sounds familiar in some ways no?

I just want Syracuse to get back to that 9 win level where we can beat a USC type team (like BC did). It can happen and should happen. I am like Rocco, very fed up with this program top to bottom and just want to see us turn that corner. 7-6 isn't turning a corner. It's becoming mediocre vs historically awful (and bottom power conference team).

Please, lets aim higher than boston college.

Did you not read the original post here? Honestly, I'd kill to have their program profile. Look at their W/L. They've had two guys in the last decade - Matty Ice and A Williams - who were national stage type players. SU hasn't had that in a long long time.

and oh I forgot, they weathered a GAMBLING SCANDAL in the mid 90s when we were peaking. Judging from how we handle adversity, that issue would have sent us into a Colgate football trajectory for sure.

There was a stretch [during the Matt Ryan timeframe] when they were winning / contending for ACC conference title and going to good bowls.

Matty Ice never hurts.
The Yawkey Center is offices, meeting rooms, etc. No big deal. BC still uses a tent for a practice facility.

Weights and Locker room upgrades too

BC took full advantage of having a great QB at the same time FSU and Clemson were struggling in the ACC.

At the same time we responded to being in an eminently winnable Big East by vomiting all over ourselves. Repeatedly.

Did you not read the original post here? Honestly, I'd kill to have their program profile. Look at their W/L. They've had two guys in the last decade - Matty Ice and A Williams - who were national stage type players. SU hasn't had that in a long long time.

I've seen Syracuse play Boston College 7 times. We won 6 of them.

When I lived in Boston in the 2000's I went to probably 15 BC games just because there would be corporate tailgates and it was something to do. The fans are terrible, they get no support outside of the egotistical alumni base who all have a chip on their shoulder that they didn't get in to Notre Dame. Atmostpher at the games is terrible. Your only options for after are Mary Ann's which is a charmless shitehole or to go into the city where via dilution there is no one to celebrate the win with (if they actually win).

We have more history, better local support, and should have a higher ceiling than Boston College.

So I repeat let's aim a little higher.

When I lived in Boston in the 2000's I went to probably 15 BC games just because there would be corporate tailgates and it was something to do. The fans are terrible, they get no support outside of the egotistical alumni base who all have a chip on their shoulder that they didn't get in to Notre Dame. Atmostpher at the games is terrible. Your only options for after are Mary Ann's which is a charmless shitehole or to go into the city where via dilution there is no one to celebrate the win with (if they actually win).

We have more history, better local support, and should have a higher ceiling than Boston College.

BC has played for more ACC titles than Miami, and as many as Clemson. Division strength aside- I'll gladly take Syracuse being at that level.

well our ceiling for local support is higher...i suspect that the next couple of years we will not be displaying much local support for football

I was a season ticket holder for BC for many years. I think your perception of BC fans is very broad stroked and stereotypical.

The fans are typical Boston fans. I'm one of those guys who happened to go to Syracuse. We are obnoxious, cynical, sarcastic, etc. I think the atmosphere at BC games is unique actually. It's a nice place to go see D1 football. It's better than pretty much any other Northeastern venue (Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Maryland).

well our ceiling for local support is higher...i suspect that the next couple of years we will not be displaying much local support for football

Absolutely is. It's the ONLY show in town in Syracuse. Boston is a pro town. I'm just talking about the team's ability to be successful not it's place in the Boston sports hierarchy (which is Patriots 1-10 and then everything else these days).

We talk about all these great things we have but we don't have a great or good football team. We need to figure out why. It's 10 years now with Dr. Gross. He needs to look in the mirror as well. For all we lament Jake, the guy ran an AD that had many years of successful football. I have no doubt in my mind that he would have figured out ONE way to get us a top 25 season in the past 10 years. Guy was old and smoked a ton of cigs (i personally had issues with him during my time in the athletic dept) but he was smart as hell.

They were #2 in the country at one point in Matt Ryan's senior year

Let's win 10 or even 9 games before you dismiss them like that. They've been a very good program and are definitely something we should shoot for.

I was a season ticket holder for BC for many years. I think your perception of BC fans is very broad stroked and stereotypical.

The fans are typical Boston fans. I'm one of those guys who happened to go to Syracuse. We are obnoxious, cynical, sarcastic, etc. I think the atmosphere at BC games is unique actually. It's a nice place to go see D1 football. It's better than pretty much any other Northeastern venue (Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Maryland).

Absolutely is. It's the ONLY show in town in Syracuse. Boston is a pro town. I'm just talking about the team's ability to be successful not it's place in the Boston sports hierarchy (which is Patriots 1-10 and then everything else these days).

We talk about all these great things we have but we don't have a great or good football team. We need to figure out why. It's 10 years now with Dr. Gross. He needs to look in the mirror as well. For all we lament Jake, the guy ran an AD that had many years of successful football. I have no doubt in my mind that he would have figured out ONE way to get us a top 25 season in the past 10 years. Guy was old and smoked a ton of cigs (i personally had issues with him during my time in the athletic dept) but he was smart as hell.

I agree with the second part of what you said.

I just want to be better than Boston college, in every way. I am so not impressed with them and I don't think they are viewed with any respect - they are the guys who got lucky for a couple years when Fl State was down.

I do think Adazzio seems to be doing a slightly better job than Shafer and co. It's obvious they've been better than we have the past 10 years. I just think we can and should be better than BC over the long-term.

When it comes to my evaluation of the fans, students, and game day environment - I stand by it. I worked with so many guys from BC - they were unlikable to anyone but other people who went to BC or their buddies from catholic high school who went to UMASS. Luke Russert. The girls tend to be prudish, light on personality, and not that cute, and just want to land some guy with an inherited house somewhere on the cape who wears Nantucket reds year-round.

Syracuse in the 90's was a million times more exciting then being at a BC game ever was or ever will be.

Last edited:

i noted BC specifically the other day talking about expectations and accountability, and our natural peer group. Small, NE, private. They generally don't overreach in the non-conference (ND aside) schedule (like USC this year) which helps the overall record and perception. If we played UMass, or URI (heck we used to play Holy Cross back in my day) we too would have a more appealing overall record. No reason we can't at least equal numbers like this.

elimunelson said:
my point is they did make a mistake and fixed it within 3-4 years. They have had more revolving coaches than we have over 20 years (if we want to go out further) and seem to always right the wrong quicker than us even though we pretend to be the better program (which we probably are over a 50 year cycle).

I mean they fired Jags after he had them as a top 3 team in the country b/c he was lying about interviewing for NFL jobs, hired the D coordinator and then fixed that wrong. It sounds familiar in some ways no?

I just want Syracuse to get back to that 9 win level where we can beat a USC type team (like BC did). It can happen and should happen. I am like Rocco, very fed up with this program top to bottom and just want to see us turn that corner. 7-6 isn't turning a corner. It's becoming mediocre vs historically awful (and bottom power conference team).

BC seems like us in the 90's. Go out and beat USC and then lose to a mid major the next week.

When it comes to my evaluation of the fans, students, and game day environment - I stand by it. I worked with so many guys from BC - they were unlikable to anyone but other people who went to BC or their buddies from catholic high school who went to UMASS. Luke Russert. The girls tend to be prudish, light on personality, and not that cute, and just want to land some guy with an inherited house somewhere on the cape who wears Nantucket reds year-round.

Oy vey.

I grew up in Mass., my best friend's father was the VP of Student Affairs at BC for years, and I spent a ton of time on the BC campus as a kid. I know a lot of BC alums and work with many more.

They're fine.

Do we want to stereotype SU alums next? Because, believe me, it's worse than what you just flung out there about BC.

And please keep missing the point that the original post was making. It's fun to watch. "WE should accept nothing less than this performance". Keep reading that over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom