Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

1, it's not a problem.

2, the value you mention was artificially capped.

3, we're not talking about perceived value when people are shelling out real money to the student-athletes for NIL. That's actual value.

The NCAA essentially robbed kids of a legitimate source of income for a century.

This has been a needed correction. Fans not having the emotional maturity to handle it isn't a problem.

Any student-athlete receiving any NIL funds > any anxiety a fan feels because they feel weird about it.

Then call it what it is, professional sports. Make a minor league. No education included.

It's stupid to not allow them to make money while colleges are making boat loads of money off of them
Is it a perfect system, no but it's what we have and gets money to kids that deserve it
What's really stupid is the boat loads of money the colleges began making off of student athletes.

Some fans demanded those things. Some warned of the consequences while knowing it was inevitable.
And some ran to it with arms wide open because what's better for the student-athletes that have historically been criminally wronged is more important than fans not liking something good for them.

We live in a capitalistic society. It really isn't up to you are me to say what is the right way. You can earn this much but not that much. And let's face it, there was a lot of paying kids to go play at your school long before NIL. It's just out in the open more now.

What does paying a kid $200,000 to come play for your school have to do with name, image and likeness? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What does paying a kid $200,000 to come play for your school have to do with name, image and likeness? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
That depends on what his Name, image and likeness is used for. I have thought that if I bought a radio station in Syracuse, I would make it all sports and pay a million a year to a kid to make weekly appearances on one of my shows. That would cover NIL, wouldn't it?

$42,622,806 that's what Syracuse Football made. Players don't have to pay the overinflated rate of $82,500 to go to school times that by 85 the school is "out" $7,012,500. That's a pretty nice investment the school made.
These are not normal students, they sacrifice their bodies to allow the schools to make money on top of money. Why does them getting free tuition have anything to do with them making money off of themselves? Should students with Youtube channels not get paid? Should students that work not get paid?
I've never said they are selflessly running out on the field and yes schools are extorting them for free tuition. "You come play football here, we give you free tuition. In turn we will make 6-8 times what we "paid" you in tuition cost"

Let the damn kids earn money like anyone else.
BTW, the room and board is taxable.

One aspect I feel is getting lost in all of this is the potential rise of two Spring leagues currently in the United States; could the XFL and USFL factor into all of this insofar as seeing players with a couple of years of eligibility left go straight to these options if they’re lucrative enough eventually?

What I will say is this; I understand many of these players not necessarily taking their education (maximum credits transferring, going to the NFL before graduating etc) first. I settled with a community college education and though it has worked for me, I do regret not going further.

What’s the saying, youth is wasted on the young?

Why even bother investing in recruiting anymore? Save that money for the guys that enter the portal , and then offer them the NIL deal. Seems legit

Instituted what? What are you talking about OP? NIL is a concept, one that was "owned" by the NCAA of its participants for over 100 years. The Supreme Court said "nope, you don't own someone's name, image or likeness". Only they can own it.
Some on this board don't get it and never will.

They think the NCAA is in charge of the 1 and done rule despite it being explained over and over again

Not exactly. Without fans there are no college sports. Again, I have no problem with NIL done the right way and the way it was intended. Selling merchandise, autograph sessions, doing a sports camp, and the like is 100% name, image and likeness. Paying a player $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000 or in some cases $1,000,000 has nothing to do with name, image and likeness. It’s paying them to come play for your school.
Stop watching then.

Based on the TV deals, you are in the minority.

fwiw, I don't love it. But it is reality and its not changing. The courts made their decision

My problem with all this is this really only benefits the big time schools. Kids while earning some money are still not getting market value, while small schools are taking the brunt of loses. Alabama doesn't care if it's boosters are giving out 10 million in nil deals instead of giving it to the athletic department as long as the kids don't get a cut of the TV $

Honestly it’s crazy right now but I am glad for it in general. I’m also psyched for NCAA football coming back in 2025 on Xbox and PS. And I sure do enjoy wearing my Tucker jersey.

The portal is what’s nuts. Especially right before bowl season.
It’s so lame that we have to wait that long. It was supposed to come out this summer!

It’s so lame that we have to wait that long. It was supposed to come out this summer!
I meant 2024 but yeah it was supposed to come out this summer in 2023.

Stop watching then.

Based on the TV deals, you are in the minority.

fwiw, I don't love it. But it is reality and its not changing. The courts made their decision
The courts didn't create the system. They were not involved in anything other than saying NIL was legal based on the challenge by the NCAA. The court ruled there shouldn't be artificial limits on education based benefits. With that said I think it's a stretch to say sports are a part of education therefore students should get bags of cash to attend a school for sports.

My problem with all this is this really only benefits the big time schools. Kids while earning some money are still not getting market value, while small schools are taking the brunt of loses. Alabama doesn't care if it's boosters are giving out 10 million in nil deals instead of giving it to the athletic department as long as the kids don't get a cut of the TV $
It benefits way more than big time schools. Lots of athletes all over the place are getting compensated for who they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom