Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

Wait, wait, wait.

TWO teams offered Drake $5M to play and he didn't bounce?

This is either a lie, or UNC is paying him as much or close to it, or he has an agent floating him already or some truth in between or maybe he's scared he would get beat out by a super frosh.

Or, maybe he just really enjoys Chapel Hill... But I doubt it.

Yea it’s pretty obvious UNC must have countered in some way. But they shouldn’t have had too.

Unintended consequences of putting it before those people.
the alternative is a complete banana republic which is unfolding now.

you almost hope to be mediocre across the board with your own talent so that the mediocrity doesn't draw an incoming NIL war.

you almost hope to be mediocre across the board with your own talent so that the mediocrity doesn't draw an incoming NIL war.

Eyes should've been really opened when a pretty ok coach like Brett Bienema at a pretty ok school just inked a 6 million a year contract. Easy for the mega-schools to point all their donor money to NIL because FOX, ESPN, etc will carry the infrastructure freight.

Meanwhile at SU the AD is desperately and correctly raising 150 mil to get our facilities in order long term, meanwhile the coaches are begging for NIL funds to keep just some above average talent from bolting.

No acts of Congress there.

This surprises who; money is targeting players at all schools.

Yea it’s pretty obvious UNC must have countered in some way. But they shouldn’t have had too.
Of course, they shouldn't. But does it surprise you or anyone else that the amount of money being generated in big-time college football has caused this to happen. Boosters were throwing money around when it wasn't legal, now they are just throwing more of it around (or maybe the same amount). Five million sounds like a lot but adjusted for inflation and how much revenue the top schools can generate ($80 million plus), it's really almost considered pocket change. Unfortunately, some fan bases will never be able to keep up.

Of course, they shouldn't. But does it surprise you or anyone else that the amount of money being generated in big-time college football has caused this to happen. Boosters were throwing money around when it wasn't legal, now they are just throwing more of it around (or maybe the same amount). Five million sounds like a lot but adjusted for inflation and how much revenue the top schools can generate ($80 million plus), it's really almost considered pocket change. Unfortunately, some fan bases will never be able to keep up.

I could care less how much revenue schools generate. In this specific incidence that Narduzzi is talking about and Brown alluded too is not about NIL as much as it is tampering. The kid wasn’t in the portal. He wasn’t a free agent. He wasn’t even a recruit. Blatant tampering.

I’m just shocked the kid didn’t take the money.
This entire recruiting stuff is out of control and quite frankly just a bit too much for my liking, but take the money and run dude.

I could care less how much revenue schools generate. In this specific incidence that Narduzzi is talking about and Brown alluded too is not about NIL as much as it is tampering. The kid wasn’t in the portal. He wasn’t a free agent. He wasn’t even a recruit. Blatant tampering.
Schools have been cheating for 100 years. And the reason they are doing it is because of how much revenue is at stake. Now that kids can be paid "legally" and transfer to another school without sitting out a year, it's like an open invitation for the scum of the earth to come out of the shadows and into the forefront.

Before it was the sports agents who were the scum, now they have a lot of company.

Your take assumes two things, talent is only going to move one way and that there are unlimited nil funds out there .

immediate transfer eligibility and the 85 scholarship limit is going to spread talent out. A market will be established that SU will be able to selectively participate in, either to keep high performers on the roster or acquire a player here and there.

I think it either needs to be portal OR NIL. If you take an NIL deal, you should be locked in to that school or sit out a year if you transfer. If you want to portal for free, no NIL.

Or maybe put a cap on NIL so schools can compete with each other. Give each school a $2M limit or something. You are going to have about 5 schools in their own league and another 10-15 just behind them and then the rest of P5 teams.

This is the underbelly of NIL. Team booster amassing resources to poach quality players from other teams.

And doing so with impunity, given how poorly the "rules" don't lend themselves to enforcement.

this entire NIL/Portal game needs congressional action pronto.
I do not want government involvement. It would still be a disaster, but then you would have politicians thinking they can fix it.

I want the schools and the ncaa to step up and do the right thing. The current “system” is unsustainable, and corrupt.

To show you what we're up against, Florida State just aired a commercial during their bowl game advertising their Booster club. The proverbial bag is in the open for everyone to see.

To show you what we're up against, Florida State just aired a commercial during their bowl game advertising their Booster club. The proverbial bag is in the open for everyone to see.

A booster club is different than an NIL collective. Booster clubs have been around forever and support athletic department fundraising efforts for the schools themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom