BR: SU one of 6 college teams most likely to unionize | Syracusefan.com

BR: SU one of 6 college teams most likely to unionize

what I don't understand is why does this effect private schools and not public. In New York State if you are in the state government you have to be in a union, therefore if a kid at a state school is considered an employee he has to be in a union. I would think this ruling would effect public schools more than private.

Agree that the BR stinks and is not worth the internet bandwidth it occupies. This writer put as close to zero effort into logic and analysis as possible. I give him credit for matching the schools up with their respective states and for spelling each correctly, but beyond that, there is nothing.

OC said as much as the writer in one sentence.

Unionizing SMU and Miami will not be easy by any stretch of the imagination and they would not be likely primary targets.

A convenient fact simply overlooked is that the players at most private schools are intelligent enough to know that they do NOT want their scholarships taxed in any manner. The IRS does not play as nice as many writers are pretending by claiming that only the stipend will be taxed, good luck with that!

Not a mention of Title IX, though the writer did include hoops as the next target. Title IX will throw a monkey wrench in everything and severely impact how much money these early unionizers think they can make. Does anyone think the ladies will not want a piece of the action if there is new money on the table?

Glad BR maintains their standards of excellence in thought provoking journalism. (sarcasm off)

what I don't understand is why does this effect private schools and not public. In New York State if you are in the state government you have to be in a union, therefore if a kid at a state school is considered an employee he has to be in a union. I would think this ruling would effect public schools more than private.

that is why I think a lot of state schools would drop the redshirt year as after 5 years you then can become vested in a state pension plan...

Funny thing is, if these players unionize and are considered employees, then why hire a 18 year old kid for your University football team if your goal is to win games and generate revenue? If they are employees and not supposed to have to be students, why not hire a guy who was a stud a year ago that did not do well in the NFL to be a receiver, LB, QB on your team as the "student-athlete" thing will not apply to teammates. What about union dues, taxation, Southern states do not allow public unions, and 1000 other things that they have not considered...

This is not very well thought out by the "student athlete" as they currently stand...

Funny thing is, if these players unionize and are considered employees, then why hire a 18 year old kid for your University football team if your goal is to win games and generate revenue? If they are employees and not supposed to have to be students, why not hire a guy who was a stud a year ago that did not do well in the NFL to be a receiver, LB, QB on your team as the "student-athlete" thing will not apply to teammates. What about union dues, taxation, Southern states do not allow public unions, and 1000 other things that they have not considered...

This is not very well thought out by the "student athlete" as they currently stand...
All of these concerns, and others, are why the leaders of the Northwestern push are concentrating on issues such as medical coverage (during and after their undergrad days), and hours spent on athletic, not academic, pursuits (the NCAA 20-hour rule is a joke).

State schools are beholden only to public sector (government employee) state labor laws. Private schools are beholden to normal Federal labor laws, as well as state. That's my understanding.

All of these concerns, and others, are why the leaders of the Northwestern push are concentrating on issues such as medical coverage (during and after their undergrad days), and hours spent on athletic, not academic, pursuits (the NCAA 20-hour rule is a joke).

These issues are merely one hand distracting what the other hand is doing during the illusion. Besides, a little honesty and one will discover these kids have medical coverage while in school, probably better than most on this board. Many schools take care of permanent injuries. As for the hours spent on their athletic pursuits, the players knew what they were doing before signing up for D1 CFB and what it takes to play at that level with a shot at the pros, in exchange they get a quarter million dollar education.* I think most kids would gladly accept a job that pays $50K/year (based on 5th year senior) with benefits working 30-40 hours per week and receiving a free education. How many teenagers right out of high school make $50K/year?

I'm not anti-union, but these kids are fooling themselves if they think the union is putting out this effort because they care. The truth is big unions are big businesses and the unions need new revenues streams. If these kids do not get paid, how will the unions collect dues?

* We all know state schools are subsidized and "tuition" is much less; however, the real total expense is approximately the same as a private school per student. Add to that the fact the IRS knows this, too, and we are likely to see the actual costs at the state schools included for tax purposes.

Because the NLRB has no authority over public entities. This is not a broad ruling. So far you've got a branch office of the NLRB made a ruling that is being appealed to the national office of the NLRB. Very naive and poorly thought out by a bunch of kids who think they are smarter than they are and are being led by some greedy union lawyers. First question I ask Kain Colter is "So tell me, what sport do you currently play in college?" Oh you mean you are no longer a college athlete? Then you no longer have any interest in this situation and .
I do though think the students are mart enough to know that they really don't want a union. They want the med benefits etc. but they took a class that said using the threat of a union is a way to get what you want. I do think some positive changes for student athletes will come out of this. I don't see any viable union ever materializing from a "workforce" that completely turns over every four years.

Feel sorry for coach Fitzgerald who now has to deal with all of this BS outside of doing his job. I know our coach has a lot of compassion for what he's going through.

If a public school was the first to pursue unionization instead of Northwestern, this article would probably be titled The Six Schools Least Likely to Unionize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom