Class of 2017 - Brian Bowen from Louisville to South Carolina | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Brian Bowen from Louisville to South Carolina

I'll be honest. I was really spooked by Hopkins' short run as interim coach, though he was really put on the spot there. That was my big reservation. But I think you're right.

Yeah it could have always been better but considering the circumstances I think anyone would have had the same record.

"He's just a great guy to play for,"Michael Gbinije said of Hopkins. "He makes you want to play for him. It's unfortunate that we didn't win with him being the head coach. But that was his first time. Everybody learns, and it gets better."

I love JAB, but the general panic about 9 friggin games is so nonsensical. Think about that. The loss of Hop puts a lot of negatives into play. I think we will be alright in the end, but I am not as certain as when we had Hop in the fold. It is a shame.

Yeah, I was concerned about how detached Hop looked in those nine games. He looked very shaky but I admit it was ridiculous to judge him.

Guys, when the sanctions are relieved, I think you will see a different story. For the Ville and UNC as well if they get sanctions. We fell a bit the last time this happened as well if you recollect.
I agree. Many of our smartest, most well connected fans have contracted Chicken Little syndrome. ...We are not elite, we've lost our identity and recruiting edge, JB is a senile old bat who's fallen asleep at the wheel, blah, blah, blah... Come in off the ledge.

I'm not saying there aren't issues that need to be fixed or that the JB to Hop transition wasn't bungled (I am not happy about what went down either), but there are other ways to win in college basketball. Like this... Jay Wright went back to the drawing board and refocused his recruiting when Nova began slumping a few years back. We all know the turnaround they've had since.
https://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/new-recruiting-pitch-has-villanova-back-track?amp
Syracuse will be fine, too.

I agree. Many of our smartest, most well connected fans have contracted Chicken Little syndrome. ...We are not elite, we've lost our identity and recruiting edge, JB is a senile old bat who's fallen asleep at the wheel, blah, blah, blah... Come in off the ledge.

I'm not saying there aren't issues that need to be fixed or that the JB to Hop transition wasn't bungled (I am not happy about what went down either), but there are other ways to win in college basketball. Like this... Jay Wright went back to the drawing board and refocused his recruiting when Nova began slumping a few years back. We all know the turnaround they've had since.
https://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/new-recruiting-pitch-has-villanova-back-track?amp

So now all of a sudden JB is going to go back to the drawing board like Jay Wright and refocus? JB is going to change how he's done things all these decades? If ain't broken, don't fix it, right? 1,000 wins. Uh, it IS broken. I like the players we have gotten and have said so repeatedly, by the way, but this program is not where we expect it to be.

Really starting to feel like losing Hopkins may have been the worst thing to ever happen to our program.

We had a good recruiter, a good guy, and a Syracuse lifer ready to take over the helm.

The panic re-signing of Boeheim really pushed our program years back. We have to replace him eventually. Should have just ripped off the bandaid.
I agree with your first two paragraphs. I was ready to start the Hopkins era and thought he might even turn out to be better than JB over the long haul. I love his enthusiasm and energy and his preference for defensive and offensive flexibility. Before we ever lost him to UW I was always worried about losing him to USC or another school. I liked the succession plan and thought pulling off the Band Aid sooner rather than later made the most sense. But JB wants to stay and continue coaching and we need to get behind that--at least for now.

I dont agree with JB reinventing the program or himself for the future. If there is anybody stuck in his own ways it's JB.

So Bowen has enrolled at Lville. Isn't Lville waiting on NCAA sanctions? Is Bowen getting cleared by the NCAA questionable? It will be interesting to see if he plays.

So Bowen has enrolled at Lville. Isn't Lville waiting on NCAA sanctions? Is Bowen getting cleared by the NCAA questionable? It will be interesting to see if he plays.

He's waiting to get a tutor. :p

Last edited:
He's waiting to get a tudor. :p

upload_2017-6-2_10-2-18.jpeg

So now all of a sudden JB is going to go back to the drawing board like Jay Wright and refocus? JB is going to change how he's done things all these decades? If ain't broken, don't fix it, right? 1,000 wins. Uh, it IS broken. I like the players we have gotten and have said so repeatedly, by the way, but this program is not where we expect it to be.
I dont agree with JB reinventing the program or himself for the future. If there is anybody stuck in his own ways it's JB.

It doesn't seem you bothered to read the link I shared or to think about anything I said. JB has made changes throughout his tenure in many aspects of what Cuse does. How do you think he's managed to outlast so many other coaches and win 1000 games? I never said he would or should "reinvent" the program. Those are your words. I said shift how we do some things. Those shifts can be subtle but impactful and they happen every season and fans aren't privy to everything going on behind the scenes. An example of a bigger move: When recruiting slumped in the late 90s he took Fine off the road and made Troy Weaver and Hop his primary recruiters, which led to another sustained run of success. Sure, Boeheim also prizes consistency, but he's not afraid to change when change is needed. This recruiting class actually looks a lot like Jay Wright's first few classes after his move away from pursuing lots of McDonalds all American types who were only concerned with their draft stock towards more under the radar and program type guys. Look, I'm concerned about Boeheim being 72 and refusing to step away, and being set in his ways (he's ALWAYS been stubborn though). But these issues aren't black and white. ...The best way to sustain the success of the program (and to help Babers in his turnaround of football), imo, is to do a major renovation of the Dome and not cheap out on it.

It doesn't seem you bothered to read the link I shared or to think about anything I said. JB has made changes throughout his tenure in many aspects of what Cuse does. How do you think he's managed to outlast so many other coaches and win 1000 games? I never said he would or should "reinvent" the program. Those are your words. I said shift how we do some things. Those shifts can be subtle but impactful and they happen every season and fans aren't privy to everything going on behind the scenes. An example of a bigger move: When recruiting slumped in the late 90s he took Fine off the road and made Troy Weaver and Hop his primary recruiters, which led to another sustained run of success. Sure, Boeheim also prizes consistency, but he's not afraid to change when change is needed. This recruiting class actually looks a lot like Jay Wright's first few classes after his move away from pursuing lots of McDonalds all American types who were only concerned with their draft stock towards more under the radar and program type guys. Look, I'm concerned about Boeheim being 72 and refusing to step away, and being set in his ways (he's ALWAYS been stubborn though). But these issues aren't black and white. ...The best way to sustain the success of the program (and to help Babers in his turnaround of football), imo, is to do a major renovation of the Dome and not cheap out on it.

The link was dicey. It came up as unverified, so I didn't open it. I did read your post. We are not shifting anything in our recruiting tactics. Nothing. (Except we lost our most productive one, though Red is fantastic too).

No offense to Gorgiui Dieng, Luke Hancock, Russ Smith, and Peyton Siva, but this is the most talented Louisville team ever.

Translation -
images

Brian I'm sorry we can't do that anymore . . . . until you officially sign with us ;)

Does anyone know if this kid will qualify academically? Seems strange that he had no barely any suitors late in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom