Brown opponent passer rating rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brown opponent passer rating rankings

A list of how his pass defenses has been is barely trying at all
He's not hired with the expectation that he brings lockdown passing defense.

You know this.

Should we expect to suck half the time?

You tell me what we should expect
From Brown we should expect that he'll improve the talent on the team via crootin and the portal. That's what he was hired to do.

We won't know what else to expect until we know who the coordinators are.

This isn't difficult.

Should we expect to suck half the time?
You're the one that always champions how volatile defensive results are and how outside of the factories teams can't rely on consistent defensive performance.

Now you're worried about that?

It means teams he coached suck at pass defense half the time and are good half the time

SU was 68th
so here is my question.

Baylor was 119th in this metric in 2017

Baylor was also 71st in yds allowed per game.

total defense that year

that yr Ok was worse, Ok st was worse, texas was worse, iowa st was worse, kansas was worse, TT was worse,
KSU/TCU/WV were just better.

Sounds like a conf problem. All outside the top 50. .

You're the one that always champions how volatile defensive results are and how outside of the factories teams can't rely on consistent defensive performance.

Now you're worried about that?
Good job paying attention

If defense is a crap shoot no matter what, spend the resources where you have a better chance of consistency

We spent it all on charisma because our TV exec likes that. Fingers crossed

At least they didn't go safe and boring

Meh. Not sure what this tells us?
Unless Brown was the DC during those seasons (he was not), I am not sure how much you can extrapolate from that data set.

What's interesting is that if someone here tried to use the same data to justify hiring a DB coach as first time DC the OP would be the first guy to point out how "moronic" that is. And, in that case, he would be right.

Unless Brown was the DC during those seasons (he was not), I am not sure how much you can extrapolate from that data set.

What's interesting is that if someone here tried to use the same data to justify hiring a DB coach as first time DC the OP would be the first guy to point out how "moronic" that is. And, in that case, he would be right.
This hire is entirely based on intangibles

Different debate Millhouse.

Brown certainly has tangible evidence of his ability to recruit at every place he has been. But this is definitely out of the box thinking to hire Brown.
Temple has been really bad since his last year there.
2015 were probably a lot of golden and addazio's recruits.
There isn't that much tangible evidence, it's just people saying, this guy is great

Baylor was good in 21 with kids he probably recruited in 18-19

I don't know him, maybe if I did, I'd say the same thing

If defense is a crap shoot no matter what, spend the resources where you have a better chance of consistency
They did.

They believe with Brown they can get consistently better talent than we've had.

Doesn't that imply that the history of performance on the field of the players he coached doesn't matter for first time head coaches

The Sabres tried this with Ralph Krueger
I don’t think so. But a great DB coach could be promoted to HC, and his DBs could stink if he hires a poor position coach. Likewise a poor DB coach could become head coach, and the position suddenly thrives because he hires a great position coach. I don’t think the HC is going to be down in the trenches with each position.

I’m not saying we are guaranteed the DB position will be great. I’m just saying we have no idea. We will know a little more when he fills the position. And we will know even more when the players take the field next September.

Temple has been really bad since his last year there.
2015 were probably a lot of golden and addazio's recruits.
There isn't that much tangible evidence, it's just people saying, this guy is great

Baylor was good in 21 with kids he probably recruited in 18-19

I don't know him, maybe if I did, I'd say the same thing
Interesting line of reasoning, especially that last sentence.

Yeah, if you’re desperate for data to justify the hire, you’d come up short since he’s not been a HC or coordinator. If that’s a point you want to make, have it. Conceded.

The stuff we don’t have access to (intangibles!) combined with the high regard he’s held and his recruiting track record is the stuff that convinced JW to roll the dice. It’s enough for me.

Yeah, if you’re desperate for data to justify the hire, you’d come up short since he’s not been a HC or coordinator. If that’s a point you want to make, have it. Conceded.

The stuff we don’t have access to (intangibles!) combined with the high regard he’s held and his recruiting track record is the stuff that convinced JW to roll the dice. It’s enough for me.
But he has been a db coach. Can we look at that? Apparently not. I didn't even say anything bad about it.

52-60 before Georgia
79-60 overall
SRS .3 points below average per game exc GA
3.8 points above avg inc GA

Get a job at Georgia is good advice for coaches

He worked for coaches hired to do a rebuild at Baylor and Rutgers. Baylor improved pretty dramatically under Rhule and Rutgers is slowly improving under Schiano. And his unit got better every year.

He worked for coaches hired to do a rebuild at Baylor and Rutgers. Baylor improved pretty dramatically under Rhule and Rutgers is slowly improving under Schiano. And his unit got better every year.
Baylor got better, he recruited well there
And then he learned from Kirby Smart
I pretty much don't care about temple, they stink. And when they were good, he wasn't there long

We are hiring a Baylor position coach again, pretty much which is kinda funny. Post Baylor he learned from smart and hopefully unlearned from schiano.

Every hire has unknowns
This one has pretty much all of them but whatever

we have to hope we found a guy like these that was not a coord before a HC

Ferentz

Dabo

Urban

Fitz

Fleck

Tressel

Harbaugh
Urban fleck tressel were HC at non p5/non fbs schools, I don't know what the story is with the others off the top of my head

Pasqualoni had some HC experience at least at directional conn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom