Bruce Pearl | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Pearl

SWC75

Bored Historian
I couldn't get a clip on ESPN's site but I've watched his explanation of why the Triche call was a charge "under college rules" and still have no idea what he was talking about. Does anyone else?

Vitale said the defender "was standing there". He's wrong but at least I understood what he was saying.

He said by the book the refs made the right call; but he thinks it was a block. I didn't catch everything but he said something about how a defender can still slide under the offensive player as long as the offensive player hasn't released the ball yet. So basically Triche went up, the guy slid over, then Triche released the ball and they collided.

I thought he said that until the player leaves the floor the D player can still slide under. In the NBA the rule is apparently different in that player cant slide from earlier in the move. Unclear from explanation on when.

I thought he said that until the player leaves the floor the D player can still slide under. In the NBA the rule is apparently different in that player cant slide from earlier in the move. Unclear from explanation on when.
You might be right but I thought he said something about the ball too. Once Triche elevates the defender is still allowed to slide under as long as Triche hadn't released the ball yet.

You might be right but I thought he said something about the ball too. Once Triche elevates the defender is still allowed to slide under as long as Triche hadn't released the ball yet.
If that is the rule, sets up a dangerous situation with the player airborne. Win or lose, for us or against us, I hate the block/charge call. Diminishes the flow of the game, and if nothing else, is called too inconsistenly

In the NBA, the rule is as soon as the offensive player makes the basketball move to shoot the ball, the defender must be in position. Triche made the move to shoot two steps before jumping. During those two steps and as Triche was raising the ball up in his hands to shoot, the defender was still sliding over. The Ref ruled that the defender was in position before Triche jumped into the air, which is the NCAA rule. I disagree, because on the slow mo you can see the defender still sliding as Brandon is airborne. In real time though, it was a bang/bang play. Under NBA rules, it was clearly a block not even close.

Bilas had the best take on it I've heard. He said it was a block because the defender never set and was moving under when BT released the ball. He thinks the NCAA needs to change the rule more like the NBA. The contact is assumed to be a block unless the defender is set before the offensive player begins his move (not merely releasing the ball). Bilas feels college teams have replaced playing defense with just trying to draw a charge call and his rule change would stop that. I agree.

I think a jump should be regarded as a step and if contact is made with a player in the air it should be the same as stepping in front of him when he's dribbling. The defender should be set and motionless to "take a charge". I also think that anything the offensive player does before he comes down should count. "Continuation" should mean that the offensive player took another step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom