Bud Hit The Nail On The Head | Syracusefan.com

Bud Hit The Nail On The Head

BVille44

All Conference
Syracuse football coach Scott Shafer might be talking his way out of a job

Syracuse, N.Y. — If Scott Shafer is, in fact, relieved of his duties in three weeks or so, the words that could be chiseled into his Syracuse University coaching tombstone might be these:

"I looked up at the clock and said, 'Hey, we can still get back in this game.'"

Shafer spoke those 17 potentially-fatal words this afternoon when he again discussed why he'd chosen three days earlier to leave his previously-concussed quarterback — the 19-year-old Eric Dungey — on that Louisville field with some 4½ minutes to play in an affair the Orange was losing 41-10.

And the disturbing thing is that Scott, who'd watched Dungey get smashed once more for no good reason and immediately thereafter get dispatched to the locker room, seemed serious. Which means he's either lost his senses or is very bad at arithmetic.

Either way, the man may be in the process of talking his way out of a job.

Get back in the game, huh? In addition to knocking off a few decades of the rosary, this is what SU would have needed to do to get back in Saturday's game against the clearly-superior Cardinals:

Score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick. Then, score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick. Then, score a touchdown, convert the two-point conversion and recover the ensuing onside kick.

And all in, say, three minutes.

That would have brought the score to 41-34, which would have gotten the Orange "back in the game" and given it the opportunity in, say, 90 seconds, to score yet another touchdown, convert yet another two-point conversion and win 42-41 as time expired.

Now, sure, football coaches are a weird bunch and they're wired to think that nearly all things are possible at nearly all times for their teams. But if you've listened to Scott Shafer — first on Saturday after SU's 41-17 loss to the Cardinals and then, again, earlier today — and you didn't hear Lloyd Christmas, you missed "Dumb and Dumber."

"So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!"

Of course, everybody respects the noble competitor who refuses to give up. We like to believe there's a little bit of Chuck Wepner, the ol' Bayonne Bleeder, in all of us. But jeez.

Last November, Shafer wouldn't put a loyal, walk-on, fifth-year senior lineman — who'd given his soul to the program and yet had never played a down — on the field for a "Rudy" moment in the final seconds of the season finale the Orange was losing 28-7 at Boston College.

And this November, Shafer wouldn't take a battered, struggling, true-freshman quarterback — who'd been knocked out of two previous games after taking blows to the head — off the field in the final minutes of the most recent mismatch the Orange was losing 41-10 at Louisville.

And in both instances, Scott's stated reason was that there was time enough to win. That makes the Syracuse coach, from one year to the next, a man of faith … or a man in need of a soft couch and a cold compress. Oh, and of a heart, too.

That submitted, here comes No. 1-ranked Clemson into the Carrier Dome. If the Tigers prove the odds-makers correct, and if they do knock off SU by four touchdowns, Scott Shafer will still be Scott Shafer … and you can attach the meaning of your choice to that.

Indeed, he'll likely declare that, even as the clock wound down — three … two … one … — on, oh, a 44-16 final score, his head was telling him there was a chance.

Some things are easier to predict than others.

Who the heck is chuck wepner?
image.jpeg

My god what a crock of crap. Buds an idiot and so is every word out of his mouth.

It is sad when I agree with Bud. Just like the saying a broken clock is right twice a day. The walkon stuff is a non-story for me though. The coach doesn't have to play them just because its the end of the year. For me that isn't t important.

Also I respect the moderators they didn't delete the other thread I got rid of it on my own because it was becoming a pissing match about me and then wasn't needed.

It is sad when I agree with Bud. Just like the saying a broken clock is right twice a day. The walkon stuff is a non-story for me though. The coach doesn't have to play them just because its the end of the year. For me that isn't t important.

It's not a big deal, but it does counter a lot of the rhetoric coming from the FB complex about the values of the program. Wouldn't you make sure the kid got a snap in a meaningless game, in which the outcome had been decided?

Also I respect the moderators they didn't delete the other thread I got rid of it on my own because it was becoming a pissing match about me and then wasn't needed.
All people have left about him is he's a great guy,players love him, he gets the community blahblahblah.

You're 3-8, about to be 3-9...play the 5th year walk on for a snap.

F him, he 'gets'...nothing.

It's not a big deal, but it does counter a lot of the rhetoric coming from the FB complex about the values of the program. Wouldn't you make sure the kid got a snap in a meaningless game, in which the outcome had been decided?

It was an away game. Rudy had a Rudy moment because the game was at home. A stadium full of BC fans could give a crap.

It was an away game. Rudy had a Rudy moment because the game was at home. A stadium full of BC fans could give a crap.

Well maybe the 60 players and whatever staff on the SU sideline that day could give a crap and let a 5th year kid get a play. I don't care if the game was on the moon, don't do that and claim that family is a core value.

I don't understand why coaches don't empty the bench the last game of the season when the outcome is decided more often. I'm not talking about a participation trophy or anything. What's so bad about giving a kid that hung in there all year without any glory a minute to be a real athlete?

you think the kid cared whether he got the snap at home or on the road?

My comment has less to do with what Gould cared about and wanted and more to do with Bud over-sensationalizing a legitimate gripe.

Part of it is I just don't like Bud or his writing style.

Last edited:

Psssst....it would not be for the BC fans

when people start copying and pasting Poliquin columns I know that they've got nothing better to do but complain. This board is turning into Syracuse.com redux.

I get the point. I wish the kid got to play but I am not going to criticize SS for that. It was his call and while I get the frustration its NOT reason for change.