Buddy looked like a dII player tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy looked like a dII player tonight

He shot 40 percent in the ACC last year. It’s not a crazy expectation. Rautins had one year of that and I followed both their careers at JD. From a shooting perspective stats wise he’s ahead of Rautins who has reached legend status on this board.

You're pretty passionate about this, but I just don't see it. Andy was pretty wiry, and fluid. Buddy has concrete shoes. Do you think he's going to get to a point where he can take two plus dribbles and NOT have to use his body as a blockade to protect the ball?
I just don't see him ever tearing around screens. It doesn't mean he won't have better numbers, he certainly will, but will he ever end up as impactful by the end? Not sure I see it. He's different, I don't really care much about the comparison either way, but overall, Buddy has built in limitations that I don't think Andy had. He's not hard to guard.
As a 35+ MPG guy, that's problematic, even though the consistently great shooting will always give us great numbers. Does it give us greatness though? Ehhh.

I guess what I'm saying-
When Buddy Boeheim is not making shots, like last night, he just does not add anything of value. He becomes a net detriment.
This is sort of like Marek not scoring and missing foul shots. Do all the little things he does really make up for it?
Or QG getting us more rebounds only to get stripped or make a bad pass turnover?

This is sort of like Marek not scoring and missing foul shots. Do all the little things he does really make up for it?
Or QG getting us more rebounds only to get stripped or make a bad pass turnover?
yep - but with Marek you could at least argue, yes, he does other things when he's not scoring - I don't see how anyone could make that argument w Buddy

did he make 5 mistakes (to's, missed shots, fouls) in any 5 minute period ? cuz according to JB's carey equation he laid out in a post game presser that means you're benched for the game and just lost your starting job.

Last edited:
yep - but with Marek you could at least argue, yes, he does other things when he's not scoring - I don't see how anyone could make that argument w Buddy
marek does not look like he's having fun this season. maybe he's upset with the whistles or maybe he's overmatched physically underneath. he brings the hustle every play but he's sulking and jawing quite a bit

His shooting is direct function of his footwork. If he has time to set and square up, he’s a great, great shooter. Teams with athletic perimeter defenders don’t let him set and square up. His lower body was out of whack on a bunch of his shots tonight.

I don't know that I've ever seen a "good" perimeter shooter miss in such an inconsistent variety of ways. Left, right, short, long bricks.

His footwork is dreadful against teams whose defenders are better athletes than he is. And going forward that's...(checks schedule)...almost everyone other than Niagara.

marek does not look like he's having fun this season. maybe he's upset with the whistles or maybe he's overmatched physically underneath. he brings the hustle every play but he's sulking and jawing quite a bit

Maybe someone posted on this, but it was salt in a wound watching highlight after highlight of the OSU player driving the length of the court with an illegal fully-extended stiff-arm (complete with wrapping his forearm) to Dolezaj the other night.

That kid gets the short end of a lot of calls and non-calls. And he also hurts himself by being the least focused free throw shooter on the squad. He's way too good to miss so much.

In a normal year buddy, marek, joe G would all be bench guys coming in for a few minutes. Would like to see a more athletic lineup. Goodine, Hughes, Braswell, Guerrier and Sidibie. Play some defense and bring the other guys off the bench. Have Goodine and Hughes handle the ball.

Buddy has zero dribbling responsibility, correct? That seems weird to have a 2 guard who doesn't help bring the ball over half court. I guess he does help during the press.

I'm going out on a limb here, but Buddy leading our team in shot attempts is not a winning formula.
No it’s not. I noticed that a few games back and it’s not good. I might be slower than some but I am beginning to lose hope for the immediate future

WHat????? J G III and Buddy is your first choice. Fing Stupid

On representative Syracuse teams of the last 25 years Buddy would be a sub who might play 6-8 minutes a game and mostly against zone defenses. Dolezaj would be playing 6 minutes not 30+. Good SU teams always have scoring forwards. Sidibe wouldn't get off the bench except in blowouts against cupcakes.

Could have sworn I read on here that Buddy was going to be in the "league" when all is said and done.

Maybe someone posted on this, but it was salt in a wound watching highlight after highlight of the OSU player driving the length of the court with an illegal fully-extended stiff-arm (complete with wrapping his forearm) to Dolezaj the other night.

That kid gets the short end of a lot of calls and non-calls. And he also hurts himself by being the least focused free throw shooter on the squad. He's way too good to miss so much.

He wasn't just giving Marek a stiff arm, he grabbed his wrist so Marek couldn't reach for the ball. It was totally a soccer move.

i think buddy can be a starter at syracuse but right now, hes a step, maybe two slow. Hes still very young and should not be in the position he is in. He should be our 7th man.

jim boeheim’s ego is setting the program back. The jalen carey situation is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Could have sworn I read on here that Buddy was going to be in the "league" when all is said and done.

I said he may have a chance. He still is only a sophomore. If Rautins can make it then I think Buddy eventually could.

Buddy only works on teams where you have a PG who can drive and kick for open 3s, for spurts. He is such a liability on defense head has to hit threes to be on the floor. He is a great shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom