Buddy only ACC frosh to shoot 40% on 80+ 3PA and shoot 56% from 2 pt range(stats begin in 92-93) | Syracusefan.com

Buddy only ACC frosh to shoot 40% on 80+ 3PA and shoot 56% from 2 pt range(stats begin in 92-93)

Millhouse

Living Legend
Wait, I thought Carey got benched just so JB could play his kid.

Production, what's that got to do with it?

Really interesting and the kid was huge for us this year. I will be interested to see how he progresses. I mean, there are a ton of rautins comparisons but I don't see that as much. Andy could be a huge part of a win in a game where he went 1 of 8 from the floor. Buddy could get there but he's not there yet. That said, he's obviously improved and adapted to the speed of the game this season as it's gone on.

Anyway, that shooting seems like it will be key for him. He's proven he can hang decently on the defensive end, so if he's a guy around 40% fro 3, he's going to be a huge factor for us and anything else he brings is gravy.

Really interesting and the kid was huge for us this year. I will be interested to see how he progresses. I mean, there are a ton of rautins comparisons but I don't see that as much. Andy could be a huge part of a win in a game where he went 1 of 8 from the floor. Buddy could get there but he's not there yet. That said, he's obviously improved and adapted to the speed of the game this season as it's gone on.

Anyway, that shooting seems like it will be key for him. He's proven he can hang decently on the defensive end, so if he's a guy around 40% fro 3, he's going to be a huge factor for us and anything else he brings is gravy.

Buddy's freshman year blows away Andy's.

The kid had 6 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals last night.

He also took it to the hoop.

I'll say it. Buddy will be better than Rautins by the time he is done.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that. Also, suddenly that Buddy NBA thread isn't so outrageous. Lot of ball left for him to play before that point, though. He's off to a great start.

It does, but Andy wound up being second team all-big east as a senior while averaging 5 assists/game and shooting 41% on 240 3-point attempts. He was also extremely disruptive defensively -- I know steals is not a great way of measuring defense, but if you look at single-season steal numbers since we switched to zone in 95-96, Hart had three huge seasons (90, 79 and 101), James Theus (?) had 101, GMac had a season with 77 and MCW was an absolute menace with 111.

But Andy's 69 steals in 09-10 is a top 10 figure for us in those 25 seasons or so. Not to mention that that team dominated at both ends and played a ton of tempo that came from Andy's long passes down the court.

I'd love it if Buddy ends up being better but I"m not ready to go there yet.

It does, but Andy wound up being second team all-big east as a senior while averaging 5 assists/game and shooting 41% on 240 3-point attempts. He was also extremely disruptive defensively -- I know steals is not a great way of measuring defense, but if you look at single-season steal numbers since we switched to zone in 95-96, Hart had three huge seasons (90, 79 and 101), James Theus (?) had 101, GMac had a season with 77 and MCW was an absolute menace with 111.

But Andy's 69 steals in 09-10 is a top 10 figure for us in those 25 seasons or so. Not to mention that that team dominated at both ends and played a ton of tempo that came from Andy's long passes down the court.

Your comparing a freshman Buddy to a 5th year senior in Andy though. If anything I think buddy has shown way more potential than Andy at this stage in their career's. Rautin's freshman year stats (linked below) are nowhere close to Buddy. His sophomore stats are more comparable but id still give buddy the edge. Andy really made a jump in his senior year though but I don't think its unreasonable to say that buddy cant do that let alone surpass him. Its unfair and wrong to compare a 5th year senior to a freshman, would be apples to oranges.

Andy Rautins Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Buddy Boeheim

To compare Buddy to Andy is like comparing Girard to Jimmer. Not sure where I'm going with this, but both present day players are ahead, at this juncture, of someone who achieved greatness. I think Girard is used to this comparison, so that is good. Buddy was great last night! Always exciting when we see what a player can do.

I don't think buddy can get that much better - he's already so well prepared, he's not some doofus that has no idea what college basketball is like

i think he will get better at creating more shots for himself but i doubt the percentages improve (which is fine)

Still think he has some baby fat to cut to get a little more explosive. Also Andy was a phenomenal passer he made that offense hum IMO.

Still think he has some baby fat to cut to get a little more explosive. Also Andy was a phenomenal passer he made that offense hum IMO.
Agreed. Buddy makes smart plays but gets in trouble when his passes are a little soft.

Rautins Sr year is the gold standard imho.

Last edited:
The play that stood out last night was when he got in to the mix undeneath and got that offensive rebound and put it back up, missed and got another offensive rebound and scored +1. That is the type of play that can make a guy like Buddy realize he can be a force in other aspects of the game than he has been accustomed to. It's the type of plays your Alpha guy makes because they just decide they aren't going to allow the other team to get their way. I found that very exciting because Battle being out put a couple guys in the situation where "I'm going to have to get it done because nobody else can."

So anyway - it highlights that Buddy can expand his game a ton over the next few years. Strength is the biggest thing he'll need to develop. But he could be all timer if he develops like some other players have.

Incredible how quickly he was able to address early season weaknesses. Not out of the realm of possibility that he improves handle to the point that he can be more of a combo or hybrid point next year. Kid may actually end up having NBA potential.

Buddy's probably never going to have ideal lateral quickness for the zone, but he's already shown a knack for knowing where to go to make steals on kick out passes when someone is trapped in the lane or doubled on the sideline or short corner.

I'd love to see Buddy be a Klay Thompson type player. Catch-and-shoot being his specialty, but also can get to the hoop if needed. Obviously needs to work on handling the ball a little bit more and his explosiveness, but he can certainly get there.

Raisins Sr year is the gold standard imho.

Yeah, that's my feeling too and I'm not sure many people realize -- since the numbers aren't eye-popping, just how good Rautins was. There was only five guards selected to those top two teams and Kemba Walker was a third-team guy. So Rautins was playing at an absolutely elite level.

I also think quickness remains a bit of a question with Buddy on the defensive end. He's quick enough to hang there and will probably improve to become a really solid defensive player, but Rautins was absolutely dynamic as a junior and senior (his per 40 numbers were excellent both years even though the counting stats were a little lower his junior year).

Bottom line -- I like Buddy, I realize he's a frosh, I think he's going to be a very nice player for us, but reaching the bar Rautins set is going to be hard for almost any guard we bring in here. If Buddy improves and is a really solid player on the defensive end and proves to be a really consistent long-range shooter and solid passer, we really have something. That would be a really good player. He can do that, IMO, but getting to that next level that Rautins hit -- or exceeding that level -- is nowhere near a gimme, IMO.

It is nice to see a freshman being able to play through some growing pains vs getting stuck on the bench if they struggle early on.

I'd love to see Buddy be a Klay Thompson type player. Catch-and-shoot being his specialty, but also can get to the hoop if needed. Obviously needs to work on handling the ball a little bit more and his explosiveness, but he can certainly get there.

I know you're not saying that he's going to be Klay but that type of player, but again, we need to pump the breaks a bit. I mean, Klay came in and put up 12.5 ppg as a frosh then was basically at 20 and 21.5 the next two seasons while being an elite wing defender.

If Buddy can continue to shoot at a high level, move well without the ball, show some versatility offensively and improve defensively, we have a really good player. But the bar Klay set is really a guy playing at a truly elite level. It's a lot to think Buddy approaches that.