Butler | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Butler

I know Dino likes him and he does get separation but his hands are really bad. Without significant improvement he wont keep it.
i agree,but he looses concentration. i had high hopes for him.he needs work.

I would prefer you have said, high level competition. Not saying the current or new are bad but if you have 7 bad receivers you'll still have competition... I want guys that'll be too good not to play.
I would say we will have some high level competition.;)

Something that can be improved upon. And he will. He’s a true sophomore who got hurt last year.
Im not sure about that. Its like accuracy in a QB. Sure it can improve but you either have it or you dont. Take Ish. He always has had great hands. Its natural with him. Like vision in a back. I hope im wrong but i dont ever think that Butler will be known for his hands

He gets open a lot. Needs to at least get the hands to "serviceable." The problem will be, regardless of whether his hands improve, he is going to draw better DBs with Ish gone. I hope he rises to the challenge because he was best athlete we had on offense this year after Dungey and Pierce (who I believe is stunted by both immaturity and the need to be an extra blocker).

Let's see how he plays next year guys. Ish wasn't that great last year. The top option on our team will always catch 75 balls. That's probably him next yr. He will be fine.

Let's see how he plays next year guys. Ish wasn't that great last year. The top option on our team will always catch 75 balls. That's probably him next yr. He will be fine.
Ish was better as a Freshman than Butler was as a Sophomore...and it wasn't close

Im not sure about that. Its like accuracy in a QB. Sure it can improve but you either have it or you dont. Take Ish. He always has had great hands. Its natural with him. Like vision in a back. I hope im wrong but i dont ever think that Butler will be known for his hands
For some it's natural, others it's not. Qadry Ismail had notoriously bad hands at first. It's why Shelby Hill started over him in 1990. He got better, started his last two years, and was a third round draft choice. Here's hoping Butler can do the same.

For some it's natural, others it's not. Qadry Ismail had notoriously bad hands at first. It's why Shelby Hill started over him in 1990. He got better, started his last two years, and was a third round draft choice. Here's hoping Butler can do the same.
Good post but again Ismail was never considered a hands guy and he had elite speed. I know Butler is fast but Qadry would smoke him.

Good post but again Ismail was never considered a hands guy and he had elite speed. I know Butler is fast but Qadry would smoke him.

What does speed have to do with hands?

We have 4 wide receivers coming in this new class that are better receivers now than Butler and Johnson. as far as catching the ball. (Lutz, Harris, Queeley, and Hendrix) I believe Hendrix could step in for Ish immediately) he is that good.

What’s wrong with Johnson? He’s barely been given a chance. I will go out on a limb and say he ends up having a better career than Erv.

As for Butler... I’m a pretty big fan, and I think the drop issue can be addressed (mainly with confidence), but today was the first time that I started to question if he can handle being a #1 or even #2 WR. I’m not putting any of the current HS WR’s ahead of him. They have a LOT to prove. Butler does find a way to get consistently open. That’s hard enough to accomplish on a consistent basis at this level. Improving his hands is something he can improve through practice. If he wasn’t skilled enough to get open I would be more worried.

Doesn't matter, if you can't catch. It's why he was no more than a KO returner for two years. Being able to catch the ball and whether that is a skill that can be developed was the subject, not speed.

What does speed have to do with hands?
I was replying to sufandus post about how Qadry went in the third round. It was a combo of his hands improving plus his elite speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom