Bye Bye ESPN Sports Reporters | Syracusefan.com

Bye Bye ESPN Sports Reporters

Used to be a great show back in the 80's and 90's. With social media you can hear a sports reporters opinion every day all day. Show is outdated. Still sad its going away

Used to be a great show back in the 80's and 90's. With social media you can hear a sports reporters opinion every day all day. Show is outdated. Still sad its going away

It was inspired by the Chicago Show "Sportswriters on TV", which I loved, (it was a gathering of friends, not rivals). But I still liked the ESPN show enough to make it a staple on Sunday morning.

Da Gold Standard: Remembering the unmatched straight talk of The Sports Writers on TV

The Case For Rebooting The Sports Writers On TV

Last edited:
I had no idea that was still on the air. As a kid I thought it was incredibly boring, but I would still pretend to be really interested in it on Sunday mornings because I didn't want to go to church.

I had no idea that was still on the air. As a kid I thought it was incredibly boring, but I would still pretend to be really interested in it on Sunday mornings because I didn't want to go to church.

The show died under its own success sort of. Tony Kornheiser became a star on his own and stopped doing the show. Mitch Albom became a big time author so he did the show far far less after that. Bill Conlin got caught being a pedophile so he wasn't allowed on the show. Dick Schapp died. Bryan Burwell died. When John Saunders died it was almost the straw that broke the camels back.

Aside from Lupica and Bob Ryan the show lost a lot of star power it once had over the years.

The show died under its own success sort of. Tony Kornheiser became a star on his own and stopped doing the show. Mitch Albom became a big time author so he did the show far far less after that. Bill Conlin got caught being a pedophile so he wasn't allowed on the show. Dick Schapp died. Bryan Burwell died. When John Saunders died it was almost the straw that broke the camels back.

Aside from Lupica and Bob Ryan the show lost a lot of star power it once had over the years.
And who can stand Lupica? Condescending little know-it-all.

Wow, I didn't know that Bryan Burwell died. I stopped watching those shows a few years ago because Lupica and Ryan are so obnoxious, but Burwell was great. Liked his writing, too. Very sad.

I didn't watch regularly because it conflicted with church, but I used to enjoy the older days when I could catch it. Lupica just cracks me up. Look up big blowhard in the dictionary and it will have his picture.

I didn't watch regularly because it conflicted with church, but I used to enjoy the older days when I could catch it. Lupica just cracks me up. Look up big blowhard in the dictionary and it will have his picture.

Actually, I always thought of him as a little blowhard. But since he took over as moderator, he's been muted and I actually like the show better that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom