Bye bye Warren and hello Castro | Syracusefan.com

Bye bye Warren and hello Castro

CaliCuse

All American
I presume this guy is better than Fidel with his glove and bat. I guess Mitchell will try to fill; Warren's multi role functions as a Yankee.

As of now, I'll say this is a good trade for the Cubs as well. Obviously Zobrist is replacing Castro at 2B, and I assume that unless/until he's traded, Javier Baez will slot in as a backup 2B/SS/CF for awhile.

I had a soft spot for Castro because Cubs fans made him the scapegoat whenever things went poorly, but he's a seriously maddening player to support. He'll have stretches where he hits .500 and is just crushing the ball, and he'll follow it up with a solid month of hitting below the Mendoza line. He'll make some of the best plays in the field that you'll see, and then he'll randomly decide he doesn't feel like playing today and he'll just loaf around, let runs score, not attempt to field the ball, etc. without a care in the world.

At the deadline, Chicago was rumored to be considering just dumping him for another bad contract, so to get any sort of value out of him a few months later is a win in my books. It's certainly possible that he puts it all together and returns to being an all-star caliber infielder, but this trade made a lot of sense for the Cubs to make, especially if it leads to them landing both Zobrist and Jason Heyward/some other stud outfielder.

I presume this guy is better than Fidel with his glove and bat. I guess Mitchell will try to fill; Warren's multi role functions as a Yankee.

Lol, very good trade for the Yankees, I actually wanted the Mets to trade for him last offseason.

Things worked out! Jason Heyward to the Cubs!
Ron+swanson+actually+happy_6cf6f3_4786756.gif

Yankees are no longer the team they where under George.

His sons have reigned in spending.

Red Sox dump 217 on Price and Cubs dump 184 on Heyward. Both are dumb contracts. Price has 3-4 good years and Heyward isn't exactly that much of an upgrade over Dexter Fowler. He is an upgrade for sure but not sure worth that much money especially after Carl Crawford and he and Heyward are similar players.

Castro should be the NYY SS. He is a good gamble but Warren was a solid swing man.

I expect Gardner to be traded for a SP. Him and Ellsbury are dual players. That Ellsbury contract was stupid.

I love the Castro trade. They bought low.

Red Sox dump 217 on Price and Cubs dump 184 on Heyward. Both are dumb contracts. Price has 3-4 good years and Heyward isn't exactly that much of an upgrade over Dexter Fowler. He is an upgrade for sure but not sure worth that much money especially after Carl Crawford and he and Heyward are similar players.

Castro should be the NYY SS. He is a good gamble but Warren was a solid swing man.

I expect Gardner to be traded for a SP. Him and Ellsbury are dual players. That Ellsbury contract was stupid.

I love Fowler, but it isn't even close. And it's basically a guarantee that this turns into a 3 year deal anyways due to his ability to opt out at 29 years old. Unless you're a traditional guy that doesn't buy into sabermetrics, Heyward is considered probably one of the top 3-5 OFs in baseball. Fowler's probably about the same value hitter as Heyward, but Heyward is an elite fielder while Fowler is average at best and is only getting worse. The question now is whether they'll move Soler for another SP or if they'll just keep him in RF and play Heyward in CF. But either way, I would guess the Cubs will probably be WS favorites going into the new season.

I love Fowler, but it isn't even close. And it's basically a guarantee that this turns into a 3 year deal anyways due to his ability to opt out at 29 years old. Unless you're a traditional guy that doesn't buy into sabermetrics, Heyward is considered probably one of the top 3-5 OFs in baseball. Fowler's probably about the same value hitter as Heyward, but Heyward is an elite fielder while Fowler is average at best and is only getting worse. The question now is whether they'll move Soler for another SP or if they'll just keep him in RF and play Heyward in CF. But either way, I would guess the Cubs will probably be WS favorites going into the new season.
It is an upgrade but Heyward isn't worth 184 million IMO. He hit .293 last year which is his career high. Fowler walks a lot like Heyward. Fowler isn't that bad in CF. He isn't a GG OF like Heyward is RF.

Heyward is an elite RF but is scheduled to play CF and that will put more wear on him. He has made the all-star team one time in his career. I wouldn't pay him 23 million for 8 years. I doubt he will opt-out unless he is clearly over achieving and can get more money.
I wouldn't put him in my top 5 OF in MLB
1. Trout
2. Harper
3. McCutchen
4. AJ Pollock
5. Stanton

Then you got guys like Carlos Gomez, Mookie Betts, Jose Bautista.

I think its a definite upgrade but not that much. I would love to hear Knicks411 opinion.

Heyward plays like Carl Crawford did. Now he is still 26 but I don't expect him to get that much better.

The Cubs are definitely a team to watchout for with their bullpen re-tooled. Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, and that lineup 1-8 will be the best in baseball

Zobrist, Heyward, Bryant, Rizzo, Schwaber, Soler, Montero, Russell, p

That is a sick lineup.

I'm just glad that I can legitimately have expectations for the Cubs again lol. Last year was amazing because I wasn't expecting to make the playoffs so soon, but at this point, missing the playoffs would be a pretty big disappointment; this is the best chance the Cubs have had at a world series in a long time.

Top 3-5 OF for Heyward seems like a stretch. Still love it for the Cubs though. $23 million a year just isn't a lot of money these days and the guy is 26, so signing him for 8 years stings, but it's not that bad. Even if he plays the 8 years out, he'll be the same age Curtis Granderson was 2 years ago when the Mets signed him. Cubs have to be the NL favorite now.

Crawford relied on his speed in a way that Heyward doesn't. The guy is a great RF, I think he can hack it in CF for a few years. I don't think he'll ever be the player he was projected to be a while back but for a team in the Cubs position I think it's a good deal

Castro will be the 2B where he performs better plus Didi developed into a quality SS for the Yankees last season

Unless Cashman has something following that specific trade, which he said he did, then I would agree

unless he specifically needs one of those 2 guys for the next deal, then trading a multi-year proven effective left handed reliever who is effective at getting out guys from both sides and is also young/in his prime and cost controlled for the next several years makes exactly 0.0 sense to me

unless he specifically needs one of those 2 guys for the next deal, then trading a multi-year proven effective left handed reliever who is effective at getting out guys from both sides and is also young/in his prime and cost controlled for the next several years makes exactly 0.0 sense to me

Hence why I said I agree, with all the reasons you listed, but those questions were asked and Cashman said he was not done with that specific trade

Castro will be the 2B where he performs better plus Didi developed into a quality SS for the Yankees last season

I think it's a little early to say this. He caught fire when they switched him to 2B last year, but we're talking about a sample of 33 games over the course of his 6 year career. Castro is a very streaky player so it could easily be a case where he happened to hit one of his hot streaks that just so happened to line up with his move to 2B.

I'll be rooting for him a lot because he was one of my favorite Cubs and Cubs fans made him into a scapegoat, but playing great baseball for a 30 game stretch is nothing new to him; it's the poor 30 game stretch that follows that has weighed his value down recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom