Class of 2019 - C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jon Bol Ajak (PA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t buy it. So what Duke lost in the E8. They were formidable all year. Their bigs were NOT the reason they lost to Kansas. The defense was and they finally got paired with an experienced team with firepower who could light up a scoreboard. Their bigs aren’t the dinosaur types either. Boeheim would gladly have taken Carter or Bagley. Yes those “dinosaurs.”

MSU was a more of a perimeter team much of last season. That Jackson was drafted highly on potential, IMO. Never that impressed. We’ll see how he does.

You need bigs who can do SOMETHING with the ball these days. We haven’t had that with Chewy, Keita, etc.

And Rak couldn’t either his sophomore year yet we were a Brandon Triche charge call from playing Louisville for the National title in 2013.

Chukwus numbers last year were similar to Fabs in 2012 and we are going to win 25 games this year without a lowpost center. They mean squat.

Honestly looking back at the first few pages of this kid has me thinking I'm safe to assume he will out perform his ranking, likely significantly. Never wanted this kid really over most of the other targets, but I can't help but think he will surprise barring injuries.

And Rak couldn’t either his sophomore year yet we were a Brandon Triche charge call from playing Louisville for the National title in 2013.

Chukwus numbers last year were similar to Fabs in 2012 and we are going to win 25 games this year without a lowpost center. They mean squat.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. The game has changed. I’m not talking about having a Shaquille O’ Neal type traditional type of back you down C. Fab is a bad comparison because as raw as he was he was still way more advanced than Chewy. I think Fab on last year’s team could’ve put up much better numbers than Chewy. Just a better player. Fab had good players around him. As long as we have enough shooting and ballhandling (appears to be so moving forward) then we can get away with having a raw C. Probably good enough to win 25 like you say. Probably. It’ll bite ya at some point though in the Tourney since our problem is usually offense in that setting.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. The game has changed. I’m not talking about having a Shaquille O’ Neal type traditional type of back you down C. Fab is a bad comparison because as raw as he was he was still way more advanced than Chewy. I think Fab on last year’s team could’ve put up much better numbers than Chewy. Just a better player. Fab had good players around him. As long as we have enough shooting and ballhandling (appears to be so moving forward) then we can get away with having a raw C. Probably good enough to win 25 like you say. Probably. It’ll bite ya at some point though in the Tourney.

Outside of Okafor at Duke what title team had a low post center?

Honestly looking back at the first few pages of this kid has me thinking I'm safe to assume he will out perform his ranking, likely significantly. Never wanted this kid really over most of the other targets, but I can't help but think he will surprise barring injuries.
He has a pretty nice touch for a big. Can shoot adequately from out to the 3. He has some nice skills to build on and will only get better as long as he stays healthy. Not really a beanpole either. Has the frame to put size on. He will be around for 4 years and that's great for us. Only can go up from here!

Outside of Okafor at Duke what title team had a low post center?

Ochefu got buckets inside for Nova. Really improved for them where he could be counted on inside.

Meeks and Hicks too. Whenever one of them was at C. They could be counted on to get a bucket inside.

That’s all I’m saying. Someone skilled who can get a bucket down there in the post. I don’t care what size he is. That’s why a player like Stewart makes me drool in today’s game. You can have a beanpole play off him at the 4.

My first guess would have been UCONN but then you said top 15 program so not sure who the other team is.

Let's not go there who is better etc, let's root for everyone ORANGE , we win as a team and lose as a team.

List does not include guys we offered, but were out of the running early in the game or even recently or the kids we have passed on, you would be surprised at the amount of kids we do not engage with.

GMAC - Goodine, Stewart, Akok , Girard

Autry - Bol, Quincy, Wahab, and 1 more big

Griff - Working more on 2020 kids, working on 1 potential for 19, He's doing great

Our staff is doing a tremendous job, not every player you like or i like agrees with us, it just so happens kids might want to go somewhere else than Upstate NY.

I said it in March 2017 (i think that is when HOP left) - I hated to see HOP go, but I was thrilled to see JB running the show go forward, since that day forward no matter how you look at it, for both or either JB and/or Hop/both schools are doing very well and are in a great place, most importantly SU.

Add a few more days of FBI Trial and it might be a total DOWN POUR in our favor!!!

Thank you to JB & Hop and the coaches for keeping us out of the mess, when you would see all of these kids who were SU leans going to AZ, Miami, OR, NC State and others you just knew something was off..

Oregon, NC State, LSU, Kansas, Arizona, Miami, Maryland, Louisville and more are all in huge trouble.
The NCAA has been advised to HOLD and wait until all of the trials are complete.
Penalties probably will not start until 2020, maybe 2019.
I am hearing one other top 15 program is going to be named during the current trial, another good one for us.

Louisville current sanctions do not include the current events correct?

Anyway hope that answers your question lol

Correct. Exactly why you don’t need elite post bigs. They’re dinosaurs. Duke had two of them last year and couldn’t get out of the elite 8.

MSU had two of them and scored 52 points against crappy Syracuse.

3 point shooting is far more important.
Not totally disagreeing with you, because I think you have a point. 3pt shooting is more important than in years past - with small ball and the new offensive diversity we've seen. Low block scoring isn't essential, but that doesn't mean rim protectors aren't important, or that rebounding isn't important. In fact I would argue that length in the middle of the zone has been a key ingredient to our success. Having both is great, ala 2012. But look how well we did last year without a lot of offensive firepower .. and inside size and rim protection.

Last edited:
Am I the only 1 that doesn’t really like this pick up ?
We have 6 open spots next year assuming Brissett and Battle both leave early.

We weren't going to get 6 top 100 kids nor should we because we still will be pretty deep next year as it stands already (Goodine, Carey, Hughes, Marek, Sidibe would be a nice starting 5). We will need some kids who can be developmental and be OK with coming in and only getting a handful of minutes per game before they get their chance.

Excellent pick-up, kid can shoot real nice, my posts are confusing on purpose, can't post info that is not public before a kid announces, Expecting a 5 man class, could be 6, highly doubt it could be 4, but u never know, if i had to bet today - 5 kids for 19 - 2 bigs, 1 forward, 2 guards

Hopefully this doesn’t mean that we get either Akok, or Quincy and not both. You may have Akok as a big or Quincy as a guard. Though one is better than none. Absolutely need one of them but just add those two and the class is gravy. It would make not getting another center easier. But, I think we end up with Dimon.

We have 6 open spots next year assuming Brissett and Battle both leave early.

We weren't going to get 6 top 100 kids nor should we because we still will be pretty deep next year as it stands already (Goodine, Carey, Hughes, Marek, Sidibe would be a nice starting 5). We will need some kids who can be developmental and be OK with coming in and only getting a handful of minutes per game before they get their chance.

Understandable, but let's actually get a couple top 50's. We have plenty of 4 year guys right now.

Hamstring injury tanked his ratings, because he was hobbled last spring / summer, when most rating services evaluate players.

He's a good "get."
Thought it was an achilles injury, no?

we just need a center who can catch and make layups/dunks.. dont need any fancy moves, just put it in the basket from inside 3ft and make 65% of the FTs

Am I the only one that visited this site multiple times today and didn't see he committed because I skim past the pinned threads? Good stuff, keep em coming.

very disappointed in the reaction of many on this forum.

we have plenty of openings in this class. he does not have to be an instant rotation player. bras and him might form a strong nucleaus as juniors or at least be important rotation players.

i saw some of his vids, the kid has size and a sweet stroke, he seems a bit short on athleticism, but i have seen plenty of kids who are not uber atletes be very solid players.

the staff wants him, unless a player is glaringly bad, that is enough for me.

his recruitment won't scare any other targets off, except for stewart.

what is not to like ????

Status
Not open for further replies.