Class of 2018 - C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Majur Majak (NJ) to St Peters

No disrespect to anyone, but saying we've had successful big men recently depends on how you look at it. Considering their high school rankings one could argue that Rak and Fab underachieved. Rak didn't bust out until his senior season. DC2 was injured so I'll give you that one. Forth, Rick and Arinze were adequate+. Weren't these guys were ranked higher than #305 which is Majak's current ranking?

Please don't misunderstand me, I hope Majak can magically become a great player but outside of his height, probable work ethic/coachability and an awesome name this really seems like a reach, and below SU standards.

Last edited:
No disrespect to anyone, but saying we've had successful big men recently depends on how you look at it. Considering their high school rankings one could argue that Rak and Fab underachieved. Rak didn't bust out until his senior season. DC2 was injured so I'll give you that one. Forth, Rick and Arinze were adequate+. Weren't these guys were ranked higher than #305 which is Majak's current ranking?

Please don't misunderstand me, I hope Majak can magically become a great player but outside of his height, probable work ethic/coachability and an awesome name this really seems like a reach, and below SU standards.

You need to read up on AO and Rick... I will leave it at that. AO was a gem and Rick was top 100 and both gave us a longstanding inside presence and some of the best post play since the 80s.

Also Fab struggled in year 1. He was a total beast in year two. Read up on him as well. He was ranked where he was based on potential which he had loads. The anchor to a 1 loss team and the only team that would have legitimately challenged UK in just his second year is hardly underachieving..

I see this a lot when we lose a recruit. There is always a positive report they put right afterwards...perhaps they want us to forget we lost out on Roberts to Washington of all schools. I haven't heard any mention about this guy anywhere until Roberts opted to go to Washington. So what are the chances of actually getting this guy seeing as Seton Hall, and others have had the inside track for a longer period of time? The one criticism I have is that like Tucker we end up trying to get back in with recruits when they themselves recognize maybe we weren't all that interested in them until something didn't pan out for us. Tucker should of been priority one and two for the staff for last years class and it wasn't Murray should have also been priority one and two but wasn't. Just a thought...

I see this a lot when we lose a recruit. There is always a positive report they put right afterwards...perhaps they want us to forget we lost out on Roberts to Washington of all schools. I haven't heard any mention about this guy anywhere until Roberts opted to go to Washington. So what are the chances of actually getting this guy seeing as Seton Hall, and others have had the inside track for a longer period of time? The one criticism I have is that like Tucker we end up trying to get back in with recruits when they themselves recognize maybe we weren't all that interested in them until something didn't pan out for us. Tucker should of been priority one and two for the staff for last years class and it wasn't Murray should have also been priority one and two but wasn't. Just a thought...

We had been looking at Majak for a while, simply because he used to play at the same school as Khalil Whitney. As it looked like UW was a big threat to land Roberts, we gave Majak a little more attention. You didn't hear about him because he was nowhere near a priority, plus he didn't have an SU offer. He still doesn't, though I think that could change soon.

As I said, if we were to offer don't be surprised if it happens. It's not a big deal either way. This is a project.

I believe he is the heir apparent to PC in the high dusting responsibilities at the practice facility. Either the staff thinks that PC will leave after this year, or they want to give Majak a year to learn under PC. Either way, the practice facility stays clean. It's a win in my book.

You need to read up on AO and Rick... I will leave it at that. AO was a gem and Rick was top 100 and both gave us a longstanding inside presence and some of the best post play since the 80s.

Also Fab struggled in year 1. He was a total beast in year two. Read up on him as well. He was ranked where he was based on potential which he had loads. The anchor to a 1 loss team and the only team that would have legitimately challenged UK in just his second year is hardly underachieving..

Rak didn't truly blossom until he was a senior. Fab wasn't good his first year. Given that they were both top 50 recruits one could argue that they should've been good from day one. That's what most are expecting of Bazely and Carey - to be immediate starters and possibly one/done. AO and Rick were good (adequate+ was a disservice). BUT my point is this, all these guys were rated higher than Majak. Why are we looking to a 300+ rated recruit for our center vacancy if PC leaves? He's a project at best, and beneath SU standards. Just my opinion. ;)

I won't criticize too harshly here because 2018 recruiting has restored my faith. He certainly looks a lot like Chukwu to me, but, with his length - if he can put himself in the right position defensively - and knows how to play like he is 7'1" then I can see the upside. A project I'm sure. I'll give the coaching staff a wide berth here.

That said, If Bazley and Carey weren't in the fold though...Couch burn!!

Rak didn't truly blossom until he was a senior. Fab wasn't good his first year. Given that they were both top 50 recruits one could argue that they should've been good from day one. That's what most are expecting of Bazely and Carey - to be immediate starters and possibly one/done. AO and Rick were good (adequate+ was a disservice). BUT my point is this, all these guys were rated higher than Majak. Why are we looking to a 300+ rated recruit for our center vacancy if PC leaves? He's a project at best, and beneath SU standards. Just my opinion. ;)

Won't argue with you on Rak and never did so not sure why you mentioned him again. It's also important to know that it is rare in all of college hoops for a big man to come in a be effective as a frosh. There are very few who do it and far more cases that prove that is the norm vs early dominance . Thus I would argue your expectations are extremely unrealistic and over simplifying how the center position is valued in college hoops and to our program.

Also while I am also not in favor of bringing Majak in , at least until we know what we have in PC and Sidibe, I think that a recruits ranking is far too narrow an approach to establish meeting program standards. Those standards should be about the staff's opinion of the whole picture current and potential. This paired with the makeup of the rest of the roster, future and other targets etc is much more important than a number. Of course all my "opinion" as well.

I realize you guys are talking about recent big men but if you go back a little farther, Seikaly was also a project when he got to SU. He red-shirted his freshman year, was just a raw talent and by his junior and senior years he was a complete stud. Probably the best big man in the country at that point. So there's that.

Why are we looking to a 300+ rated recruit for our center vacancy if PC leaves? He's a project at best, and beneath SU standards. Just my opinion. ;)

Not saying this is the reason, but having a third center on the roster is extremely valuable from a practice standpoint. A 6'2" walkon just isn't enough for a 5 to work against.

And yes, I'm talkin' about practice... :cool:

No offense but a hard no imagine him in the middle and then imagine Carrigan or Cockburn.

Seriously, I don't want to argue with anyone. I simply don't like Majak, and don't think he's worth a scholarship, especially if it's simply for practice purposes/depth as has been suggested. If that's the reason, get a grad transfer who won't take up four years. IMO he is way below our normal standards. We can simply agree to disagree, and that's ok.

Sadly, however, the vibe I'm getting is similar to the last time that I didn't like a guy we pursued and ultimately landed. At that time, it was as though a bunch of staff were on here and anyone who said they didn't like this player was given a difficult time. Unfortunately, since Waters wrote an article on Majak and there are lots of posts defending this potential offer, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Majur Majak will be coming aboard.

That said, I praise the staff when it is warranted, and have done so with the acquisitions of Carey and Bazely. But the truth is, the only power 5 school to offer Majak is Washington. In fact, only one ACC school (thus far) has a commitment from a player outside the top 300 rankings. There is nothing that anyone can say that will convince me that Majak is worth the offer, and I defend my right to post that I think he's nowhere near worthy of a four year scholarship.

Last edited:
Seriously, I don't want to argue with anyone. I simply don't like Majak, and don't think he's worth a scholarship, especially if it's simply for practice purposes/depth as has been suggested. If that's the reason, get a grad transfer who won't take up four years. IMO he is way below our normal standards. We can simply agree to disagree, and that's ok.

Sadly, however, the vibe I'm getting is similar to the last time that I didn't like a guy we pursued and ultimately landed. At that time, it was as though a bunch of staff were on here and anyone who said they didn't like this player was given a difficult time. Unfortunately, since Waters wrote an article on Majak and there are lots of posts defending this potential offer, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Majur Majak will be coming aboard.

That said, I praise the staff when it is warranted, and have done so with the acquisitions of Carey and Bazely. But the truth is, the only power 5 school to offer Majak is Washington. In fact, only one ACC school (thus far) has a commitment from a player outside the top 300 rankings. There is nothing that anyone can say that will convince me that Majak is worth the offer, and I defend my right to post that I think he's nowhere near worthy of a four year scholarship.

Seems like you have set your judgement in stone without having seen him play. Maybe a wait and see approach might be more prudent. I am not saying whether you are right or wrong, but we really know nothing about him at this point other than the fact that he is tall, African and Syracuse coaches have shown an interest. Again, I have watched one video of him so I am in no hurry to decide whether he will be worth a scholarship but outside of Washington, UConn and Seton Hall have also been linked with the kid as well.

Honestly I think you have a pre disposed interpretation to every opinion that counters your own. I was challenging your view on past players as the facts do not align with your perspective on them aside from Rak.

As it pertains to Majak all I see is many of us looking from a wider lens and seeing a possible project that could be a bad move but also one that deserves a bit more consideration until everything works it's way out.

No one is attacking you and it seems you are hung up on past threads for some reason. No one is on your case here at all. Just disagreeing at times and making valid counter arguments to your opinions. It's all good- no need to get riled up. We are all orange here.

Honestly I think you have a pre disposed interpretation to every opinion that counters your own. I was challenging your view on past players as the facts do not align with your perspective on them aside from Rak.

As it pertains to Majak all I see is many of us looking from a wider lens and seeing a possible project that could be a bad move but also one that deserves a bit more consideration until everything works it's way out.

No one is attacking you and it seems you are hung up on past threads for some reason. No one is on your case here at all. Just disagreeing at times and making valid counter arguments to your opinions. It's all good- no need to get riled up. We are all orange here.

Thank you. It is my opinion that I was unfairly punished a while back with censorship for defending an opinion. I see people put people down simply for expressing an opinion that differs from the consensus on a daily basis. Most lack the ability to decipher fact from opinion or speculation, especially if the source of the speculation is staff, and speak authoritatively. Perhaps I am sensitive but I come by it honestly.

That said, I think your post is in good faith. I don't necessarily agree that you all are looking with a "wider lens." I think perhaps a rosey orange one? I still believe that Majak is not worthy of a scholarship, and I will probably continue to express that in the future whether that is liked by others or not.

Anyhow, thank you for your civil response. Go Orange!

...I simply don't like Majak, and don't think he's worth a scholarship, especially if it's simply for practice purposes/depth as has been suggested. If that's the reason, get a grad transfer who won't take up four years. IMO he is way below our normal standards. We can simply agree to disagree, and that's ok.

...the truth is, the only power 5 school to offer Majak is Washington. In fact, only one ACC school (thus far) has a commitment from a player outside the top 300 rankings. There is nothing that anyone can say that will convince me that Majak is worth the offer, and I defend my right to post that I think he's nowhere near worthy of a four year scholarship.

I understand that this is your opinion and thats totally cool. But don't you give Boeheim and his staff the benefit of the doubt? I mean they are the professionals, they are the talent evaluators, they are the ones that know what they need and how much effort it willl take to make each recruit into what they want/need as coaches, no?

Sure there are hits and misses but as far as I know, you and I are just lay people. We're fans. Maybe some of us are a bit more knowkledgable than others but we don't get paid for this stuff. The Hall of Fame head coach and his staff do. By my count they've earned their salary and their accolades so I'm good with whatever they choose to do.

As far as other schools that offer the guy - personally that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Could be a million different reason a school does or does not want/need a particular guy.

I understand that this is your opinion and thats totally cool. But ...

I think you mean well, and you've helped me out in the past. I'm appreciative of that. I'm sure you don't mean it to sound this way, but this comes off as I understand that is your opinion and that's totally cool, but let me tell you why you need to reconsider.

I give JB and staff a lot of praise, and have eaten crow publicly, and will do so again if Majak magically becomes good. But I consider myself more than just a casual basketball fan, and follow recruiting very closely. I don't get to see as many of the guys we recruit anymore because I don't live in the Northeast anymore. Syracuse doesn't recruit too many guys in Duke and Tarheel country.

I LOVE Syracuse basketball. All I want is to see them succeed. I want JB to go out with another championship so badly. I just don't like Majak, and don't view him as a player who can help that dream become a reality. I wish I did. Peace.

Last edited:
Won't argue with you on Rak and never did so not sure why you mentioned him again. It's also important to know that it is rare in all of college hoops for a big man to come in a be effective as a frosh. There are very few who do it and far more cases that prove that is the norm vs early dominance . Thus I would argue your expectations are extremely unrealistic and over simplifying how the center position is valued in college hoops and to our program.

Also while I am also not in favor of bringing Majak in , at least until we know what we have in PC and Sidibe, I think that a recruits ranking is far too narrow an approach to establish meeting program standards. Those standards should be about the staff's opinion of the whole picture current and potential. This paired with the makeup of the rest of the roster, future and other targets etc is much more important than a number. Of course all my "opinion" as well.

Both you and JazzNC have and share valid points. I think we know what we have in Chukwu frankly...not much. Sidibe will be around 3-4 years. If Majak comes then it’s another African connection and a someone who Majak can learn from and probably be comfortable with. Can’t imagine Majak being a priority recruit. These 7-2 guys just don’t move well and aren’t physical/strong enough. Maybe he develops enough to contribute sometime down the road if he comes here. Otherwise he could be a good practice player to go up against, good student, etc. Can’t imagine they are prioritizing him over other Cs named in the thread. That would be crazy.

There are actually several that posted they agree with you that we should pass - I'm one of them. But you always freak out at anyone that posts a different opinion and keep posting the same stuff over and over.

There are actually several that posted they agree with you that we should pass - I'm one of them. But you always freak out at anyone that posts a different opinion and keep posting the same stuff over and over.

You're right, I probably do seem repetitive. That tends to happen when some people make it their mission to convince me I'm mistaken. I have even written in some posts feel free to scroll along, or we can agree to disagree. That hasn't worked. For some reason some folks can't grasp that they don't have to respond to a post they disagree with. I do get riled up when I'm told I'm wrong, or people act like religious zealots trying to convert me. I'm sorry if you thought I implied you were one.

I still don't like Majak. ;)

You're right, I probably do seem repetitive. That tends to happen when some people make it their mission to convince me I'm mistaken. I have even written in some posts feel free to scroll along, or we can agree to disagree. That hasn't worked. For some reason some folks can't grasp that they don't have to respond to a post they disagree with. I do get riled up when I'm told I'm wrong, or people act like religious zealots trying to convert me. I'm sorry if you thought I implied you were one.

I still don't like Majak. ;)
Hey, I've been wondering - how do you feel about this big fella Majak?

Both you and JazzNC have and share valid points. I think we know what we have in Chukwu frankly...not much. Sidibe will be around 3-4 years. If Majak comes then it’s another African connection and a someone who Majak can learn from and probably be comfortable with. Can’t imagine Majak being a priority recruit. These 7-2 guys just don’t move well and aren’t physical/strong enough. Maybe he develops enough to contribute sometime down the road if he comes here. Otherwise he could be a good practice player to go up against, good student, etc. Can’t imagine they are prioritizing him over other Cs named in the thread. That would be crazy.

I really hope we are all wrong and PC is a surprise. I think it would be ideal to let the cards fall a bit before committing on a big. In all honesty I had reservations on Roberts as well so this could work out to evaluating what we have a bit longer, keeping tabs on Majak and then seeing if there are any other late bloomers that come about or even a find like the Slovakian kid.